My first Mods to ZD30 CRD Ute - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Model Forums > Nissan Patrol GU/GR Y61

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-03-2019, 06:46 PM

Garage
Question My first Mods to ZD30 CRD Ute

Hi,
Just started on my first mods to my newly purchased 2014 DX Patrol Ute - Ex-Telstra job.
Actually first mod was this morning, but that came to a halt, ordered the wrong part - I think??
https://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/gene...ng-one-406463/

Anyhow. I'm going to install a Redarc EGT/Boost gauge.
I have only just got the turbo shield off so i can spray some motion juice on the nuts and let it soak in. The shield came out reasonably easy enough, just a lot of ballet moves. I used a long extension and a uni swivel to get the shield bolt out closest to the engine block. A good 10mm ring spanner is needed to get the rest out. I also undid the 2 nuts holding the turbo actuator so i could lift up and move slightly to get the shield out.
Just some questions - Should i cut a bit out of the shield to make it easier to go back on? Where is the best place to mount the EGT probe? on the dump pipe before the first bend? will I also then have to cut a hole in the shield to get the probe in and out easily?
The boost sensor - Does that go on the metal pipe between turbo and inter cooler? Also noticed a fair bit of oil in the intercooler pipe. No catch can installed yet.
Any advice/tips/hints will be appreciated, or anything I have done wrong.

Now I just have wait for Redarc to hurry up and deliver the gauge. Will update soon.....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4725.jpg (87.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4726.jpg (54.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4730.jpg (92.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4731.jpg (81.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4732.jpg (49.7 KB, 16 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-03-2019, 08:07 PM
I Am Me and I Love My ZD30

Thanked 11,184 Times in 7,398 Posts
Garage

Yes you can put it in either the IC inlet or outlet tubing, whichever is easier, you can also fit it where the MAP sensor is located.
- Powercurve.com.au
Boost Control by Digibooster - Domestic Violence Has No Excuse.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 29-03-2019, 09:03 PM

Garage

Thanks.
Yes I have seen those MAP blocks you can buy, but I think I’ll have a go myself.
Simple drill a hole a run a tape through it should be enough? Will I also need to use some type of sealant on the thread of the sensor?

Old 29-03-2019, 09:09 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadGu View Post
Thanks.
Yes I have seen those MAP blocks you can buy, but I think Iíll have a go myself.
Simple drill a hole a run a tape through it should be enough? Will I also need to use some type of sealant on the thread of the sensor?
That was the way I did it when I first started my NADS journey many years ago, and I used a smidgen of thread sealant. I think there might still be a pic of it in My Albums, but mines a DI so a slightly different shape.
- Powercurve.com.au
Old 30-03-2019, 08:59 AM
Forum Tragic

Thanked 10,013 Times in 6,372 Posts

Yes. Radius the corner that hits the actuator by about 10mm. Makes it dead simple to remove and fit after that.

I like shiny stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to skegbudley For This Useful Post:
ChadGu (30-03-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 07:48 PM

Garage

Anyone ever bought a Redarc EGT gauge? Mine just arrived to day and there is no boss to weld to the dump pipe in the kit for the probe to screw into????? I would have though for that price they'd throw in a little boss. I'll have to call them tomorrow to see what the go is.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Anyone ever bought a Redarc EGT gauge? Mine just arrived to day and there is no boss to weld to the dump pipe in the kit for the probe to screw into????? I would have though for that price they'd throw in a little boss. I'll have to call them tomorrow to see what the go is.
Mine did, think mine was in the bag of bits that came with it. If not then they should be plenty happy to send one your way.

My cynical side says maybe the seller takes it out and sells it separately just to double dip, but hope to be proven wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrismo For This Useful Post:
ChadGu (03-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 10:52 PM
Forum Tragic

Just be aware that the redarc is very slow to respond. It doesn't read accurately untill seconds after the temp stabilizes. The boost gauge ain't much better.

I like shiny stuff
Old 03-04-2019, 06:31 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skegbudley View Post
Just be aware that the redarc is very slow to respond. It doesn't read accurately untill seconds after the temp stabilizes. The boost gauge ain't much better.

I like shiny stuff
Thanks for the heads up. That's not what i'd expect from a $450 gauge!!!
I'll see if i can find an exhaust shop that will weld a bung in for me. Others i'm going to be waiting another week.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:23 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 1,083 Times in 837 Posts
Garage

It's not screwed on to the probe and you are just missing it. They are not very big.
Gold member #78
Old 03-04-2019, 04:18 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerGU View Post
It's not screwed on to the probe and you are just missing it. They are not very big.
Nah. Check everything. Called Redarc this morning. They were helpful and will send me the bung ASAP, but i couldn't wait so i went to Enzed and got some fitting to finish it off.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:23 PM

Dunno where in Melbourne you're located, but here's my story.
https://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/3-li...estion-405309/
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrieK For This Useful Post:
ChadGu (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 04:46 PM

Garage

So I've been busy today. I got the EGT probe, Boost port in and plumbed up. Just need to to sort out all the wiring under the dash next week when i get time.
It was pretty easy to get the dump pipe off. The bung went on fine (bit scratchy with my welding skills these days) decided to do it myself rather than get someone to do it. Drilled and taped a tread for the boost port just beside the IC intake hose.
I'll be adding a ScanData system later so it will be interesting to see if there is any boost drop off between the IC intake side and the sensor at the front (Out side) of the IC.

The worst part as always is the damn contortion act to get under dash and sort out the wiring through the firewall etc.

Anyway roughed in the wiring to see if works - took it for a quick run and it seem to work fine. Just need to complete the gauge mount, wiring and the beer drinking.

BTW. EGT temp goes all the way up to 600oC when i push it up a short hill? I was a bit surprised!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4778.jpg (54.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4784.jpg (68.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4793.jpg (64.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4795.jpg (72.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4796 - Copy.jpg (57.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4797.jpg (52.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4799.jpg (58.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4804.jpg (76.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4805.jpg (66.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-04-2019, 05:47 PM

Garage

Re boost connection, that was roughly where I fitted my first one, I drilled into the doubled section to get maximum thread depth and cut the fitting to be flush on the inside. Be aware you may get some oil mist into a boost connection in that area, might pay to check a couple of times over the next few months.
- Powercurve.com.au
Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoutoo View Post
Re boost connection, that was roughly where I fitted my first one, I drilled into the doubled section to get maximum thread depth and cut the fitting to be flush on the inside. Be aware you may get some oil mist into a boost connection in that area, might pay to check a couple of times over the next few months.
Cheers.
I didn’t cut it flush on the inside. I looked at it and thought it’s not ideal.
I’ll see how it goes and keep an eye on that oil.
The guage boost guage did jump around a little. Maybe that has something to do with not cutting it flush on the inside.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:58 PM
Forum Tragic

Quote:
Cheers.
I didnít cut it flush on the inside. I looked at it and thought itís not ideal.
Iíll see how it goes and keep an eye on that oil.
The guage boost guage did jump around a little. Maybe that has something to do with not cutting it flush on the inside.
The small amount that protrudes into the pipe won't have a adverse effect on boost readings. Although that isn't my preferred method of tapping into the intake. I have done this several times. The Tillix kit comes with a weld on threaded fitting so I weld these on a fair bit.
Your boost gauge will jump around a lot due to the eratic boost curve of the factory boost control.

I like shiny stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to skegbudley For This Useful Post:
ChadGu (16-04-2019)
Old 16-04-2019, 07:12 PM

Garage

So finally finished off the install.
Just went with a cheap eBay gauge holder to adhere to the dash. I just drill a hole in the back end of it and inserted a rubber grommet to run the wires through. I don't like drilling into things until i'm certain. I am going to try utilize a RAM mount to mount it eventually - just need to find the right bits.
Gauge works well and it is in a good position.

BUT!!! now i know hoe hot the damn EGT is sometime when moderately push the machine. Kind of scares me. going up a moderate size hills to Mansfield the temp can sometimes rise to 700oC!!!!! only a smallish weight in the back. Wow i couldn't believe it, cruising on the flat at 100kph it is around 500-550oC but as soon as it starts to labor in 5th it just climbs higher.
Is normal for a 2014 CRD???
I did increase tire pressure on all 4 tires to about 45 PSI for the trip home and that seemed to help a little, but still have to drive it very quietly up those inclines to stop it from EGT redline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4861.jpg (68.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4862.jpg (60.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4863.jpg (40.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4866.jpg (49.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 17-04-2019, 09:34 AM

Garage

I'd use fourth gear up the hills.

My pryro is perhaps another inch down the dump pipe than yours so not sure how big of a difference that would make to indicated EGT.

I try never to push mine past 550-600c, but I have a 3" exhaust, cross country cooler blah blah blah. It does get there a little easier than I would like, but I am running a maxed-out fuel chip.

If I were you, I'd now add a Dawes valve and set it for a max of 17-18psi. IF you're not doing bigger exhausts and intercoolers this would go a long way to improve your EGT. I found running more boost (but not too much) made a huge difference.
Old 17-04-2019, 07:20 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko_SJ View Post
I'd use fourth gear up the hills.

My pryro is perhaps another inch down the dump pipe than yours so not sure how big of a difference that would make to indicated EGT.

I try never to push mine past 550-600c, but I have a 3" exhaust, cross country cooler blah blah blah. It does get there a little easier than I would like, but I am running a maxed-out fuel chip.

If I were you, I'd now add a Dawes valve and set it for a max of 17-18psi. IF you're not doing bigger exhausts and intercoolers this would go a long way to improve your EGT. I found running more boost (but not too much) made a huge difference.
Cheers
I was hoping to not have to go down the Dawes or equivalent route with this late model (2014) CRD. It doesn’t over boost at the moment.
I’m new to these engines, but I imagine more boost, but not past 18psi would give more power and lower EGT?
It currently boosts about 15-16pai max.
Old 18-04-2019, 09:37 AM

Garage

Quote:
Cheers
I was hoping to not have to go down the Dawes or equivalent route with this late model (2014) CRD. It doesnít over boost at the moment.
Iím new to these engines, but I imagine more boost, but not past 18psi would give more power and lower EGT?
It currently boosts about 15-16pai max.
What boost does it run when you are driving up those hills?

You could set the Dawes to 15-16PSI and set an aggressive spool rate, this will keep you clear of 17PSI for whatever seconds it is limp mode but go a long way for blowing the heat out of it up hills.

You will gain driveability from a fast spool up and a few PSI more, possibly notice an increase to fuel consumption but overall power will stay much the same.

My car was far less smokey after Dawes too.

Tags
diy, dx ute, egt guage, install