Auto vs manual - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Patrol Forums > Buying a Nissan Patrol

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-03-2019, 11:42 AM

Default Auto vs manual

Hi all,
Looking to purchase a Gu patrol and can't decide on if it should be auto or manual.
Are there any concerns with either transmissions? Anything to look out for when looking?

Or is it all down to personal preference?

Currently have a 2010 ST auto in mind.

Cheers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-03-2019, 11:53 AM
I Am Me and I Love My ZD30

Thanked 10,934 Times in 7,269 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraboi View Post
Hi all,
Looking to purchase a Gu patrol and can't decide on if it should be auto or manual.
Are there any concerns with either transmissions? Anything to look out for when looking?

Cheers
Yes it is personal preference, over the years of owning 4by's (since 1983) I have had both, when I bought my Trol in 2000 I had just come off an Auto and wanted to go back to manual, don't get me wrong, I still love my manual but if I was doing it all again today I would buy an Auto, I still think there are advantages with a manual but not enough that they can't be controlled in how you drive. Engine braking is one of those things.
My 2 cents worth.
- Powercurve.com.au
Boost Control Now by Digibooster - Domestic Violence Has No Excuse.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 13-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Here To Be Entertained

Thanked 6,137 Times in 3,797 Posts
Garage

Would go personal preference also. Have always been manual, but after having two autos now I would lean auto myself.
Depending on what you drive most (round town or highway) may play a factor also.
There is torque converter lock up mod that can be done to the auto to make it a bit more enjoyable with highway driving, so maybe factor that in also.
Early manuals had 5th gear issues, but that has long since been fixed. Never really hear of any issues with either these days.

Old 13-03-2019, 01:32 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,340 Posts

I'd go auto without a doubt. In the dim dark past when autos had no overdrive and no lock up converters there were good reasons to buy manual boxes but those days are well behind us. If you want full manual control of the box then get a valve kit for it but an auto box (with a TC lock up mod) is still the best way to go.
Old 13-03-2019, 07:20 PM

You're all getting old...

If an auto doesn't have at least 7 gears I'm not interested. Especially behind a diesel.
Old 15-03-2019, 06:55 AM

Prefer manual, don't have to worry about overheating or much maintence. On the highway one doesn't have to change gears too much, not very good in stop start bump to bumper stuff with a td as they need to be revved when changing, constantly going from 1st to 2nd and then back again.
Old 18-03-2019, 07:06 PM

After owning my Prado 120 v6 for 11 years I loved the auto and vouch to never go Manual again.
Now owning the td42ti for over a year. I do enjoy the manual alot.

Who knows. I love both.
Old 18-03-2019, 08:14 PM

Thanked 1,055 Times in 846 Posts

the sooner i can convert my td to a manualised re4 the better.
manuals suck..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simcoe For This Useful Post:
klappers (31-03-2019), Marko_SJ (22-03-2019)
Old 20-03-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natal Shark Y61 Fan View Post
Prefer manual, don't have to worry about overheating or much maintence. On the highway one doesn't have to change gears too much, not very good in stop start bump to bumper stuff with a td as they need to be revved when changing, constantly going from 1st to 2nd and then back again.
I had this same fear when going on Fraser island with the inland tracks.
towards the end I was constantly changing gears like a boss and quite enjoyed it.
Old 20-03-2019, 02:11 PM

Auto with an external cooler is what I’m running. I love it but it really comes down to your preference. The autos are strong boxes.
Old 20-03-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgtr View Post
I had this same fear when going on Fraser island with the inland tracks.
towards the end I was constantly changing gears like a boss and quite enjoyed it.
I do enjoy changing gears, took me a while to get used to the almost double take to change gears, I initially was changing too quickly.

As for a preference its each to there own, the 5 speed manual is a pretty robust box and for the later GU the 5th gear shaft has been improved.
Old 21-03-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natal Shark Y61 Fan View Post
I do enjoy changing gears, took me a while to get used to the almost double take to change gears, I initially was changing too quickly.

As for a preference its each to there own, the 5 speed manual is a pretty robust box and for the later GU the 5th gear shaft has been improved.
Yep.
These manual boxes are strong as but the synchros are less and dont allow for quick shift which I learnt too. Slower shifts is the way to go. I shudder thinking of the mechanic that has to change the clutch! The size of this behemoth!
Old 31-03-2019, 07:13 AM

Thanked 1,440 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraboi View Post
Hi all,

Cheers
I drive a 4.8 auto, so I have the later RE5 box, and it has converted me. I will never go back to an auto in a 4WD again. Silky smooth and just magic behind the 4.8. Wholesale are now trying to slot these into every Patrol.

https://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/engin...ay-td42-80484/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASSED GU View Post
..... I drive like a penis at the best of times
The Following User Says Thank You to klappers For This Useful Post:
miraboi (31-03-2019)