MQ SWB body to GQ SWB chassis? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Model Forums > Nissan Patrol MQ/MK 160/260 series

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 09:56 PM

Default MQ SWB body to GQ SWB chassis?

G,day guys, only just joined.

just wondering if this has ever been done, im just turned 15 and have two mq shortys and in the process of buying a gq swb. i am hopefully planning to mount the mq body to the gq chassis and run gu diffs and put in a td42 so its going to be a long process but will be a weapon in the end. what i was wondering if is its possible to mount the mq body to the gq chassis considering wheel base etc.

if anyone has any ideas more info would be much appreciated.

kind regards
charlie.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 09:16 AM
Troys real father.

Thanked 3,394 Times in 2,194 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Martin View Post
G,day guys, only just joined.

just wondering if this has ever been done, im just turned 15 and have two mq shortys and in the process of buying a gq swb. i am hopefully planning to mount the mq body to the gq chassis and run gu diffs and put in a td42 so its going to be a long process but will be a weapon in the end. what i was wondering if is its possible to mount the mq body to the gq chassis considering wheel base etc.

if anyone has any ideas more info would be much appreciated.

kind regards
charlie.
Not only wheel base you need to worry about , but from memory the chassis are a different width too. Oh and welcome to the forum. And if James see's this he is the MK .MQ guru.
Is there anywhere my crd won't go.
240000 kms and still going strong.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 13-05-2019, 05:21 PM
Sell me your MK.

Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,646 Posts
Garage

It has been done, but it is not particularly easy.

The chassis' are different between the two, all the GQ body mounts will have to be cut off and custom mounts made to suit the MQ body.
The wheelbase is about 1" different from memory, so you may run into tyre clearance issues unless you cut the guards on the MQ body.
The engine and transmission mounting will slightly different so you might run into engine bay clearance issues trying to position the body where it'll work with engine and transmission location and axle location.
Transmission and transfer shifters are in different locations so you'll be cutting holes in the body and sealing up the holes from the MQ shifters.
The wiring could turn into a nightmare - engine senders will likely work on a different ohm/voltage range so they may not be compatible with the MQ gauge cluster. You will have to adapt the GQ engine wiring to suit the MQ body, and cut out the bits you don't need. It might even be easier to make a new loom to suit the GQ engine and cut out the engine wiring from the MQ loom. It will also depend on what electrical components you keep from each car.
There's no guarantee that brake and fuel lines will be compatible, the bodies are similar between MQ and GQ but I think the firewalls might be slightly different.
Radiator support and floor pans are different too.

There will likely be other issues that you will run into too, it's not a quick and easy weekend job.

'86 SD33T Deluxe SWB with some things that do stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to james008 For This Useful Post:
GUzdute (13-05-2019)

Old 14-05-2019, 12:11 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage

Im interested in why this idea.

If its due to the removable canopy of gq, would ut not be easier to chop the gq similar to mq.

I loved my old MK and miss how fun it was.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

https://m.facebook.com/Heavensent-Ad...5552486461725/

Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised.
Old 17-05-2019, 12:10 PM

Garage

You would be best to fit the GQ dash and wiring into the mq swb and just mod the wiring to suit mq lights the GQ brake booster and master fit a mq if you have clearance uses with the floor pan a body lift kit can help with custom mods like this the body mounts will need relocating the front shocks the mq body will be different there as stated the gearbox tunnels are different so best to strip the interiors out and compare you will need to have wider wheel arch flairs to cover the extra tyre with and lots of welding and mods but can be done if you you take your time and plan it out do heaps of measurements of engine bay sizes wheelbase body mount locations gearbox tunnels it's a big project a 2 post hoist will be needed to do the body swap safely radiator support will need mods to fit a GQ radiator it's a lot of work and will require experience and will need a mod plate fitted in the end for registration.