Feedback on suspension kits - Page 2 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Suspension and Steering

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-11-2016, 10:46 AM

Garage

I did notice quite a bit of difference when I test drove a few Patrols before buying mine. And like you mentioned GQshayne, the big thing I noticed was the steering......some of them were shuddering badly between 80 & 100km/h. I'm not suggesting for a minute that mine is perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad as some of the others I experienced.

I also rang up this morning to find out if those XTR shocks are back in stock, and it looks like it's all systems go for the new tyres and lift kit to be fitted tomorrow.....can't wait!
I was told that the castor correction bushes being used are definitely rubber, but he couldn't say with certainty whether the bushes in the shocks are rubber or poly. Wait and see I guess.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Most of the shock bushes will be rubber I think, so you should be ok there.

When you have it all sorted, if you still have a bit of steering wheel shudder, this is most likely related to camber, not caster. With all new bushes etc it may be fine, but camber on the Patrol can be an issue. You can correct it with aftermarket parts if it is necessary. See how you go.

Work in progress!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 22-11-2016, 10:04 AM

Garage

Thanks for the advice.....didn't really consider that camber might be an issue. I'll keep an eye on it.
The car is in the workshop as we speak, so hopefully it all goes smoothly with the lift kit install and there's no unforeseen issues like needing extended brake lines or sway bar extensions like I've heard some people mention.

Completely off topic, I've been keeping a log of my fuel consumption since I bought the car just over 2 months ago, and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by its lack of thirstiness.
My old D4D dual cab Hilux was always in the 10/10.5 Litres per 100km range, and the Patrol is very consistently returning 11.4/11.8 Litres per 100km....I was expecting quite a bit worse, given how heavy the GU is.
Is this normal for a non-turbo TD42??

Old 22-11-2016, 05:23 PM

To be honest I could not say for sure, but sounds about right.

Work in progress!
Old 24-11-2016, 03:16 PM

Garage

Got the lift kit and tyres fitted on Tuesday, so here's a few figures that I jotted down pre and post install.

Centre of hub to bottom of guard......Front left - 54cm before, 59.5cm after
Front right - 53cm before, 59cm after
Rear Left - 54cm before, 61cm after
Rear Right - 53cm before, 61cm after

Ground to sill.......Left hand side - 38.8cm before, 48.3cm after
Right hand side - 37.5cm before, 47cm after

Diff clearance.......Front - 24cm before, 25cm after
Rear - 23cm before, 25cm after

I also noticed that the bigger tyres haven't affected the engine revs in all of the gears.
4th gear @ 60km/h is still 1600rpm
5th gear @ 80km/h is still 1800rpm
5th gear @ 100km/h is still 2200rpm
But having said that, I can definitely feel it working harder to gather speed.....especially taking off from the lights!

All in all I'm very happy with the outcome, and glad that I didn't go more heavy duty with the springs & shocks, as they're about as firm as I'm willing to tolerate.

Thanks to all that provided input and advice. Much appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg standard height pic 1.jpg (20.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg lift pic 1.jpg (48.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg lift pic 2.jpg (52.6 KB, 101 views)
Old 27-11-2016, 03:09 PM

If you are happy then that is the main thing.

A change in tyre size, which alters the diameter of the tyre, will ALWAYS change your gearing. This is an absolute. So you may not have noticed it, but any change in tyre diameter will effect your final drive ratio, as the tyre is the last link in the chain.

Work in progress!
Old 27-11-2016, 05:38 PM

^^ this.

Your larger tyres will affect revs in ALL your gears, impossible not to.

Your front and rear diff clearance will increase by the same amount from the tyre increase. You can't get a difference unless the previous front and rear tyres were worn very unevenly.
Old 29-11-2016, 07:06 PM

Garage

I'm happy with my choice of suspension & tyres. The Nitto's are pretty quiet on road, and I think they're a good compromise between an all-terrain and a really aggressive mud-terrain tyre. I suspect that if I opted for 35's the car would have been painful to get off the line from traffic lights and general driving around town. (maybe in the future with the addition of a turbo I might think about revisiting the idea of 35s)
Curiosity got the better of me with regard to the gearing, so I decided to line up one of the old 265/75s next to the new ones, and was surprised to see that the 285s aren't that much taller, especially given that the old ones are fairly worn. Maybe this explains why the gearing appears to be the same or very similar??
Like I mentioned previously, the main thing I noticed was a bit more right foot needed to get it going from the lights.
No idea why I got 1cm difference with the diff clearance, but that was the measurement I got and all 4 old tyres have a similar amount of tread remaining.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris GU View Post
[3] Ok I'll fit some, it's the only way to know which side is telling the truth. Should we look at the Dobinson polyurethane ones (https://www.superiorengineering.com....urethane-10332) or something like the Superior ones (https://www.superiorengineering.com....-patrol-8843)?
The thread's aged a bit but figured it's good to follow up.

I bought the 2 deg. Superior Engineering castor correction bushes (https://www.superiorengineering.com....gu-patrol-8843) and had them fitted in December. There's a change in the feel of the steering - it feels "firmer"? less "flaky"? Not sure how to describe it, but it feels more right than it did before.

Unfortunately it wasn't a cheap job, though - $180 for the bushes, $230 odd for the install.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:13 AM

Garage

I understand as a stand alone modification it's not that cheap, but when I was already spending $1600 on the lift kit another $200 for the offset castor bushes made sense to me.

And I figured that with an 18 year old car, any chance to reduce some of the 'sloppiness' in handling/steering was a good idea.