Fraser Island in june/July - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > 4x4 Forums > Trips, Touring, and Treks

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 01:23 PM

Garage
Default Fraser Island in june/July

Hi guys, question fir those that are familiar with Fraser Island. Each are planning on heading there around mid June with our 3 kids (3, 6 and and I'm just wondering what weather to expect around that time? Bear in mind we are Victorians so anything above 22c is swimming weather to us in winter!
Also, looking at 8 nights split as 3 at Central station and 5 at cathedrals. Is this a good split to set ourselves up to see most of the attractions? We're trying to keep the camp set ups to a minimum as I'll have all the gear packed on the roof and no trailer... I hate packing up camp! I can handle 2 setup/packups in 8 days. Did Cape York last year and moved camp almost every other day... Drive me nuts with the kids.
Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Drew.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to shickered For This Useful Post:
jack180 (14-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-04-2017, 09:13 PM

I wasnt real keen on central station kinda a fair way from everywhere very shaded and cold and damp
The Following User Says Thank You to hz_350 For This Useful Post:
shickered (15-04-2017)
Old 14-04-2017, 09:39 PM

Garage

Mate - you will love the weather then. Perfect, not to hot for doing some exploring. Bit chilly in eli creek for a swim, but hey if you got kids they will still go and love it. But great for some of the short walks to the sand blows.

However, i would suggest don't bother in Central station for camping - just base yourself at Cathedrals. Its far better for kids at Cathedrals as well.

From there you can get anywhere you want to on day trips anyway

Central station wont be fun if you dont like bugs and leeches, whereas Cathedrals is great.

I speak from experience, we have a holiday shack on fraser so there every six weeks or so. Been going there for 15 years now. First 5 years we camped - once in central station - rest at Cathedral Beach.
Current - 2013 GU 3.0 CRD - Gold Patrol Club #70
2012 - Prado 150 D4
2007 - LC 100 Series V8 Petrol Supercharged
2004 - Patrol GUIV 3.0DI
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to jack180 For This Useful Post:
shickered (15-04-2017)

Old 15-04-2017, 06:33 AM

Dundaburra is also good not yo far from cathedrals. Even know central station looks in the middle its a fair drive to the coast at 30kph
Old 15-04-2017, 06:12 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack180 View Post
Mate - you will love the weather then. Perfect, not to hot for doing some exploring. Bit chilly in eli creek for a swim, but hey if you got kids they will still go and love it. But great for some of the short walks to the sand blows.

However, i would suggest don't bother in Central station for camping - just base yourself at Cathedrals. Its far better for kids at Cathedrals as well.

From there you can get anywhere you want to on day trips anyway

Central station wont be fun if you dont like bugs and leeches, whereas Cathedrals is great.

I speak from experience, we have a holiday shack on fraser so there every six weeks or so. Been going there for 15 years now. First 5 years we camped - once in central station - rest at Cathedral Beach.
Great info thanks mate! Looks like I'll be setting up once at cathedrals and exploring from there. Suits me as I hate packing up camp. More time to relax!

The Following User Says Thank You to shickered For This Useful Post:
jack180 (15-04-2017)
Old 17-04-2017, 08:22 PM

Garage

as above with all good advice.
allow an hour easily to go from surf side to kingfisher bay. those tracks are slow and wind alot.

also, if ya catching the barge from inskip, ONLY use the in land road from Hook point as a last resort.. far better to plan the arrive around the tides.. and drive around hook point.

perhaps plan a camp area closer to Eurong or maybe Happy Valley areas if you plan on visiting the inland lakes etc over a few days.. esp if the tides are not in sync with your travel times,cause that 10 -15min low tide run can often be not so nice at high tide.. all depends on the sand of course.. but i thinking after the storms in 2017, the sand should start to return by jun/jul.. it is mainly an issue further north toward Indian Head.

after that, consider heading north, the dundubarra camp ground is nice, coin hot showers, flush loos etc, but defo slim to none mobile signal up there- even with telstra.
i found this map- has the distance from hookpoint...

Last edited by Squalo; 18-04-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to kerry_066 For This Useful Post:
shickered (18-04-2017)
Old 18-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Pseudoiterative

Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,412 Posts

Make sure you get up to Sandy Cape, and across (from Orchid Beach) to Platypus Bay, via the unmarked North Wathumba track.

At Platypus keep in mind that irukanki have stung people on the western side.
The Following User Says Thank You to Squalo For This Useful Post:
shickered (18-04-2017)
Old 18-04-2017, 12:59 PM

Garage

We plan on staying at rainbow Beach for a few nights before we head over so we'll be taking the barge from inskip point and maybe come back via Hervey Bay.
So the inland track is less desirable than driving the beach? Is it worth factoring in tide times with our arrival to avoid having to use it? We don't do much beach driving down here in Victoria so my only real experience is the 5 beaches run up in Cape York. I'm confident enough but don't want to go blindly into anything too crazy straight off the barge!
Thanks for the map Kerry, puts it into better perspective. The wife is very keen on Cathedrals as it was recommended by a friend and the distances to most places look doable on a map. She's keen on the idea of only setting up one camp and I like the idea if not losing a day packing up and setting up somewhere else so if we can juggle tide times to be able to see most places from one camp it would be a bonus! But, if it's going to be a stretch then maybe moving camp is necessary.
My wife really wants to spend time at champagne pools and Eli Creek and I'm keen on exploring as much as possible in 7-8 days with a couple of rest days at camp.

Old 18-04-2017, 02:08 PM
Here To Be Entertained

Thanked 3,863 Times in 2,629 Posts
Garage

"Apparently" they are in the process of grading the inland road, but driving the beach at low (or a couple hours either side) is more desirable by far.
Beautiful smooth highway
Getting around Hook Point is the only issue really with a high tide. Soft sand and maybe no beach. Really depends on what the tides and ocean are doing at the time, hence preferably low is better.
High tide you could be pushing soft sand a long way up the island. Gets old pretty quick.

Beautiful time of year to go over. Tends to be less traffic on the Island being Winter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GUEY For This Useful Post:
kerry_066 (18-04-2017), shickered (18-04-2017)
Old 18-04-2017, 02:17 PM

Garage

Cheers guey, won't hold my breath on the track grading. We'll plan to arrive at low(ish) tide.
Is there any must see's when we get back on the mainland? I've heard it's possible to drive from rainbow Beach down to Noosa along the beach. Thought that might be a nice alternative to the highway if it's worth doing?
Trying to stay as far north as possible then make a quick 2 day dash back home to the cold weather.

Old 18-04-2017, 07:49 PM

If you can go when low tides in the morning it will make things easy drive on the low spend the day somwhere then drive back on the low.

As for inland v beach driving on low. At the bottom of the low there would be 30odd meters of rock hard sand with a speed limit of 80kph inland is 30kph and the corrugations were massive when i went and at low speed the car got into a rhythm and was bouncing all over the place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hz_350 For This Useful Post:
kerry_066 (18-04-2017), shickered (18-04-2017)
Old 18-04-2017, 09:38 PM

Garage

as others said, pick the tide and go the beach. You can still make it around hook point for an hour and a half either side of low tide.

Only takes a bit over an hour to get from the barge up to Cathedrals.

Low tide is best if your loaded with gear - you wont have to take the bypass tracks around the rocks going up the beach. Much easier to go straight up the beach at low tide the first day when your fully loaded with gear.

I would recommend being on the barge before low tide.

Eli crek is more of an issue now - you need to be within 2 hours either side of low tide at eli creek otherwise your driving through incoming salt water. You can take an inland track - but not much fun when your fully loaded.

First day, get up there easy, setup camp and crack a beer. You'll love cathedrals - camp kitchens are great. Kids can run a muck safely and you wont be worried about them as its fenced from the dingoes.

And dont forget to go and park on the beach one night in the dark - its awesome ...

Current - 2013 GU 3.0 CRD - Gold Patrol Club #70
2012 - Prado 150 D4
2007 - LC 100 Series V8 Petrol Supercharged
2004 - Patrol GUIV 3.0DI
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jack180 For This Useful Post:
kerry_066 (18-04-2017), RickGQ (19-04-2017), shickered (19-04-2017)
Old 18-04-2017, 10:51 PM

Garage

Damm, the picture is great, makes me wanta go up there now..

yes as above- avoid the hook point inland track if you can. hook point 2 hr either side of low tide, should be sweet.
Hook point can have some wetter soft sand so take it easy on the steering (aka don't drive like a backpacker on the autobarn) lol .. once up on the surf side, 80kph easy, and watch for the usual sand driving items, little washouts, people getting pippees and fishiin other cars and planes. it will be signed if they landing planes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kerry_066 For This Useful Post:
jack180 (19-04-2017), shickered (19-04-2017)
Old 19-04-2017, 09:05 AM
Pseudoiterative

Yep two hours either side of low tide is ok around Hook Pt. Try to land on the beach on the ebb (run-out) before low tide.

I usually use Elbow Point as reference for Fraser trips:

Tide Predictions for Australia, South Pacific and Antarctica

Not very friendly tides for a morning arrival until Thu 15th or Fri 16th June - barge runs from 6:00am.

Thu 15th June - low at 6:26am
Fri 16th June - low at 7:16am
shickered (19-04-2017)
Old 19-04-2017, 01:08 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo View Post
Yep two hours either side of low tide is ok around Hook Pt. Try to land on the beach on the ebb (run-out) before low tide.

I usually use Elbow Point as reference for Fraser trips:

Tide Predictions for Australia, South Pacific and Antarctica

Not very friendly tides for a morning arrival until Thu 15th or Fri 16th June - barge runs from 6:00am.

Thu 15th June - low at 6:26am
Fri 16th June - low at 7:16am
Thanks Squalo. We'll be arriving around the 22nd June. Looks like low tide is 12:50pm so we'll aim to take the 11am barge. Does that sound about right?
Gives us time to have a nice relaxing brekky in Rainbow Beach I spose and be set up at cathedrals mid arvo with a beer in hand!

Old 20-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Pseudoiterative

Yep that's perfect. That's a Thursday so barge traffic should be light* - be rolling out of Rainbow at 10:30 with full tanks, air down on the last bit of tar before the run out to the barge, and you're gold.

* Last September I actually got a whole barge to myself

A bit of light reading to gee you up for the trip.

Fraser Island trip with my kids
shickered (20-04-2017)
Old 20-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

I'll point out that if anyone does turn up when the tide is too high to use the beach from Hook Point it is no big deal. To take the inland road instead of the beach just adds about 15 minutes to the drive and you will be on a normal corrugated gravel road doing 40kph instead of the beach doing 80kph. Sure the beach drive is better but if the tide is a bit too high, meh.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overboard For This Useful Post:
shickered (20-04-2017)
Old 20-04-2017, 02:32 PM

Garage

Cheers guys, great info. Thanks for the link Squalo, had a read and you're trip looked great! Can't wait to get the kids away from technology for a bit and into the outdoors.

Old 21-04-2017, 06:57 PM

+ 1 for dundabara camp ground, it is a national parks campground vs a private campground at Cathedral which would cost more I should imagine. But if money is no object, then I'm sure cathedral is just as nice. Dundabara is about 20mins north from memory, which is to say it's 20mins closer to the good stuff past Indian head. Anyway, the weather should be perfect at that time of the year, nights a bit cool for us locals but warmer than what you victorians have to put up with...
Have fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew1964 For This Useful Post:
shickered (21-04-2017)
Old 22-04-2017, 08:40 AM

Mate took the family there last July and loved it. We stayed at Cathedrals for 4 nights it's a great spot to stay if you have young kids. The daughter and I swam down Eli creek numerous times. Lake Mckenzie was freezing but people were still swimming in there. Shorts and t shirts during the day and a light weight jumper on at night. Don't let winter stop you you will love it oh and less crowded too
The Following User Says Thank You to charli27 For This Useful Post:
shickered (22-04-2017)