Are new-ish GU "free" from wheel wobble? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Suspension and Steering

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-06-2016, 08:17 PM

Default Are new-ish GU "free" from wheel wobble?

Hi All,

Wheel wobble, steering shudder, shimmy all those have been reviewed lots and lots of times, but my impression from reading all the threads so far seem to indicate that on older GUs which have got 100,000, 200,000 km or even more on the odo.

My question is somewhat different that the vehicle in question (GU9, 2013 built) was purchased brand new 2 years ago, currently with 25,000km on the clock. It has had easy life, mostly bitumen, occasional dirt tracks, and odd offroad trips which are not hard. It has been lightly loaded, standard suspension and tyres, well maintained (alignment and balance).

Yet, at 110kph, it still develops minor shudder. I originally posted this:
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/suspe...useful-327306/
as shudders started at 100kph, but after tightening the undercarriage, bushings etc (found the cross member bolts to be a little loose), the wobble now starts at 110kph (so it's improved but not total eradication of that symptom). Tyre rotations don't seem to help. For info this symptom was first noticed when the vehicle had only done 10,000km.

My question: can new-ish GUs really be wobble-free? (especially at 80 to 115 kph). Could those who have new-ish GUs confirm please? I'll continue with the search for fix but if it's an impossible task, probably I just need to learn to accept it and enjoy the slower ride (and live with the "built-in speed-limiting feature").

Thanks

Last edited by jm2004; 25-06-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-06-2016, 08:21 PM

2011 gu wobble free here.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 24-06-2016, 08:21 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 4,767 Times in 3,361 Posts
Garage

No, nothing has really changed under there, they are still the agricultural GU they have always been, when things wear you can get wheel wobble again. I have been pretty lucky with my 2000 GU, I get a tiny bit from time to time but it's not a problem yet.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Old 24-06-2016, 09:06 PM

Garage

Just because it is new doesn't mean all the tolerances are spot on. They are all the same underneath. Look at the simple things first. You would think the panhards bushes etc would be fine. I would be looking at wheel bearings and king pin bearing shims.
Old 24-06-2016, 09:26 PM
4x4 Addiction

No, new or old nothing has changed.

It's just wear and tear or something is loose.
Old 24-06-2016, 10:53 PM

Adjusting front wheel bearings regularly keeps mine at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24-06-2016, 11:22 PM

Garage

2013 model, 35,000km. have wobble. 305/70/16 BFG KM2 on -13 16x8 Dynamic rims 2" lift
Old 20-07-2016, 09:59 PM

Thanks for all the advice and comments, and as such I thought it'd only be appropriate to share what I've done. On tightening "everything" around the suspension and chassis, it was found that the chassis cross-member was a little loose. The car now drives wobble free - but the mild shudder seems to still be there on and off at 110kmh+

Enough for me to be happy again for now i.e. at or below 110km (on speedo, so real speed is still 5kmh less). But I admit I hadn't checked the bearing preload. I presume it'll fix the remaining mild and occasional shudder.

Cheers
Old 20-07-2016, 11:21 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 1,207 Times in 931 Posts

Wheel balance is critical because it is the major thing that starts or sets-of the wobbles. Having wheels out of balance is the major factor causing repetitive vibration and force on all components causing them to wear out. trying to hide the problem by fitting a return to center damper, or by tightening the crap out of the pivot bearings only masks the problem for a period till other parts wear out.

So getting the wheel alignment spot on including the correct castor and panhard rod adjustment to hold it central is important to reducing the wear on all components. But having the wheels balanced reduces the vibrations and wear on all steering and suspension over the long term.

Mine was great for the first few years till I changed to bigger tyres and steel wheels which were harder to get balanced well and then the problems started.

GU4, But it is not going anywhere til we rebuild it better, stronger, maybe even a little faster.
Old 31-12-2016, 08:37 PM

Default it's fixed

Hi All, I thought best to update this thread (also as appreciation to those who kindly provided advices), that I got "all" bolts tightened up incl. those on chassis cross member (apparently that was a little loose), ensured all wheels are balanced, alignment is correct, wheel bearings are not loose, and it seems to be OK now. Essentially as suggested above.

I mean no wobble has been noticed (only tried up to 115kph on speed i.e. 110kph as per GPS). I do notice though what I thought as unsprung weight i.e. the tyres seem to wobble (bounce?) a little on uneven roads (e.g. Hume hwy) but nothing caused the wobble. Well at least for now while the vehicle is still pretty much standard and has only done 30,000km.

Have a great New Year of 2017 to all, may your Patrols continue to run well
Old 21-01-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2004 View Post
Hi All, I thought best to update this thread (also as appreciation to those who kindly provided advices), that I got "all" bolts tightened up incl. those on chassis cross member (apparently that was a little loose), ensured all wheels are balanced, alignment is correct, wheel bearings are not loose, and it seems to be OK now. Essentially as suggested above.

I mean no wobble has been noticed (only tried up to 115kph on speed i.e. 110kph as per GPS). I do notice though what I thought as unsprung weight i.e. the tyres seem to wobble (bounce?) a little on uneven roads (e.g. Hume hwy) but nothing caused the wobble. Well at least for now while the vehicle is still pretty much standard and has only done 30,000km.

Have a great New Year of 2017 to all, may your Patrols continue to run well
Thanks mate. thanks for your information. I have a 2013 GU8 only did 40K. wobble between 80-115. Adjusted the wheel bearing, adjusted the steering box, replaced the panhard rod bush, wheel ali, tyre balanced 3 times but nothing changed. I'll have a look at the crossmember. thank you
Old 09-02-2017, 12:19 PM

@Himhim007
Unfortunately it's not that simple. What I wrote did help managing it but not fully eradicating the symptoms.

A couple of weeks ago I did another highway trip and the wobble seemed to come and go. On smooth highways, yes I can drive to 110+ kph (on speedo, because actual speed is 5 kph less), but when there are minor road bumps / uneven surfaces, the wobble comes back every now and then. Not too bad, so just by dropping the speed to 90+ kph it stabilised again. And this was only perhaps 1000-2000 km after the "fix" I did.

Now that I've checked and tightened everything, my next steps are:
- regularly tighten those spots (widely documented on this Forum)
- and install after-market steering damper (will share the experience after I've done this)

Cheers
Old 09-02-2017, 03:03 PM

As I have said in the past ..... my 2014 has had wheel shakes from new. It got gradually worse after the 2" lift, steel wheels & 33" tyres. I have exhausted all options trying to sort this and I admit, it has beaten me. It's got to the point that I hate driving it on road and am considering selling it when the time is right. Other than this annoying issue, I love the truck, but I'm not prepared to keep a $60,000 2014 vehicle that I don't what to drive. I can't justify keeping it just because it's great off road.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Educated Fool

King Pin Bearing Preload.

That was the only thing that stopped mine. Still no wobble after 100000k. Not a hard job.

Franky.
The Following User Says Thank You to Franky73 For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (09-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky73 View Post
King Pin Bearing Preload.

That was the only thing that stopped mine. Still no wobble after 100000k. Not a hard job.

Franky.
Thanks Franky, I may do this instead of installing stronger steering damper. Either way will advise.
Like Bazzaboy, I too really like my GU but this wobble does spoil the enjoyment of our trips, plus the fact mine has just done 29,000km, has no lift, been through very easy life (no hard 4WDriving), mostly being used to go to church on Sundays (not joking ) and dirt tracks.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2004 View Post
Thanks Franky, I may do this instead of installing stronger steering damper. Either way will advise.
Like Bazzaboy, I too really like my GU but this wobble does spoil the enjoyment of our trips, plus the fact mine has just done 29,000km, has no lift, been through very easy life (no hard 4WDriving), mostly being used to go to church on Sundays (not joking ) and dirt tracks.
I feel for you. I also replaced my standard steering damper with very little improvement, if any. Let alone being APITA to drive on-rode, all that shaking can't be doing it any good. Must be effecting other steering components. I'm not prepared for this to be a permanent long term issue. I have a friend with the same issues and he has some success by re-tensioning the front wheel bearings very frequently and adjusting his king pin tension. Not for me. Spent too much money for this crap.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:02 PM

Hi All,

If anybody can recommend a good place to adjust kingpin bearings, I'd really appreciate. Please send as private message if you prefer.

Thanks and regards
Old 10-02-2017, 08:36 PM

Mine is 2010 with 60,000k.

Have had wobbles from time to time, with various fixes.

Panhard nut loose, wheel bearings loose, and the number one problem of all is ....... drum roll....steel aftermarket rims.

I have just taken off a set of new 33s on Australian 0 offset 8" rims which wobbled, and put back my 16" genuine Patrol mags with worn 33s which have no wobble. My 17" rims with 32" ATs also do not wobble.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:45 PM
Educated Fool

jm2004's is basically stock though.
Still thinking a bad day in the factory with king pin bearing pre-load.

Franky.
Old 19-02-2017, 12:13 PM

Further to my steering wheel shake ......

Just had a new set of Superior Engineering 2" caster correction bushes fitted hoping that may fix or reduce the wheel shake. Well it did something. Now, at 110klph and over, not a hint of a shake or wobble. Vastly better than before.
But now, at exactly 80klph it's nearly a "tank slapper", very dangerous, and much worse than before.
I'm going to swap wheels "front to back" today to see if it's a bad rim. One of the front wheels previously required heaps of lead to balance. I'm hoping it is a wheel problem because I may sell the steels & muds and put some AT's on the mags if I have to.
This is going to be the last "throw of the dice" because if I can't sort it, it's gone.