Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

should I get 35 or 33 for GU

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  ACMPatrol 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am a new member. This is my first post. I have a 2002 Patrol GU. I purchased this car as a second car. I will be only using for weekend trips. I also purchased a 2'' old man emu lift kit. I need to get new tyres.

As a person who arrived in Australia last year, I don't have that much knowledge about the rules and road legislations, however it seems 2'' lift is a max legal size.

1. Should I get 33'' or 35'' tyres?
2. If I get 35'', is this size going to be illegal on the road? Would I have a problem with insurance company or police?

#2 ·
Hi aligorkem and welcome to the forum. You will find this place to be a never ending source of useful information and almost every topic under the sun has been covered already - trust me, I've found so much stuff out just by searching.

So, I suggest you type something like 'legal tyre size GU' into the search engine located in the red area at the top of this screen and see what you come up with.

Good luck with that!

Cheers

#3 ·
Don't go up tyre size unless you first change you diffs otherwise the power drop will be big and you end up spending more fixing that.

#4 ·
Thank you for answers.

Hi Burra boy, I should have done some search before posting, so I did some search about the tyre sizes that are suitable for patrol gu. 33 inch and 35 inch sizes are not legal unless you get the car checked by an authorised engineer. Some coins will be involved :)

Thank you for the great advice smakb, it was hard to make a decision as 35'' tyres look really good on patrol, however I will get 33'' tyres. I reckon BFG or Mickey Thompson Mud tyres would be a great choice.

#8 ·
Thank you for all suggestions. I will definitely get 33'' tyres.

I narrow down my options between 33'' BFG KM2 and Mickey Thompson Baja. I will be using stock rim (wheel) with these 33'' tyres.

However I was told that there is no problem to use stock rim with 33'' tyre, is it ok to use stock rims?

#13 ·
Hi Algikorem.
I've just fitted 285/75 R16 tyres to my TD42 (with a 50mm lift). The first thing that happened was the front left tyre ripped off the mudflap. Why the front right clears is a mystery - I would have thought the car was symmetrical. Any acceleration the car had has been greatly diminished and it doesn't brake as well as it used to. According to my GPS the odometer and speedometer are out by 10% - very annoying. And lastly, the backlash clunk in the rear diff which was normally minor, is now very evident. On the upside however, I don't get hung up on things as much as I used to. All said and done, I think I'll go back to the 265s next time.

#17 ·
Hi Algikorem.
I've just fitted 285/75 R16 tyres to my TD42 (with a 50mm lift). The first thing that happened was the front left tyre ripped off the mudflap. Why the front right clears is a mystery - I would have thought the car was symmetrical.
As you increase lift the panhard rods pull the axles more and more to the right. This reduces clearance on the left and increases it on the right. Longer and/or adjustable aftermarket panhard rods are available that will fix the issue. It is normally not a problem with a 2 inch lift though.

Cheers,

#14 ·
Hi Deejay,

Thank you for sharing the information and experience that you have got. It is so valuable to me.

I used to drive my friend's patrol that has 35'' Silverstone extreme mud tyres. I noticed the car didn't break well, so I felt a bit unsafe in the beginning. I should get the speedo calibration once I get the new tyres. This is my first 4WD, so there are many things to learn.

I just did a little search about speedo correction and found out that there is a kit we may need to setup for the correction.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/speedo-correction-21531/

#18 ·
Tearing mudflaps off is also dependant on what offset rims you use, and for 33" you should probably put in a 10-15mm radius arm spacer to push the axle forward ahnd help with mudflap clearance.

Common offsets are +10, -13. -23 (or is it -22?). The bigger the - number the further the tyres will poke to the outside of the car and hence the closer the tyre edge will be to the mudflaps on full lock.

The +10 offset is standard for the Patrol, and the -13 is the biggest legal rim offset, as it widens the track by 52mm.

The wider offsets will also increase the likelihood of death wobbles if every bush and bearing in the front is not 100% tight.

33" will rob power and make the brakes worse, because the gyroscopic effect of the larger heavier tyre is greater - both to spin up (accelerating) and to spin down (braking).

The Partol is nice with -13 offset rims and 285/75/16 tyres, but only if you don't get the wobbles. If you do, you will end up frustrated as hell trying to find out where the wobble is coming from.

I ended up ditching the steel wheels -13 and going back to a set of genuine Patrol alloys 16" at +10 offset because the damn steelies weren't perfectly round. They were Aussie made ones too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.