Need some tech advice. - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Model Forums > Classic Nissan Patrols

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-03-2019, 11:15 PM

Garage
Default Need some tech advice.

I have decided to bite the bullet, and restore the G60 that has caused me so much stress, over the last 4-6 months. The doctor said I should get about 10 grand for my left testie, so I figured that's what my budget is going to be. But am aware that the final price could go a little higher, so I am also willing to sell off a nipple or two.

I have decided to do a ground up rebuild. So my thoughts are, to get the springs re-sprung as they a drooping a fair bit. Get a another window frame as the one I have is not the original. And either have the existing motor rebuilt or get an upgraded motor. Which I haven't decided on yet cause I'm just a tree stump when it comes to mechanical work. And make the old girl look nice and pretty again and give her a decent respray.

Thou I have decided to rebuild her (It's gotta be a "She" as it's caused me so much grief), my intention is not to make it an original G 60 4x4. I don't see the point as even things like seat comfortably has come a long way in 40 odd years. So it's going to be an updated version of the original G 60 concept. I have been viewing a forum over in India, where owners have done some really nice work on the G 60's, so I am hoping the update will make it more comfortable, have better fuel economy, and give me more grunt on the open road.

Now I have asked this before, but I'm going to ask again. i'm over 50 now and still single, so I figured I can ask stupid questions a number of times, and you can nod ya heads, and ya can nod ya heads knowingly.

I did not have this option before so here goes. Should I decide on a new motor change over, what are your thoughts? Some have said TD4.2TI motor, others have said the SD33, someone in India has even suggested a Hino Diesel motor. But I'm not to sure of that. I have been pursuing either a Marks or Dellow's conversion plate for the gearbox, but they are harder to find than original parts. So this is why I am figuring on a newer Diesel Nissan motor and gearbox.

So all you grease monkeys out there, if ya want to put some of that grey matter to use besides just fantasising about ya next fishing trip, I'd really appreciate ya advice and input. I won't be doing any of this work myself, as I either now know fella's that can, or I will pay someone to do the work. Again, if ya know anyone in WA. He may get my $'s if he is recommended by someone on Patrol4x4 forum.

I will be looking for a good upholster, mechanic, and spray painter. So drop your recommendations below. I'm figuring on starting this rebuild late July, and hopefully have it finished by December 2020.

Thank's all...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-2019, 07:36 AM
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,028 Posts

G'day Grumpy, sounds like an interesting project. I'm not the greatest authority on the 60 series of Patrols, but they do share some features with the MQ.
Still plenty of cars/parts available on Gumtree, FB Market Place and Ebay.
As with anything, as soon as you engage a pro, the $$$s build up dramatically. So DIY as much as you can.
Suspension components [springs, shocks, bushes etc] are no problem.
Interior finish is only governed by your imagination, I'm fitting a pair of late 90's BMW seats at the moment, full leather, $100 from Market Place. You'll be surprised how many upmarket cars are being wrecked by private individuals. Commercial wreckers are not generally the place to go if you want to save a buck or two.
Bodywork and painting can be a little daunting, but you'll be surprised how quickly you can pick up the little tricks with some practice. Sand paper is your best friend.....lol.
Engine & Trans....anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.
Cheapest option is to rebuild the P motor, but all you'll end up with is still the old slug. Diesel would be nice, but I suspect the costliest option.
I would be looking at petrol personally as there are many possible contenders especially Holden & Ford, auto or manual, that would shift the ol' girl along, assuming your wheelbase allows for a remote transfer case.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!