GU Death Wobble - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussion Forums > Suspension and Steering

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 02:20 PM

Default GU Death Wobble

Hi all, I know this has been done to absolute death, but this is more about doing the work than 'how to fix it' I guess, if anyone could help would appreciate it.

Searching for my death wobble, I saw that the drag link is bent. Don't know how, and I'm sure it hasn't always been like that, but I assume that could be a culprit? Haven't seen it mentioned much in death wobble threads.

Anyway I'll get a new one regardless, as well as some new panhard rod bushes seeing as they're cheap as nails and check the swivel hub preload etc.

I did however notice that my wheel hubs don't...line up for lack of a better word? Noticed it while looking straight on, the drivers side hub sits straight up and down, but the passenger side doesn't line up on the vertical plane.

The wheel bearings are new (tightened last week just to be sure) and there is no play in the hub in any direction. Anyone know why this could be? I was thinking a bent axle or something similar? Could this attribute to my death wobble? The front left tyre doesn't wear badly, and it doesn't seem to sit weird when it's on the ground, but I rotate every 10,000km so maybe it's just not on there long enough to notice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 02:36 PM
I Am Me and I Love My ZD30

Thanked 10,934 Times in 7,269 Posts
Garage

There are so many threads on this now it is confusing, a bent drag link would alter wheel alignment, so that would be one reason it isn't mentioned, we take it that a wheel alignment and balance has been done before the subject is raised.

The Death Wobble Poll in the General Patrol Discussion Archives highlights the issues that create the wobble, including upright bearings, which could well play a part in your issue.

I'm not convinced we need another thread on this well done subject, maybe merged with the existing educational thread.
- Powercurve.com.au
Boost Control Now by Digibooster - Domestic Violence Has No Excuse.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-05-2019, 07:34 PM

Panhard looks a little sus from that photo, have you checked to see if that moves under load? As for the hubs not "lining up", was the car jacked up perfectly even on a perfectly even surface? I wouldn't think the camber would contribute to a death wobble, more of a pull to the side with more positive camber. Also, is it an actual death wobble - ie once it starts shaking you literally have to come to a stop for it to stop shaking, or is it only a vibration at a certain speed?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 14-05-2019, 08:36 AM

As mattsgu said

Is it the death wobble where it wobbling violently when you hit a bump in the road and you have to pull over or is it just a vibration at certain speeds?

Death wobble no doubt is because of worn rubber bush somewhere thats not holding tight anymore.

The shimmy or vibration could be preload or wheel balance or tyres
Mamba 18G 6cm
Dyno Tuned to 23psi
315 75 16 Kumho Mt51
Highway 13.3L/100km
Suburb 14.6-15.6L/100km
Old 14-05-2019, 08:19 PM

Have you checked the king pin bearings it was the cause of my death wobbles hasn't happened again since they were replaced.