Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Shock Topic : Fox Shocks 2.5s and 2.0s bolt in

23K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  Craig.td42 
#1 · (Edited)
Is Shock Topic for the Fox Shocks Smooth Body Remotes. 2,2.5 and 3 inch
Post up feedback and the size shocks your running and what was needed to make them fit. E.g Bumpstops or raising shock mounts.

Fox has a new adjuster
2.5 Performance Series Smooth Body Remote - DSC Adjuster Smooth Body Shock | FOX Offroad

Dual Speed Compression
DSC (Dual Speed Compression)
With DSC, you can adjust the shock's high and low-speed compression damping by simply turning the external adjusters.

#2 ·
I've run Fox remotes res shocks (2.0 series, 5/8 shafts, no adjusters) for about three years now. 8" pin to pin front and 11" eye to eye rear. 542mm ext front and 713 mm ext rear. Paired with superior 3" medium coils.

Valving is 85/100 on rear and 65/80 front, 200 psi nitrogen pressure in all. I run 80 series bumpstops all around, from what I recall when I measured it all up I had about about 20mm shock travel at full static bump compression.

Very happy with the shocks, although I might play with the shims at some point as it needs slightly slower rebound especially when light load in the car, and could probably go a little softer in compression too. Kinda wish I splurged and got the adjusters, but I got my set when the AUD was buying 1.1 USD so I was pretty happy with the pricing :)

#3 ·
Scott did you buy from down south motor sport?

#5 ·
Bump - anybody else have some feedback on valving? Mine have done 25,000km now and I was thinking of rebuilding them myself and tinkering with the valving a little.

#6 ·
I haven't started playing with any shock internals as yet, but it is something that definitely has my interest. For how long I'm not sure...hahaha.
Found this link not too long back, I thought is was pretty good.
I figure it will take me several attempts to get it somewhere close to a satisfactory result before I say stuff it......it's good enough.

Off-Road Shock Tuning Guide | How To Tune and Valve Off-Road Racing Shocks

You may already know all this stuff. If so......can you pop over and help me with mine?
Free beer.:)

Hit the " more shim stack examples" link on the first page. Tons of info in and about this link.
Hope it helps some.

#7 ·
I have 2.0 Fox's in my GQ. Best thing I ever did.

The proof in the pudding was when the wife first got in the car, and told me how much more comfortable it was to drive in than the old Maverick.

What really takes a bit of getting used to is that they work better the harder you push them, so trying to find the limit can be interesting.

5 " Lift with 10" front Shocks and 12" rear shocks both with appropriate bump stop spacing.

I purchased mine from Pro Diesel, super service, and the best price I could find at the time.

Very happy with them, in fact I will be putting some performace series (non remote res) in my GU when the need arises for new shocks.

#9 ·
Had a dig around this morning Geordie, this sort of stuff interests me also.
Is this what you are chasing?
2.5 Factory Series Internal Bypass Reservoir - DSC Adjuster Truck Shock | FOX
Application guide PDF has open closed lengths.

Standard smooth body 2.5 remotes are around $650 a pop. I'm guessing these would be a bit more than that.

I didn't come across any that were pin to pin in this size and style. (Possible strength issues????) They may custom make them though if need be. I didn't dig too deep though tbh.

Racer Imports here in Aus would be able to help with your selection. I guess all you would need to tell them is the open / closed lengths taking into consideration your coil spring free height if concerned about the coils unseating. Sprung and unsprung weight shouldn't be too hard to calculate......Racer may know some of this info already........maybe.

#11 ·
This is another authorised dealer for Fox. Or was when I enquired into some parts last year. They all seem to swap and change a bit.
The guy that heads this company up builds some pretty wild machines. Too wild for most of us here I reckon. Would be a wealth of knowledge nonetheless, as I am lead to believe he lives and breathes this sort of stuff.

OPW - Offroad Performance Warehouse - 1300 OPW 4X4

Maybe worth a chat as well.

#13 ·
This thread over at IH8MUD for Fox 2.0s on 80s cruisers makes a good reference. I notice that they are typically valved similar to Patrols, i.e. 65/80 front and 80+/90+ rear. A few guys have played with "flutter" shims in the stacks with varying degrees of success. Of course everybody has different tastes in how they want their rig to ride in different terrain.

Fox Shox 2.0 post your valving and weight. | IH8MUD Forum

For now I am going to start by dropping my fronts from 200 to 150 psi to reduce effective spring rate and see the effects, as it it is overall too stiff on compression, particularly low speed compression. Time to start buying the tools to play!

#14 ·
I have 10'' front and rear in my gu ute. steel bar, tray, winch, dual batteriesect. 3 inch hd dobbos in the front and 3 inch medium kings in the back. over all the ride is a bit soft for my liking. had a valve change in the front but its needs to go further. seem to be set fairly soft from the states. Raised tower 15mm in the front, with spaced 80 bumps. seems to work well, atho i dont notice much difference from the shagged OME's they replaced at the current valving. altho im sure its just in the tuning

#17 ·
Fox

I had Fox remote reservoir shocks fitted by Heath at PID when i did my conversion. originally they were too soft. took them back and had them revalved. I have know idea what valving they have now......sorry but they are fantastic. Most notable when lightly loaded, gives you a much more comfortable ride and has gotten rid of the hard thump it used to have. They are a bit hard to get used to though. You think they are a bit wallowy (sorry couldn't think of a better word) when cornering but they will only compress so far then firm up right when you want them to. I have fitted 80 series bump stops to the front, with King springs and Kevlar wrapped air bags in the rear. Have done a Cape trip fully loaded and had no problems whatsoever. Give Heath a bell if you want more info, he can source them for you. I have a 2 inch lift.

Cheers

#18 ·
I had Fox remote reservoir shocks fitted by Heath at PID when i did my conversion. originally they were too soft. took them back and had them revalved. I have know idea what valving they have now......sorry but they are fantastic. Most notable when lightly loaded, gives you a much more comfortable ride and has gotten rid of the hard thump it used to have. They are a bit hard to get used to though. You think they are a bit wallowy (sorry couldn't think of a better word) when cornering but they will only compress so far then firm up right when you want them to. I have fitted 80 series bump stops to the front, with King springs and Kevlar wrapped air bags in the rear. Have done a Cape trip fully loaded and had no problems whatsoever. Give Heath a bell if you want more info, he can source them for you. I have a 2 inch lift.

Cheers
R they 2.0 or 2.5's

#19 ·
I've got a set of the 2.0 remote res but they were setup for my wagon 12 months ago.

Now that's got a GU cab and tray on the back are they even going to be suitable for running close to 900kg on the back (inc tray)

Getting them revalved is around $400 but I don't really want to have to pay that.

#23 ·
Fox's are softer than amada's. for what ever reason. I think that's because they're more of a racing shock.

I loved how they handled.

If you can afford Kings, then money isn't an issue ;)

But I think it's 50/50 hey. Fox come in a 3.5" as do Kings - no one I know has King 2.0's so I can't compare...

#30 ·
I agree It has to be in the valving. I've been trying hard to decide on a comfortable shock for too long. I've test driven kings and also tried fox's in my ute. Neither was what I was after. I'm thinking all of these monotube gas charged shocks are great for racing on, but are never going to be the most comfortable for general driving and offroad. I'm thinking of going the other way and trying something like the ironman foam cells pros.

#31 ·
It's all in the valving. I think it's wrong to consider any high end shock as an off the shelf solution. I can understand the idea that because of high initial spend that a buyer wants perfection out of the box. That's not what they should expect. You're paying for a better quality tuneable base that can be matched to your needs, rather than a generic, broad solution.

Cost vs benefit then needs to be asked I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.