Toyota drivers - Page 3 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Forums > General Discussion

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-02-2018, 02:58 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark side View Post
The y62 does have its problems also.
The rear needs air bigs or similar or you will chew out rear tyres.

Really??
I don't have air bags in the rear and I don't chop out tyres either on the 285/70 18's or 305/70 18's. Have had it heavily loaded with both tyre sets, towing a reasonably heavy camper without rear tyre issues. I do have 2 inch lift h/d coils though.

And the fuel usage is still less than my old RD28 GU.

And I can pass what ever I want when I want.

And it's bloody comfy.

And it's damn capable off road.

And it has a whole lot more spec than a 200 Series.

And the sound when you hit the loud pedal matches the performance!
Smiling all the way
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fits5 For This Useful Post:
Haggie (26-02-2018), simcoe (26-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-02-2018, 05:36 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 1,079 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket_1985 View Post
yeah, been a while, so drove a dual cab 70something series other day.... 20,000km on clock, like 1yo... all done up.... slooooow.

my advice would be not to race a 200 diesel.
lol
why not?
a 4.8 is quicker i think you will find.
200 desals are crap.

you will also find that a chipped/tuned/exhausted zdj 200 is slower down the 1/4 than a bog stock 62.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 26-02-2018, 05:49 PM

also seems a few wise people in this thread arent blind diesel crazy men...good to see.
the 62 out tows and is better in basically every way than a 200.(except the wood grain..)
yay, lets buy a gxl pov pack for 85k....hahahahaha or a sahara for 115k.lol a ti is 70 and a til is 87 odd. takes a while to make up the 0-5lph fuel difference, all in the name of a much better drive though.
all you diesel boys would be very surprised on the eco we get, pride is a hard thing to swallow though, something a toyo owner isnt very good at.
a 200 is good value said no one ever...

i dont normally bother with biting on this crap anymore but some of you really need to do a little research of your own and not take to much interest in paid toyo adds or mags.

and the amount of clowns in any form of v8 cruiser that try to take a 62 on at the lights is laughable, what do these guys think they drive?lol
hell a np300 is quicker! haha
Old 26-02-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fits5 View Post
Really??
I don't have air bags in the rear and I don't chop out tyres either on the 285/70 18's or 305/70 18's. Have had it heavily loaded with both tyre sets, towing a reasonably heavy camper without rear tyre issues. I do have 2 inch lift h/d coils though.

And the fuel usage is still less than my old RD28 GU.

And I can pass what ever I want when I want.

And it's bloody comfy.

And it's damn capable off road.

And it has a whole lot more spec than a 200 Series.

And the sound when you hit the loud pedal matches the performance!

That's excellent you don't chew tyres . Not all cruisers burn oil either . Goes both ways
Old 27-02-2018, 04:12 AM
Here To Be Entertained

Thanked 6,168 Times in 3,814 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoe View Post
lol
why not?
a 4.8 is quicker i think you will find.
200 desals are crap.

you will also find that a chipped/tuned/exhausted zdj 200 is slower down the 1/4 than a bog stock 62.
I think you missed the bit where he said 'sloooow'
Old 27-02-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUEY View Post
I think you missed the bit where he said 'sloooow'
Nah read that bit, jacket said a 70 was slow.
Then said donít race a 200, so I assume he thinks they are quick?
Old 27-02-2018, 06:58 AM

Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,216 Posts

Guys, guys c'mon.. We all know we only bought Patrols because we couldn't afford LCs

GUII Ti 4500 - converted to TD42T auto
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFF45 For This Useful Post:
Marko_SJ (27-02-2018), warthog (27-02-2018)
Old 27-02-2018, 07:34 AM
Forum Tragic

Thanked 7,608 Times in 4,887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFF45 View Post
Guys, guys c'mon.. We all know we only bought Patrols because we couldn't afford LCs
No we didn't! 😜🤣

Foo

Hurry up corkhead!
Old 27-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Forum Tragic

Thanked 4,600 Times in 3,099 Posts

Quote:
True at the time. lol
(And even more accurate now)
Don't regret it though.
Old 27-02-2018, 07:54 AM
Forum Tragic

Thanked 7,608 Times in 4,887 Posts

Can't remember where it was but in response to three spots on the front of a vehicle, it is legal so long as they are together. I spot to Transport yesterday when doing the machinery on the B-double but do not mount LED lightbars above the top rail on ya bullbars! = $120 fine and one point off ya license. 😉

Foo

Hurry up corkhead!
Old 27-02-2018, 08:15 AM
I Am Me and I Love My ZD30

Thanked 11,170 Times in 7,387 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog View Post
True at the time. lol
(And even more accurate now)
Don't regret it though.
Absobloodylutely to both. If there had been another $20,000 in my bank account when I was looking for another 4by it probably would have been a Cruiser.

What I really don't get is the conversation about how quick a particular 4by is over short distances, is that why we buy 4by's? or is it to go offroad and explore our great country? To tow caravans and campers and roof top tents to those same places?

I've owned cars that did 10 seconds for the quarter, do I need anything like that in a fourby??????????? No. The 4by I had before the Patrol was much faster than what I have now, also very capable and very comfortable, but even with a number of mods it was nowhere near as tough, I started to break it so it went and the Patrol was born, this is the longest I've ever owned a vehicle, coming on 18 years.

It doesn't matter what you buy, there are good and bad points in all, people buy what suits them at the time, and as said at the beginning if I had another $20,000 spare at the time I would have bought a cruiser.

My 2 cents worth.
- Powercurve.com.au
Boost Control by Digibooster - Domestic Violence Has No Excuse.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geeyoutoo For This Useful Post:
isiman (01-03-2018), JFF45 (27-02-2018), warthog (27-02-2018)
Old 27-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Forum Tragic

Thanked 10,012 Times in 6,371 Posts

Quote:
You are a sick bastard.

ZD30 rules the road.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skegbudley For This Useful Post:
JFF45 (27-02-2018), Marko_SJ (28-02-2018)
Old 27-02-2018, 10:02 AM

Garage

After having a Patrol and getting to spend a lot of time in a 200, learning to drive in a 105 series and some time in a 60, I really can't understand why the Patrol sales are dwarfed by Landcruiser sales.

The v8 70 is not for me... I think it looks/sounds silly revving it's guts out at 5k per hour, marginally if at all better aurally than a ZD.
Old 27-02-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoutoo View Post

What I really don't get is the conversation about how quick a particular 4by is over short distances, is that why we buy 4by's? or is it to go offroad and explore our great country? To tow caravans and campers and roof top tents to those same places?
Yep, that's why i find it odd that the Toyota owner felt the need to race in the first place.
Old 27-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Garage

@Bond

Because v8 hairy chest mate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marko_SJ For This Useful Post:
Bond (27-02-2018)
Old 27-02-2018, 02:48 PM
SUI GENERIS UTE

Thanked 2,214 Times in 1,164 Posts

Its funny to visit the old model toyota forums, and having to read through the pages of absolute BS miss info without any sort of evidence and god help you if you write anything with engineering logic about engine / drivetrain even from the dudes that are actual mechanics. To me its a culture thing that got fu#ked up somehow.

There is no disputing the patrol even the y62 are the most capable strongest production 4x4 made to date. The patrol culture has always been to modify your pride and joy to suit your needs. They have always been a bit cheaper leaving you a few $$ to spend on mods to improve your ride and capabilities. I just felt at the time i brought my GQ in 1990 after a procession of toyota's and a range rover and a f truck in there for good measure it was a strong base with a engine with a lot of potential compared to the very much more expensive 2H leaf sprung toyota utes, I wasn't prepared to wait for the leaf 1HZ ute released later that year for near double the price of the patrol at the time.

Its really odd reading the toyota performance forum pages and facebook pages. It seems the norm to fit a Gturbo even with a 70% failure rate with no intake manifold changes or coolers how does that work then suggest 200 rwkw's in the same breath for god sake because the gturbo dude said so lol. We all know thats impossible now but yet that BS is still happening.

Then read the patrol forums its a lot more friendly with a attitude of leaning and offering info thats credible, there is very little oh that product is crap or that supplier is dodgy with only abuse without any evidence at all just some mate of mine said some crap, from then on its gospel...

The 200 series buyer is a totally different dude he buys his 200 series because its diesel and auto and its a V8, butt ugly in my opinion but they drive nice costs your life savings and have most of the comfy bits the 4x4 buyer now days want. I still believe the y62 leaves the 200 series in its wake in all aspects.

I am yet to drive or see a manual toyota that has the engine flexibility and sheer pleasure to drive compared to my dirty old modified TD42. It seems to me in the engine mods world the Nissan performance shop has a lot more smarts compared to what is advised in the toyota world. Even with the VD engine which we all know with minimal mods can produce some nice respectable numbers but man they are not that nice to drive in manual format.

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to OldMav For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (27-02-2018)
Old 27-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Master Coalroller

Thanked 1,073 Times in 753 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fits5 View Post
Re read my last post. Couldn't find any reference to oil.
I actually do chew tyres. Across the whole face of the tread when I hit the loud pedal and smoke them up
I said it about oil consumption.
Old 28-02-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMav View Post
Its funny to visit the old model toyota forums, and having to read through the pages of absolute BS miss info without any sort of evidence and god help you if you write anything with engineering logic about engine / drivetrain even from the dudes that are actual mechanics. To me its a culture thing that got fu#ked up somehow.

There is no disputing the patrol even the y62 are the most capable strongest production 4x4 made to date. The patrol culture has always been to modify your pride and joy to suit your needs. They have always been a bit cheaper leaving you a few $$ to spend on mods to improve your ride and capabilities. I just felt at the time i brought my GQ in 1990 after a procession of toyota's and a range rover and a f truck in there for good measure it was a strong base with a engine with a lot of potential compared to the very much more expensive 2H leaf sprung toyota utes, I wasn't prepared to wait for the leaf 1HZ ute released later that year for near double the price of the patrol at the time.

Its really odd reading the toyota performance forum pages and facebook pages. It seems the norm to fit a Gturbo even with a 70% failure rate with no intake manifold changes or coolers how does that work then suggest 200 rwkw's in the same breath for god sake because the gturbo dude said so lol. We all know thats impossible now but yet that BS is still happening.

Then read the patrol forums its a lot more friendly with a attitude of leaning and offering info thats credible, there is very little oh that product is crap or that supplier is dodgy with only abuse without any evidence at all just some mate of mine said some crap, from then on its gospel...

The 200 series buyer is a totally different dude he buys his 200 series because its diesel and auto and its a V8, butt ugly in my opinion but they drive nice costs your life savings and have most of the comfy bits the 4x4 buyer now days want. I still believe the y62 leaves the 200 series in its wake in all aspects.

I am yet to drive or see a manual toyota that has the engine flexibility and sheer pleasure to drive compared to my dirty old modified TD42. It seems to me in the engine mods world the Nissan performance shop has a lot more smarts compared to what is advised in the toyota world. Even with the VD engine which we all know with minimal mods can produce some nice respectable numbers but man they are not that nice to drive in manual format.
Have to disagree with the very last bit there Mav, my 79 is an absolute pleasure to drive. Yes it does have some carefully selected modifications.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Old 28-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Forum Tragic

Thanked 4,600 Times in 3,099 Posts

I can't be bothered with the whole tojo v nissan thing.
Nissan don't make a live axled 4wd anymore.
Toyota do.
That makes the choice for many of us
The Following User Says Thank You to warthog For This Useful Post:
Marko_SJ (28-02-2018)
Old 28-02-2018, 10:21 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog View Post
I can't be bothered with the whole tojo v nissan thing.
Nissan don't make a live axled 4wd anymore.
Toyota do.
That makes the choice for many of us
There is always the Suzuki Jimny.

Live axles, cheap to run and very reliable.

A real shame their driveline isnt as durable as the old SJ.