Clunk/knocking noise braking and bumps - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Suspension and Steering

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 09:51 AM

Default Clunk/knocking noise braking and bumps

I have a strange mysterious problem i have been chasing for months. It all started when a bus pulled out in front of me and i had to jump on the brakes hard.

When braking or hitting bumps in the road i have this knocking/clonk noise. pretty solid sounding, almost like metal on metal. when braking its repeated knock until coming to a stop, on bumps its a loud noise just once on compression and decompression. It can be felt through the floor.

also when hitting smaller bumps the steering wheel shimmy's left and right a bit and makes the steering feel incredibly light.

things i have done; (it made the noise before and after no worse or better)new shocks, new springs, superflex hybrid arms, wheel bearings, shock towers, tie rod ends, adjusted wheel bearings, checked caliper bolts, fixed elongated radius arm holes ( welded washers on RH side and tac welded superflex plates to LH side)

Basically, its getting worse. it first started out as the noise when braking heavily, but its slowly become more profound even when lightly braking.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017, 11:34 AM

I had a clunk in my patrol and found the front body mounts near the radiator to be totally shot. Just installed new ones and it seems to have gone. That shouldn't have anything to do with your steering shimmy though. Maybe the panhard rod bushes are flogged out.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:20 PM

will check body mounts, just use a pry bar and try lever them and see how much movement? how much movement is too much? can i just tighten them up a bit for now?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 16-01-2017, 02:18 PM

I had a visible gab between the body and body mount. Tightening them won't help. Pretty sure that there is a metal sleeve running through the centre. It was a bit of a nightmare to do as the bolt had rusted to that metal sleeve. Pretty common. I had to undo all the one side body mounts and jack the body up to get enough room to get it out.
Old 16-01-2017, 06:39 PM

Another heads up for body mounts. When replacing them ....if you can afford them use the genuine Nissan ones....as the aftermarket ones have a lot harder rubber compound....and turn the body into a giant sounding board.

Cheers Keith