0 We've done so much with so little for so long we're qualified to do anything with 0 - Page 16 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Forums > General Discussion

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Up View Post
I don't see couples or singles who decide not to have children would see it as equitable. Life is about choices, you have children if it suits your circumstances and you can financially support them.

It should not be up to the government.
I agree to an extent, if you can't afford kids don't have them. The problem is that the aged pension is the single biggest expense of the federal budget and with the ageing population its only going to get worse. In years to come there simply won't be enough taxpayers to support the country and the govt wants those people to have kids so they won't be rewarded for not having them. These people will even get screwed over again because the fact that they never have kids means they are far more likely to be completely self funded in retirement so they won't even reap the benefits in later life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Resident Social Democrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
No. My wife will now be the primary income for our house. I'll be at uni next year *fingers crossed* and in 2015 I hope to be teaching.

I'm just very, very pissed off at the notion that 80, 100, 120k a year is considered a huge income. It is pretty much the minimum if you wish to afford a house.

I really cannot see why anyone would oppose this parental leave scheme. It gives EVERYONE more than the current system. It gives everyone the same opportunity and access... it is equitable.
I agree that as a household income $120K isn't huge and my perception of the parental leave issue isn't about single income households where mum is the primary earner.

I'd think that while there are many households with that 'formula', most households are two income and there would be more of these households where mum takes the time off and she would earn less money, than the inverse.

That said, well done on your decision to be the primary care giver for your bub! Having worked shiftwork all my life, it's given me more opportunity than most to be a 'hands on' dad, but going full time is even better and a far braver decision. Congrats!

In terms of equity, in a two income household with $150K plus, it's DEFINITELY the Conservative definition of equality as per the pic below.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1377571357766.jpg (23.9 KB, 58 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 27-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Forum Tragic

Thanked 3,595 Times in 2,684 Posts
Garage

Mic. You generally appear to be of a liberal persuasion if I remember correctly. Think of your views on 'refugees' and your somewhat 'Green' approach to the environment. Now that you know if you are a middle-class male you get dick while all the other do-gooders and bludgers are milking the till.

It can change the 'liberal' mindset very quickly when you get 'mugged' and find out that you are the one carrying the can while the unproductive and cost-incurring mob go on their merry way for free. Hope that clears it up. It is an American expression.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 27-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Resident Social Democrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray! View Post
What is it with Labor and trains? In 2007, they promised to build a fast rail link in Sydney; in 2010, they promised to build a Melbourne to Brisbane rail link; and now in 2013, they promise to build a Melbourne to Sydney rail link. It's always a promise spend millions to have a study and look at building something decades in the future that would cost billions.
I think we're getting to the silly part of the campaign now.

Fast trains, retrospective compo for being killed/injured in terrorist attacks, moving naval bases, buying Indo fishing boats.

I've been watching the number of stories questioning the wisdom of the Libs holding the costings back steadily growing. Murdoch rags aren't the only news source in the age of the interweb and people are seeing the obvious bias. It could cost them.

2 party preferred back to 50-50 and more minor parties repaying the Libs with preferencing Libs last.

Still have to put $50 on. Still don't know if I'd blow it or have a $500 spending spree on tools and Patrol!

Old 27-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Enemy of Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluemav View Post
I agree that as a household income $120K isn't huge and my perception of the parental leave issue isn't about single income households where mum is the primary earner.

I'd think that while there are many households with that 'formula', most households are two income and there would be more of these households where mum takes the time off and she would earn less money, than the inverse.

That said, well done on your decision to be the primary care giver for your bub! Having worked shiftwork all my life, it's given me more opportunity than most to be a 'hands on' dad, but going full time is even better and a far braver decision. Congrats!

In terms of equity, in a two income household with $150K plus, it's DEFINITELY the Conservative definition of equality as per the pic below.

god I hate that pic!!! Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcove View Post
Mic. You generally appear to be of a liberal persuasion if I remember correctly. Think of your views on 'refugees' and your somewhat 'Green' approach to the environment. Now that you know if you are a middle-class male you get dick while all the other do-gooders and bludgers are milking the till.

It can change the 'liberal' mindset very quickly when you get 'mugged' and find out that you are the one carrying the can while the unproductive and cost-incurring mob go on their merry way for free. Hope that clears it up. It is an American expression.
On matters of "conscience" I am quite liberal... gay marriage and all that stuff.

But on welfare, government spending etc... I am quite the conservative.

Old 27-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Part of the furniture around here

Garage

Desperate times, calls for desperate measures:

Quote:
Labor strategists have embarked on an under-the-radar telephone blitz aiming for 1 million personal calls by election day, in the hope of turning around their flagging campaign with under a fortnight to go.

Internal records from the Labor campaign, obtained by Fairfax Media, reveal the party machine has placed its confidence in the direct marketing approach, making 865,241 telephone calls to marginal seat voters since the election race began less than a month ago.

The 1 million-plus call target represents a tenfold increase on the number rung by Labor in the entire 2010 campaign.
Big call: Labor hits the phones
Old 27-08-2013, 01:10 PM

Garage

From a former Labor Minister, Gary Johns:

Quote:
WHY should the Coalition have to clean up the mess each time Labor governs? It must be galling to come to power every turn of the electoral cycle and have to clean up the debt of the previous team.

The Kennett government in Victoria had to clean up the Cain-Kirner mess, as is the Newman government in Queensland cleaning up the Beattie-Bligh debt. Will an Abbott government have to do the same for Rudd-Gillard? Reluctantly, of course it will, but how quickly?

It would be tempting to consider laying charges against Labor ministers Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard, Wayne Swan, Penny Wong and Stephen Conroy for wasting $250 billion of Australian taxpayers' money. But, hey, Australia is a liberal democracy and we don't like to be seen to exact revenge. Perhaps an apology would do it.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opin...-1226704567737
Old 27-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Rogue

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,557 Posts
Garage

I hope some of the Liberal 'policies' being announced are lies just to buy voters.

- Parental leave scheme = BS
- Boat buy back = BS
- Great Ocean Rd upgrade = BS

I used to have Patrols

Must be beer o'clock
Old 27-08-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray! View Post
Desperate times, calls for desperate measures:

Big call: Labor hits the phones
I wish they'd ring me.

There's not much chance though, the ALP won the seat by over 12% last election. This time though we have Angry Anderson standing for the Nats so maybe their reign is over.
Old 27-08-2013, 01:31 PM

Garage

And talking about paid parental leave, ABC Radio National's Fran Kelly with Tony Abbott:

Quote:
Kelly: ... I’d like to be clear on why one woman in Australia will get $75,000 from the government ... whereas possibly the woman next door will get $22,000. Why is that fair?

Abbott: And Fran, if you go on long service leave you get paid at your wage and some people get paid a higher wage and other people get paid at a lower wage.

Kelly: And the employer pays for that ...

Abbott: Now the thing is, Fran, why should someone working for the ABC who goes on paid parental leave get paid at his or her wage and not someone who’s a shop assistant or a factory worker? ...

Kelly: Well, because I think that it’s a very expensive issue, pledge, on the public purse, there’s such inequity ...

Abbott: Well, that’s because people get paid at different rates… This is not an equity argument you’re running ... you cannot make an equity argument against paying people at their wage if this is a workplace entitlement, and surely it is. It is at the ABC. Why shouldn’t it be at the small business as well?

Kelly: Well, I think it’s a matter of where the funding has come from ...
Where does the ABC get it's annual $1 billion funding? Maybe that could be the first place to find a spare billion per year that currently appears to be going to waste.
Old 27-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Forum Tragic

Thanked 3,595 Times in 2,684 Posts
Garage

Labor seems to be stuck with it's class war. If someone earns a decent income, say over 100k, then they are the enemy. No matter that Gillard and the like are rolling in it.

How they stomach Rudd and his multi-millionaire wife baffles me. Something about a double standard? You can bet the union bosses aren't on the minimum wage.
The Following User Says Thank You to estcove For This Useful Post:
Mic (27-08-2013)
Old 27-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBoy View Post
I agree to an extent, if you can't afford kids don't have them. The problem is that the aged pension is the single biggest expense of the federal budget and with the ageing population its only going to get worse. In years to come there simply won't be enough taxpayers to support the country and the govt wants those people to have kids so they won't be rewarded for not having them. These people will even get screwed over again because the fact that they never have kids means they are far more likely to be completely self funded in retirement so they won't even reap the benefits in later life.
Make superannuation compulsory and gradually increase the level of contributions to a level that is required to be totally self sufficient, put legislation in place to prevent these companies from taking on risky investment strategies which may damage the company/shareholders and slowly phase the pension out. Make people accountable don't leave it up to the government to constantly bail out these fwits.
Old 27-08-2013, 03:41 PM

Garage

But talk about a political party that should breath carbon monoxide:

Quote:
Women talking to women

Posted by Bianca Maciel Pizzorno 779gc on May 23, 2013 · Flag

Practice the art of conversation!

This action is our way to facilitate conversations with women in Adam's electorate and to find out what is important to them.

Your presence will help shift votes.

Training and all support materials are provided on the day.
Women talking to women

Green's senator Scott Ludlum:

Quote:
It’s time to ask what an Abbott-Murdoch government would hold for a 21st century Australia in the few short days that remain while this is still a matter over which we have some agency. I suspect it would be a grim experiment in what happens when the keys to the executive of a modern state are handed to global mining, media and petrochemical companies. As the architecture of the Clean Energy Act is forcibly dismantled at the hands of the coal and gas industries, the long-overdue surge of investment in renewable power stations will be deliberately crippled even as the weather turns implacably more hostile. It looks like we are all about to be Queenslanded.

There is an alternative, of course: hang the numbers again. Voters of Australia, why not serve up another minority government where parliament retains its role as a debating and negotiating space? The last time one political formation held all the cards in your parliament, Work Choices and the terror laws happened. Under minority government, we wrote the Clean Energy Act which has begun to turn the ship toward a renewable economy.

Multi-party democracy is noisy, awkward, and occasionally ugly, but given the chance, it kind of works. It’s certainly better than some of the alternatives.
What would an Abbott-Murdoch government hold for Australia? | Scott Ludlam | Comment is free | theguardian.com

I didn't know Murdoch was looking to be elected or into mining, but I'd rather have that than any oxygen thieving Green telling me what to do. But on another note, vote for a minority government???? Minority government kind of works? No, no it doesn't.
Old 27-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Garage

NSW premier is not happy that Rudd promises 4000 jobs (and probably a lot more secondary jobs) to be lost in NSW: No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au.

But hey! What does that matter if it helps to gain a few more votes in Queensland?

NSW LNP should now start a campaign saying that a vote for Labor means job losses to NSW.
Old 27-08-2013, 05:03 PM

Following the recommendations of the Defence force posture review. Can do should be very happy, but the libs don't want mixed messages getting out so it has been left up to Barry to feign mock indignation. Pork barrelling is not limited to 1 side of politics. This week we have seen Tony wanting to buy Indonesia's timber clunkers, give money to dole bludgers, tell the Indonesians president he is going to send more police to his country. Give money to disaster victims 10 years after the event, probably plenty more that I have forgotten.
Old 27-08-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluemav View Post
I love the pic too, it really does capture the gulf of difference between the two sides when it comes to Govt assistance. This policy really does fall into this realm.

EVERYONE should be means tested for EVERY BENEFIT. The change to PHI insitituted last year are a great example; a household with $268K should not be getting a 30% govt rebate on their health insurance. The PHI is grossly uncompetitive atm with ALL companies being as cr ap as the next. I was nearly $3K out of pocket to get my Goddamn apendix out FFS! If you make enough money, you don't need Govt help! Isn't that a Conservative virtue?

Most of us on here I would assume made plans when we had our kids as most of us didn't get baby bonus etc. The older ones would have had wives who were at home full time, but those my age and younger would have had to make plans around having bub, time off, when mum went back to work all within a budget etc. OMFG I'm sounding like a farking Conservative! SHOOT ME NOW!!!

Govt help is based on need not on how much much you have put in.

Employers paying into a fund is a great idea and if it could be managed in a reasonably inexpensive way (without paying ridiculous management fees/costs etc) all the better! BUT, the business lobby would have kittens. We've let them got to the stage where they have no obligation to be responsible corportate citizens, they only have to make a profit, even if it's at the expense of the rest of us. That said, a Govt with guts COULD push it through despite their bleating.
No I am not with you on the means testing for everything and everybody, if there is a payout of some sort that is based on whatever then why should a person who has payed more into it get less just because they have more income.

As for your argument with the PPS your figures are slowly reducing, they started at 150k and are now down to 100k with 120k mentioned a few times. I will put it to you that at least 80% of women are on less than 70k per year and most that are of child bearing age are getting paid even less, my wife is on less than 50k a year and most of our friends are in a similar wage bracket.

I will ask you this, why should a woman who has worked hard to rise to a position where she can now think about children because money is not so tight, why should she under the labour scheme drop to minimum wage while she take leave.

Lunacy Unanimous Club #5
Toyota recovery crew member # 5

Old 27-08-2013, 08:58 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Up View Post
Make superannuation compulsory and gradually increase the level of contributions to a level that is required to be totally self sufficient, put legislation in place to prevent these companies from taking on risky investment strategies which may damage the company/shareholders and slowly phase the pension out. Make people accountable don't leave it up to the government to constantly bail out these fwits.
no no no no no no no

compulsorary super into union controlled industry contained funds is nanny state treachery and corruption on a grand scale.

I see absolutely no reason or justification why people should be forced to let some mythical fools that cant even manage thier own credit card reconcilliations manage thier money.

I do not agree with any aspect offorced superannuation and I resent the fact that I have to put part of my wages away for fifty odd years when there are plenty of ways that I can use them to more further my wealth such as improving / expanding my farm or investing in mining / bank shares.

I also do not agree with any form of social pension and want a sunset date set for all current support pensions and payments of any kind.

In short any taxes that do not go to national defence or the Justice to be removed today.

The bigger the government, the higher the taxes, the less freedom, the less innovation and the more corruption and waste that goes with it.

Make no mistake about it; this election is about philosophies, down to the sewers of government knows best socialism or the sunshine of a capitalist democracy.
Old 27-08-2013, 09:01 PM

Garage

As Tim Wilson from the Institute of Public Affairs said on Q&A last night we have to begin treating children once again as a gift and not a burden.

Family before debt funded plasma TVs and stainless kitchens.
Old 27-08-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennoGU28 View Post
As Tim Wilson from the Institute of Public Affairs said on Q&A last night we have to begin treating children once again as a gift and not a burden.

Family before debt funded plasma TVs and stainless kitchens.
How the hell can any liberal / conservative / right winger possibly ever ever promote one of these over the other.

You sir have gone pink.

Old 27-08-2013, 09:15 PM

Garage

Compulsory super I agree with, just the mix I disagree with. Have employed many 100s over the decades. Most don't even appreciate the super payments and even realised they are part of their wage payment. I don't have a problem increasing super contribution payments. Just let the employee pay 30% of the total super payment from their wage. It can be taken out of their wage pre tax and paid as per present conditions. I can already hear the bleeding hearts bitching.
Most businesses are small and don't have the financial resources to pay more super on the employee,s behalf, profits are down and most are struggling. We have to stop raping small business it's not a bottomless pit.