ZD30-Who would keep a Diary.. (I did,want to see?? ;) - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Model Forums > Nissan Patrol GU/GR Y61 > 3 Litre ZD30 DI Engine

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-05-2019, 09:07 AM

Default ZD30-Who would keep a Diary.. (I did,want to see?? ;)

475000k's (295000miles)

I Really have to post this thread,if anything it may help lads with lower mileage Patrols who are curious to know what sort of maintainence to expect under hard working conditions(If any low mileage Trolls still exist out there but seriously lads finding a fresh Patrol this might show them (If they ever come across the thread) what they can expect to fail/wear out on the ZD30 Patrol if they do the regular maintainence. Well ok every single vehicle is differnt and we can and maybe will all have a differnt failure rate with certain parts,some might fail a lot earlier than others depending on how hard they are used and conditions etc but from what i have seen the parts generally have a similiar life span.

Well here is my list of what exactly was changed on my Patrol and a History of my 2004 ZD30 Nissan Patrol It is a well serviced vehicle and worked very hard everyday, i am in the tree care business so i am always cutting trees and towing wood around,i also sell the firewood so that involved all towing and driving constantly.

To start i bought the Patrol with 50000'ks onboard which was just run in really, it was a uk import at the time and i believe it had a very easy life and was well looked after,it was an elderly couple that had it and they were the owners from new! I am not going to include regular servicing but i do service it very well every 8000'Ks. This Nissan Patrol is a 'BOG STANDARD' none modified example. No NADS, just three pilar gauges fitted to keep an eye on oil,boost and coolant level.

So back in 2010 i picked it up and here is how it went.I do all my own work and maintainence and always used a fuel additive called dipatane,i am very strict about diesel filter changes and always clean out my airfilter with compressed air every 2000K's and fit a new every third service.

- 6 months later with 70000'ks up i fitted a new Clutch and SOLID Flywheel conversion
- 2012 I fitted a new power steering box , New bosch battery @ 170K's

- 2014. Front passenger main hub seal and king pin bearings.Front drag link and fan belt. New pan hard bar front & rear.New MAF sensor @240k's. New alternator.ABS Front wheel sensor. New coolant expantion tank.

-2015 Power steering pump, Rear brake discs and pads allround.Steering damper. New radiator.Wiper motor rebuild front. @320K's

-2016 New Bosch battery, front drivers hub seal inner and king pin bearings @ 380

-2017, Chassis plating in a few places to rear, New poly bush kit all round, trailing arms and pan hards etc.. New power steering box (I put this down to all the houses i go to with firewood and a lot of reversing so i use the full lock on the steering everyday a lot,i am hard on the steering. New Drag link again, New steering damper,New belt tensioner 430k's

2018, Extensive chassis plating to rear, New shocks allround KYB, four new coil springs, new pan hard bar front poly bush kit and rear pan hard, new discs and pads all round, new front wheel bearings as all the years i used just repack them, new clockspring, new bonnet struts, new fan belt,New bosch battery (My third) New alternator. New lift pump. New intercooler. New exhaust rear section.New radiator. New glowplugs and seals and rocker cover gasket with a full throttle body [email protected]'s

New Injection pump & injector service. A lot of chassis work to the rear of patrol on main section and over coil springs inc pan hard bar hangar and shock mount rear passenger side. New drop links allround and solid rear drop link conversion with disconnected elec stabi. New coolant expantion tank and rad cap.Tomorrow morning i am off to get some more work finished on rear of chassis. @475000K's

So as of now the starter and engine never gave one days trouble,no doubt a proven unit indeed and an awesome Vehicle.
I have more stuff to update and intent to along the way on this thread,if and when any problems occur i can update to keep you informed. Over all i think to own the Patrol and work it hard everyday it is a really cheap and low cost vehicle to run pound for pound it really isn't that expensive to run and the parts give a great service life.I owned many 4X4's before this including an Isuzu trooper 3.0, a Toyota landcruiser 3.0. and the Patrol is by far the best most powerful,and the most living space in the cab.Annually it don't cost as much to maintain as other 4X4's....again these are just my own personal experiences and opinions after over 15 years owning Nissan Patrols!

I will edit and add to this later as my pc battery is going flat now.

Dan

Last edited by dan ahern; 18-05-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-05-2019, 08:48 AM

Talking Limited edition islander patrol

Bought limited edition 2002 islander patrol 3 rd owner with books, apparently was originally bought by grey nomads doing big lap of oz.serviced every 5000 Klm s and really looked after. Was rebuilt by Nissan at 150000 Klm s as per service book. I purchased it at 180000 klms since then I have regularly serviced oils and all filters every 5000. So far I have new brakes rotors and pads,wheel bearings, alternator, rear diff new crown wheel and pinion + bearings, new safari clutch, on my 2nd set of coopers, fitted full nads 3 inch exhaust high flow cat Dawes valve egr blocked catch can new sealed inter cooler remapped by Harley and now at 400000 klms had just replaced cracked head, injectors and glow plugs. So I am running out of things to fix I am just lucky I can fix all this myself other wise I would need to rob a bank to keep it going. Itís my daily drive 76 Klm return trip also. Itís just like the sistean chapel itís never going to be finished
dan ahern (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM

Hey nice post,thanks for that.Interesting indeed to see what people have spent on the Patrols and the running costs for them.I guess some can have more luck than others.

Why do you think the head cracked? Was it a coolant leak

Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM
Rogue

Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,556 Posts
Garage

Dan, can you please stick to one thread where you can keep all your content together for your diary. We don't need multiple diaries

https://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/3-li...09/index5.html

I used to have Patrols

Must be beer o'clock
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Closed Thread