Ironman foam cell pro - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Suspension and Steering

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 10:41 AM

Default Ironman foam cell pro

Ironman has a new shock, does anyone know if they are any good?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2014, 09:16 PM

Great shock & great value for money.
Have them in my own car.
Cheers
Old 15-10-2014, 03:37 PM

Garage

I am getting some installed sometime this month. Just awaiting their arrival.

The current (Monroe) original shocks that are on it at the moment are fine, since I brought the vehicle third-hand (two previous owners) from what I can determine I am not sure of it's history, although the mechanic said he doubted very much it had done any serious off-road work at all, as it was in to good of condition mechanical and body wise.

So I decided to fit new shocks, just to be on the 'safe' side plus this would give me the spares needed for the more bone shattering tracks one will come across.

Once they are fitted I will get back to you on how they ride on and off road.

Old 15-10-2014, 04:35 PM

Hey mate, just went and checked them out this afternoon....there isn't much feed back out on them yet but they look impressive. Just wondering what vehicle and set up you are looking at and $$$? i just got priced for a 2" Heavy Duty set up $1800 installed with a new steering damper for my GU.
Old 15-10-2014, 04:59 PM

I bought a set of 4" foamcell pros the day they came out, Great shock and very comfortable ride compared to the OME i had previously...
Old 18-10-2014, 09:55 AM
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION

Putting them on mine soon!
I've had the std Ironman Foam Cells for the last 2 years and they are going great but only done about 15,000km on them. Have given them a hard time too, the dirt roads/tracks around here are as rough as guts.

As for reviews the Pro's are said to be valved very differently than the std foam cells but give a great ride. I know of a couple who run them in their comp trucks (Patrols) and they love em! Fat Big bore, big shaft, huge capacity.
Ironman say the Pro's have the best of everything in them (seals, valving, shims, oil, 3mm thick tubes etc etc) and are rebuildable and adjustable. Up to 8" lift lengths too for Patrols and Cruisers.
Well priced too from around $220 each

Cant wait
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 18-10-2014, 10:05 AM

Putting them on mine soon!
I've had the std Ironman Foam Cells for the last 2 years and they are going great but only done about 15,000km on them. Have given them a hard time too, the dirt roads/tracks around here are as rough as guts.

As for reviews the Pro's are said to be valved very differently than the std foam cells but give a great ride. I know of a couple who run them in their comp trucks (Patrols) and they love em! Fat Big bore, big shaft, huge capacity.
Ironman say the Pro's have the best quality of everything in them (seals, valving, shims, oil, 3mm thick tubes etc etc) and are rebuildable and adjustable. Up to 8" lift lengths too for Patrols and Cruisers.
Well priced too from around $220 each

Cant wait
Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM

Any more feedback of these i'm very close to handing over my cash to zordo for a set of these. just got to see if i can get a cheap bumper for my wifes car or if ill end up going insurance.
#74 CRD PATROL CLUB MEMBER
Old 10-11-2014, 04:28 AM

I had old foam cell and the old saying, once bitten....twice shy.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:34 PM

I'm looking forward to write up on these and user experience, maybe a comparison, as when the time comes it looks to be a good option for us.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Had them on a previous patrol and they were great
Old 10-11-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
I'm looking forward to write up on these and user experience, maybe a comparison, as when the time comes it looks to be a good option for us.
I've been looking everywhere for a review can't find anything
#74 CRD PATROL CLUB MEMBER
Old 19-11-2014, 01:50 PM

Try getting in contact with a Greg Smith from Ironmans R&D. He runs them on his Cliffhanger GQ comp rig
Old 07-12-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZORDO View Post
Great shock & great value for money.
Have them in my own car.
Cheers
I put mine yesterday, the 6" ones.

It's transformed the ride alright in a good way. Mine is a heavy rig.

I had their std foam cells in before and by the "seat of my pants feel" these Foam Cell Pro's are valved a bit firmer on compression and more on rebound than their std foamys.
They are a fat shock too ppls. You need to make sure you have clearance in the front shock tower holes and at the rear: your exhaust and corrected pinion angle if lifted so they dont rub the coils or diff pad plates during any cycle of the suspension.

My first impressions.........VERY IMPRESSED!
The Following User Says Thank You to sudso For This Useful Post:
the big rig (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudso View Post

I had their std foam cells in before and by the "seat of my pants feel" these Foam Cell Pro's are valved a bit firmer on compression and more on rebound than their std foamys.
They are a fat shock too ppls. You need to make sure you have clearance in the front shock tower holes and at the rear: your exhaust and corrected pinion angle if lifted so they dont rub the coils or diff pad plates during any cycle of the suspension.

Yes and they even offset the lower on the shock to reduce coil contact
Cheers
Old 07-12-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZORDO View Post
Yes and they even offset the lower on the shock to reduce coil contact
Cheers
Not only that they are the same bush fitting that factory shocks have on GU's. Not sure what happens when the bush wears out though. Its all molded in the eye.
I like too how Ironman have welded the bush eyes on an angle in their adjustable arms, same as factory
Old 08-12-2014, 05:03 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudso View Post

I have got ironman foam cells in my GQ at the moment and I have found them a bit firm. They are perfect with a loaded car trailer in tow however daily driving is a bit uncomfortable. Am I reading it right in that you are saying the Pros are firmer again?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
I have got ironman foam cells in my GQ at the moment and I have found them a bit firm. They are perfect with a loaded car trailer in tow however daily driving is a bit uncomfortable. Am I reading it right in that you are saying the Pros are firmer again?
A bit more on the compression but heaps smoother ride anyway. Rebound is a lot better, the wheels etc move up and down through bumps etc but the body hardly at all. Bit like those trophy trucks. Haven't even put the front ones in yet.
Was wrong about the lower bushes Zordo, just press the whole shell out to replace. BTW my lower mounts aren't offset which I thought they should considering the rears are 13.5" travel. Spaced the RHS out 3mm though as that's the one thats closer to the coil
The Following User Says Thank You to sudso For This Useful Post:
the big rig (11-12-2014)
Old 17-12-2014, 09:42 AM

Just ordered a set of these in 6" off Zordo. Excellent service and price. Will see how they go on my heavy beast.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2jz929 For This Useful Post:
the big rig (17-12-2014)
Old 23-12-2014, 03:35 PM

Just got Foam Cell Pros installed today, only had a short drive home but the car feels totally different....for the better. Now I've gotta decide 32's or 33's on the factory rims and get it off road... keen to see how they perform!
The Following User Says Thank You to Brown Hornet For This Useful Post:
the big rig (23-12-2014)