Do I need extended brake lines for 2" lift GQ? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Suspension and Steering

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-12-2016, 05:53 PM

Default Do I need extended brake lines for 2" lift GQ?

Hi guys
If im going 2" lift with std to firmer spring rates, not super flexy, do I need extended lines?
If I change to 2 degree offset caster bushes with the lift would this necessitate the extended lines?

I have seen some kits and when they include the caster correction they also include the extended lines, whereas bare bones spring and shock kits make no mention of it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-12-2016, 07:42 PM

Yes to extended lines, yes to caster bushes, yes to extended brake bias bracket, yes to sway bar link extensions.

Get the braided lines while you are at it, marginal extra cost well worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACMPatrol For This Useful Post:
05_ENFORCER (29-12-2016)
Old 27-12-2016, 07:45 PM

Apart from the lift side of things, extended brake lines make changing springs much easier.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 27-12-2016, 07:54 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 4,501 Times in 3,187 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy_sa View Post
Hi guys
If im going 2" lift with std to firmer spring rates, not super flexy, do I need extended lines?
If I change to 2 degree offset caster bushes with the lift would this necessitate the extended lines?

I have seen some kits and when they include the caster correction they also include the extended lines, whereas bare bones spring and shock kits make no mention of it.
I'm still running std brake lines, never got around to replacing them, will one day, but I've had my 3" lift for a number of years now without issue. I'm not in anyway recommending you shouldn't, just putting up my experience so far.

My 2 cents worth.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Old 27-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,611 Posts

Had 2" in my old GQ and currently in my GU with the factory lines..... The brake lines are not "Needed" but if you want to spend the extra coin for piece of mind go for it.
Old 27-12-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMPatrol View Post
Yes to extended lines, yes to caster bushes, yes to extended brake bias bracket, yes to sway bar link extensions.

Get the braided lines while you are at it, marginal extra cost well worth it.

I wasn't aware of the sway bar link extensions or bias bracket - again like the brake lines it seems not everyone does it.
Seems ARB make an extension plate that fits GU - not sure if GQ is different:
Just fitted OME sway bar extension brackets
otherwise VT commodore items also work according to this:
GQ sway bars links
Old 27-12-2016, 09:01 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 4,501 Times in 3,187 Posts
Garage

Quote:

I wasn't aware of the sway bar link extensions or bias bracket - again like the brake lines it seems not everyone does it.
Seems ARB make an extension plate that fits GU - not sure if GQ is different:
Just fitted OME sway bar extension brackets
otherwise VT commodore items also work according to this:
GQ sway bars links
You can adjust the brake bias bracket, I can post a pic of roughly what it should look like, if you like. Sway bar links are something that is really not an a absolute, you can get away without them, most hardcore offroaders disconnect anyway, again I drove around for ages with the std links before doing extensions, the average person really isn't going to pick much of a difference.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Old 29-12-2016, 03:34 PM

Whether or not you need extended lines depends on the open length of your shocks, not on the height of the springs. A lot of 2" lift kits come with stock length shocks while a lot of people with 2" springs run 4 " shocks for extra flex.

I'd say if in doubt change them because they don't cost much but if you are on a tight budget you can put your existing rear line on the front and a new longer line just on the rear.
Old 29-12-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboard View Post
Whether or not you need extended lines depends on the open length of your shocks, not on the height of the springs. A lot of 2" lift kits come with stock length shocks while a lot of people with 2" springs run 4 " shocks for extra flex.

I'd say if in doubt change them because they don't cost much but if you are on a tight budget you can put your existing rear line on the front and a new longer line just on the rear.
I'm sorry but I would not be putting the rear line on the front to save money. These rubber lines perish with age and being a GQ this line is now at least 20 years old. I would not be putting a 20+ year old brake hose on the truck at all let alone putting it on the front where the braking force is considerably greater. If you are on a tight budget just get a longer line for the front at least.

Whether you need it or not is a hard call given plenty say they haven't. I know on my ute with 2" lift the rear is fine but the front was marginal. to the point I unbolted it off the diff till I decided what I wanted to do. On a hoist you could see it was pulling pretty tight so I wasn't game to push it. I've now decided to go 3" lift so will be replacing both with something longer and newer.

The lift issue aside old lines do not help the already average braking of a GQ, or GU for that matter, with heavier bigger rubber. Brake hoses should actually be considered a consumable item.

For the record I didn't do extended swaybar links or caster bushes and the truck drove fine, so you can stagger or exclude some things depending on how your own rig actually drives.
Old 29-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Sydoforumsuperfan :)

Thanked 1,285 Times in 933 Posts

My rear brake line wouldn't go on the front. Different ends ?
Old 30-12-2016, 09:44 AM
The Googlest, Apparently!

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,529 Posts

I have 2in lift with GVM upgrade, longer (slightly) travel shocks. Standard, but braided, brake lines.

No issues.
Old 30-12-2016, 09:53 AM

Search safebrake on eBay. $285 for a complete set of braided brake lines for a 2" lift.
Old 30-12-2016, 01:44 PM

I've never had any issues with just a 2" lift but they are getting older so probably worth doing any way with braided lines. I replaced mine when I went 4" lift with braided and it seems to have improved the feel not as spongy probably the main reason lines were 23 yrs old.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:07 PM

Is $285 a good price, are these exact items used by forum members? I've seen various prices but wasn't sure how good the cheapest were or even if there is a specification they must meet?

Sent from mTalk
Old 02-01-2017, 10:34 PM

The $285 was for a complete replacement set for my GU. The GQ disc/disc sets are the same price but if your GQ is disc/drum the set is $235. I am very happy with them, good quality gear. They are ADR 42/04 compliant, SAE J1401 compliant, DOT-5 fluid compatible, made to OEM specification, and PTFE hose certified ISO/TS 16949:2009 (google is your friend if you want to know the standards they comply to). Every hose tested to 3500 psi and 5 year replacement warranty, anyhow that's the information they came with. They fitted straight on with no issues, I am happy with the price. I decided to replace all my lines due to my patrol being 10 years old.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mc View Post
, DOT-5 fluid compatible, .
Is that relevant if the rest of the system is still only say DOT 3 ???
Old 03-01-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mc View Post
The $285 was for a complete replacement set for my GU. The GQ disc/disc sets are the same price but if your GQ is disc/drum the set is $235. I am very happy with them, good quality gear. They are ADR 42/04 compliant, SAE J1401 compliant, DOT-5 fluid compatible, made to OEM specification, and PTFE hose certified ISO/TS 16949:2009 (google is your friend if you want to know the standards they comply to). Every hose tested to 3500 psi and 5 year replacement warranty, anyhow that's the information they came with. They fitted straight on with no issues, I am happy with the price. I decided to replace all my lines due to my patrol being 10 years old.

Thanks mate ill look into these. I might go braided from chassis to diff and OEM from diff to caliper. Seems braided is not recommended for the front on GQs.

Sent from mTalk
Old 04-01-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks mate ill look into these. I might go braided from chassis to diff and OEM from diff to caliper. Seems braided is not recommended for the front on GQs.

Sent from mTalk
Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

GQ doesn't have a different hydraulic brake technology from most other vehicles. Better hoses are always better.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerGU View Post
Is that relevant if the rest of the system is still only say DOT 3 ???
Yes good point fester, I was sharing information on a product. Might of been relevant to someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Mc For This Useful Post:
Jonesy_sa (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMPatrol View Post
Not sure how you come to that conclusion.
GQ doesn't have a different hydraulic brake technology from most other vehicles. Better hoses are always better.
Not my conclusion but that of some manufactures.

Do a search for GQ braided lines in Google. Lots of threads from a few years back suggesting the diff to caliper distance on the front of gq's was too short for the stiff lines and various retailers were not selling or recommending they be installed.
I cant remember which sellers were advising it but the threads covered it. With that said plenty of people have installed them.

Last edited by Jonesy_sa; 04-01-2017 at 10:41 PM.