squealing noise coming from turbo - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussion Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 03:25 PM

Default squealing noise coming from turbo

I have a 2009 Nissan Patrol 3.0 litre diesel with a ZD30 engine which has done 160,000km
It has just started making a squealing noise between 1500 and 2500rpm and seems to drop off outside of this rev range. Initially I thought it might be a belt, but after closer inspection it seems to be coming directly from the turbo. Funnily enough when I take off the vaccume house from the gate valve it stops completely. Have never experienced this before. Anyone out there experienced this before?? Would love to hear your thoughts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 03:36 PM
I Am Me and I Love My ZD30

Thanked 10,934 Times in 7,269 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ4 View Post
I have a 2009 Nissan Patrol 3.0 litre diesel with a ZD30 engine which has done 160,000km
It has just started making a squealing noise between 1500 and 2500rpm and seems to drop off outside of this rev range. Initially I thought it might be a belt, but after closer inspection it seems to be coming directly from the turbo. Funnily enough when I take off the vaccume house from the gate valve it stops completely. Have never experienced this before. Anyone out there experienced this before?? Would love to hear your thoughts
Could be a few things, the CRD is not unknown to get the odd exhaust manifold leak which can result in a squeal at different revs but will often shut up when engine heats up, you mention vacuum hose, you don't mention what boost control you have so it is a bit hard to put all facts together, a damaged/leaking vac hose can cause a squeal, so to rule that out I would check every vacuum hose between the turbo and the vacuum pump. Put up a pic of this 'gate valve' you speak of.
- Powercurve.com.au
Boost Control Now by Digibooster - Domestic Violence Has No Excuse.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-05-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ4 View Post
It has just started making a squealing noise between 1500 and 2500rpm and seems to drop off outside of this rev range. Initially I thought it might be a belt, but after closer inspection it seems to be coming directly from the turbo. Funnily enough when I take off the vacuum house from the gate valve it stops completely. Have never experienced this before. Anyone out there experienced this before?? Would love to hear your thoughts
Mine 08 CRD @ approx 140,000ks, had metallic squeal noise, thru rev range and sounded like coming from turbo, removed inlet duct and noise really sounded like it was coming from turbo. At idle, the noise was present and stopped when the vac line was removed from VNT actuator or when the needle valve(eg:manual boost control) was unwound "reduced boost" and noise stopped. Changed out turbo and noise still there, ended up being a warped exhaust manifold and the first two studs had failed. Machined exhaust manifold / new gasket/fitted Inconel studs and copper coated wurth lock nuts and then problem fixed. Price a new manifold, understand they are a good price.