Super smooth suspension - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-04-2012, 10:58 PM
4x4 Addiction

Default Super smooth suspension

What's needed to get a patrol suspension so it super smooth? Coil rates? Or just expensive shocks?

The smoothest 4x4 suspension I have ever experienced was LC 100 series with solid axels, off road we hit some small washouts at speed and I braced thinking we hit that with way to much speed. But when we hit the wash out it was so smooth it was honestly like the washout had disappeared .This rig was set up well but his suspension was nothing fancy, his shocks were the arb ltrs with the remote canisters.

What setup makes your patrol super smooth?

Last edited by sim79; 21-04-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-04-2012, 08:34 AM
"Toxic Personality"

Garage

on a budget; genuine bushes in good condition, new tie rod ends, correct geometry, old man emu coils and shocks, tough dog sv5000 damper.

no budget; king coilovers, king hydraulic bumpstops, new genuine bushes, superflex front arms, drop boxes, rear A frame, and rear longarms, tough dog front panhard, king damper, allans steering arms.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 22-04-2012, 08:49 AM

My 2c - adjustable shocks. They allow you to compesate for load and conditions, so you set them how you like.
Old 22-04-2012, 09:22 AM

The smoothest patrol I've been in was a heavy gu ute with 4 inch coils dropboxes and pro comp shocks, it was such a soft ride, off course vehicle control was non existent and body roll was interesting but it definitely rode nice. Also 15 inch rims I think the extra sidewall of the tyres helps a little bit maybe.

My Build thread:

[/CENTER]
Old 22-04-2012, 09:36 AM
SUI GENERIS UTE

Interesting subject this one, and dependent on the person assessing the level of comfort. For the pothole condition you used as an example which is only one of many suspension conditions depicting comfort level but for that particular condition spring rate and damper level and to a lesser degree suspension design controls how the car will feel. For our patrol, correctly set up hydralic bump stops can go a long way to help control the level of comfort for this condition. The trouble is for all this suspension design stuff its one big compromise, if you change one bit it effect another suspension effect. Say for this example if you change spring rates and damper valving to suit a pothole condition then the car would float on corrugations or roll on a turn that would be unacceptable and dip severely under braking on and on etc etc.. As a general rule progressive rate springs or air bags with correct dampering seem to be able to produce the ideal compromise for comfort level in these conditions.

Peter
Old 22-04-2012, 10:00 AM

or in this particular case it might be just a toyota thing. in all cruisers, (except the whole 70 something range) what amazed me most was how much more comfortable and smooth the ride is. they sh#t all over patrols in this department. compared mk to 60series, GQ to 80, GU to 100.
Old 22-04-2012, 10:30 AM
SUI GENERIS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karol View Post
or in this particular case it might be just a toyota thing. in all cruisers, (except the whole 70 something range) what amazed me most was how much more comfortable and smooth the ride is. they sh#t all over patrols in this department. compared mk to 60series, GQ to 80, GU to 100.
You would be right but as stated above design to a lesser degree. I don't think there is much difference when both are in standard height and trim, Range Rover is better again but for our Nissan it seem the higher you lift the car the worst it feels for just about every component of comfort..drop boxes do help but for some reason not as much as you would expect. I think it has a lot to do with the length, position and angle of the radius arm.

Peter
Old 22-04-2012, 10:38 AM
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION

Smoothness depends firstly and mainly on your suspension geometry.
Front arms and rear upper and lower arms with mount points in line horizontally give the smoothest ride but it's a compromise with lifted rigs.
Spring rates to suit your weight plays an important part but the type of shocks used and their long term durability will have a major impact and this is the area where the main improvements can be made when geometry is compromised with lifts etc.
The best ride I've experienced in a coil Patrol so far (4" lift and drop arms) had Fox 2 shocks. Didn't even feel those pesky speed humps at any speed. The wheels went up and down so smoothly without the body moving up or down at all like it stayed level.
My 2c
Old 22-04-2012, 04:01 PM
4x4 Addiction

Well it sound like I have everything right other than decent shocks. Mine seem to be leaking from the adjusters so they will need replacing soon
Old 22-04-2012, 04:35 PM
"Toxic Personality"

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim79 View Post
Well it sound like I have everything right other than decent shocks. Mine seem to be leaking from the adjusters so they will need replacing soon
i never regret spending good money on anything. . . i rarely regret buying the cheap option either. . . . . because i dont do it!

Kings.
Old 22-04-2012, 05:15 PM
4x4 Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket_1985 View Post
i never regret spending good money on anything. . . i rarely regret buying the cheap option either. . . . . because i dont do it!

Kings.
I have heard the kings are great quality and don't seem to get leaks. But I also heard their open and closed lengths aren't well suited for patrols.
Can you buy them here as bolt on kit with the right pressures?
What's the pricing like?
They look easier to fit due the hose for the remote canister being closer to the base. The shocks with the canister hoses coming of the top need the front shock towers removed to get the canister out.

Last edited by sim79; 22-04-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 22-04-2012, 05:25 PM
"Toxic Personality"

Garage

Quote:
I have heard the kings are great quality and don't seem to get leaks. But I also heard there open on closed lengths aren't well suited for patrols.
Yes, phone Allan at racebred4wd . . . . 0351 341 007

he is an official king distributor, and knows all about them and patrols. he did weemans, and mine. . . . supplies brackets, mounts, and bolt-in kits to patrols for their bumpstops/dampers/shocks/coilovers etc and can easily organize shocks specific for your car. does nitrogen charging, rebuilding, custom valving, and shims. . . . .
Old 22-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Large diameter tyres too.
If you hit a 1 foot diameter pothole on 37s its way smoother than on 31s.
Low spring rates, correct shock tuning, not too much lift without geometry correction.
Old 22-04-2012, 09:40 PM
.........50 Shades of Yom

Another issue is your arse is placed over the rear axle in a shorty.

No such thing as a nice ride back there.
Old 22-04-2012, 11:57 PM

My GQ has all fairly new genuine bushes, 4" suspension stuff flexxy coils and bilstein 5165s rr. I'm super happy with this set-up after having OME, EFS, Dobinson, and Procomp. When setting up the GQ my aim was to make it as smooth as an 80series. I have two toyota mates one with a 100series and one with an 80series(OME 2"). They both have commented on how smooth the ol GQ is down rutted tracks.

My next step is swapping the drop arms for drop boxes. Mine does jarr throught the chassis a bit.
Old 23-04-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I have heard the kings are great quality and don't seem to get leaks. But I also heard their open and closed lengths aren't well suited for patrols.
What's the pricing like?
They look easier to fit due the hose for the remote canister being closer to the base. The shocks with the canister hoses coming of the top need the front shock towers removed to get the canister out.
Kings are definately the way to go. King does a replacement oem shock for patrols. Get onto this mob, you wont find ANYONE that sells kings cheaper.

Downsouth Motorsports - King Shocks - Fox Shocks - Bilstein Shocks

Dealer of method race wheels
Dealer of fox shocks
Dealer of currie sway bars
Old 23-04-2012, 08:17 AM
4x4 Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLAW565 View Post
Kings are definately the way to go. King does a replacement oem shock for patrols. Get onto this mob, you wont find ANYONE that sells kings cheaper.

Downsouth Motorsports - King Shocks - Fox Shocks - Bilstein Shocks
Wow and thanks for the link great prices!

Is it worth the extra $80 for the adjuster? And where can you get the recharged around Brisbane?
Can you use the pigback mounts on the rear shocks?

Last edited by sim79; 23-04-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 23-04-2012, 09:01 AM

So where on this website is the stuff that suits us Sim?
Old 23-04-2012, 09:18 AM
4x4 Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQshayne View Post
So where on this website is the stuff that suits us Sim?
Click on the king shocks and scroll down to the 2. performance series smooth body, there 3 cheap options and heaps more expensive options if your racing.
Old 23-04-2012, 10:05 AM

sim,
if you are keen and able to come up brisbane northside one day for a test run, i have a setup you will love! and for a great price. I have been playing with shim setups and i think you will be amazed on how well we have got them to ride. I may be able put you in a few rigs with different brands to try, we have rigs with kings, fox, profender and amada.

pm me if you want more info.
Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification