Wandering Warriors: Brisbane to Birdsville - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Forums > General Discussion

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-06-2013, 07:43 PM

Default Wandering Warriors: Brisbane to Birdsville

OK! After some doubts and some hiccups, we have now made the decision to go ahead with the Megawalk from Brisbane to Birdsville: 1600km in 33 days, using a relay-style walk. That's between 50-70km a day, shared by up to 5 walkers - all ex-SAS soldiers (most of us are now in our 60s but age shall not weary us).

This is a fundraising event conducted by the Queensland Branch of the Australian SAS Association. Proceeds will got to soldiers and families of those who have been killed, wounded or suffered psychological trauma as a result of the wars and other conflicts Australian Forces have been involved in.

We are leaving from Anzac Square, Brisbane at 9:00 am on 3 August, planning to arrive in Birdsville on 5 September, in time for the Birdsville Races. We will be camping out every night: swags, tents, rooftop campers, whatever, either in towns or by the side of the road.

We've got some corporate sponsorship and there will be fund-raising events and collections along the way, especially in the bigger towns. Route will be via Toowoomba, Roma, Mitchell, Charleville, Quilpie, Windorah, Birdsville - and everywhere on the road between!

The website is here: wanderingwarriors.org (Don't type .com - that's some martial arts mob in the US!) The site is live but has not been finished. The 'donation' page should be up and running soon but if anyone is interested in making a donation, I can PM the bank details or email a copy of the brochure we've just had prepared. We have just been given Charitable Status so all donations are tax-deductable.

For anyone going to the Birdsville races this year: see you there but I'm leaving earlier than most. It's a long walk!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM

Update!

Had a meeting in Brisbane yesterday finalising resources and trip details. It's all go!

Route has been finalised.

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxnkcSVhGxo

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wanderingwarriors

Sydney Morning Herald: SAS Troops Charity Walk

If anyone is driving between Brisbane and Birdsville in August-September, keep your eyes out. There'll be a few Army vehicles as well as some of our own trucks. If you spot us, come and say G'day!

Here are some dates from the itinerary:

Depart Brisbane: 3 August, 09:00 (Anzac Square)

Roma: 10 August

Charleville: 17 August

Quilpie: 21 August

Windorah: 27 August

Betoota: 1 September

Arrive in Birdsville: 5 September
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty

Thanked 1,836 Times in 1,026 Posts

Good Luck with that mate.

Take plenty of CRC for the knees.

Cheers......Lionel.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM

Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM

be going that way might see you on the way ( gold gq wagon and dtg camper trailer)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbills View Post
be going that way might see you on the way ( gold gq wagon and dtg camper trailer)
I'll be going a lot slower!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

I wish I could do it too. Not as a defence member but just as some one who's proud to know fine people and would enjoy a tough walk and the time spent sorting the ills of the world and learning so much of what went on. Good fun guys!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:56 AM
The Googlest, Apparently!

Thanked 4,045 Times in 2,472 Posts
Garage

I'm in mate, send me the bank details along with your actual name, I will then do the pay anyone thingy and let it show that it's from P4x4 via you to the cause.

I have tried the web page both here in the office and at my appartment and get blocked. Must be the settings on my company laptop (to which I do not have admin rights).

As Lionel said, you old farts better take some WD40 or CRC for those knees and hips...
Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillerboy View Post
I'm in mate, send me the bank details along with your actual name, I will then do the pay anyone thingy and let it show that it's from P4x4 via you to the cause.

I have tried the web page both here in the office and at my appartment and get blocked. Must be the settings on my company laptop (to which I do not have admin rights).

As Lionel said, you old farts better take some WD40 or CRC for those knees and hips...
PM sent, mate!
And yep, there will be plenty of WD40 (and some other medication!!)
Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 AM
LED ZEPPELIN

Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,639 Posts
Garage

The bank deposit details are on the FB page, I'll be donating today.

I work not far from Anzac Square so thought I'd come along on the 3rd to meet you and see you off ED - but it's a Saturday, and my home is 100km from there. Will you be in the city on the Friday night?

It seems I need more endothelial cells in my blood-brain barrier
Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo View Post

I work not far from Anzac Square so thought I'd come along on the 3rd to meet you and see you off ED - but it's a Saturday, and my home is 100km from there. Will you be in the city on the Friday night?
Not sure yet, Squalo. I'll probably drive up on the Saturday morning.

Thanks for the donation!!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 PM

From our Facebook page:

Toyota Australia has kindly provided a new model Land Cruiser dual cab tray back for Wandering Warriors to use during the walk. It has been decked out in 'Wandering Warriors colours' and is being picked up today by the Wandering Warriors CEO.

Thanks Toyota!

Last edited by Ex-Digger; 25-01-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 PM

A message from Lord Mayor Graham Quirk

It is an honour to lend my support to the Queensland branch of the Australian SAS Association and to those members who make up the team of the ‘Wandering Warriors’. As war veterans themselves, these special individuals understand first-hand the impact of war on soldiers and their families. It is for this reason they continue to volunteer so tirelessly to raise funds for the important charities that care for our wounded and injured defence force personnel.

This 1600 kilometre mega walk from Brisbane to Birdsville aims to do just that. The funds raised will help to make a difference to the lives of so many brave men and women.
As the Wandering Warriors commence this inspiring 33 day journey on 3 August, I wish them all the best and encourage the general public to get behind them and give generously. Through your support, you will be letting our soldiers know how much the Australian community values what they do on behalf of our nation.

Graham Quirk
Lord Mayor of Brisbane
Old 06-07-2013, 04:17 AM

On ya fella, need a nurse to look after all you old fella's knees?

Al
Lunacy Unanimous Club #6,(straight jacket supplied)
Rain, Hail, Sleet or Snow-We Go
Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 AM

Only if you walk with me!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Currently in PAD rehab

Thanked 3,871 Times in 3,110 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Ex-Digger can you pm me the bank deposit details id like to make a donation but dont use facebook.

There is also a law enforcement walk on (next year I think) but im keen to donate to the wandering warriors - I know the families will appreciate all the effort that you are going to.

Good Onya Cobba!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Codename ZedDee!
Old 06-07-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronus4x4 View Post
Ex-Digger can you pm me the bank deposit details id like to make a donation but dont use facebook.

There is also a law enforcement walk on (next year I think) but im keen to donate to the wandering warriors - I know the families will appreciate all the effort that you are going to.

Good Onya Cobba!
PM sent!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Currently in PAD rehab

Thanked 3,871 Times in 3,110 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Digger View Post
PM sent!
Cool ill get onto it this week on payday.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Codename ZedDee!
Old 13-07-2013, 09:37 PM

Posted new video. Brings back memories!

YouTube
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Forum Tragic

Thanked 9,900 Times in 6,317 Posts

Good to see you guys get coverage on the ch7 news tonight.