Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.

Did as much research on this as possible.

My 03 ST has increased fuel consumption noticibly. I usually get up to 900kms out of the 120ltrs in the Patrol but on a recent trip to the olds (300kms one way) the fuel light came on as I was getting back into Rocky, only get 630kms out of the 120 ltrs.

There were a few things changed before this trip.
1. It was serviced two days before the trip which I wouldnt think would increase fuel consumption
2. Installed Provent 200, again I didnt think would mess with fuel consumption (check all hose clamps were tight as well)
3. Cleaned MAF, I've got photos of this below because it looks like crap to me. Cleaned it with proper contact cleaner.
4. After I cleaned the MAF I disconnected the battery for the best part of 2hrs (reading now should have done it over night?)

I've also read that it could be injectors? or running 2stroke in the fuel?

The MAF looks pretty fooked to me. Lots of red dirt from its previous life in western queensland. The previous owner used to do his own servicing too.

Here's the pics of the MAF. Looks poo huh.

If it is the MAF, does it look like it can be cleaned or would it be best to replace it as I dont know when it was last replaced, it could very well be the original.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
I'd change the MAF just on spec... it looks like it has a had a pretty hard life and should be pensioned off.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to leave the batt disconnected overnight (as you say) to ensure the ECU is forced to relearn but that may also mean a jump in consumption till it gets itself sorted... unless the Service Crew dicked with it and it is relearning already but the Consult Guru's would know the answer to whether that is a possibility

Me... I'd change the MAF, disco the Battery and see what happens over a few tanks as the ECU sorts itself out.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Measure the MAF voltages to confirm its knackered.

ECU Talk ECUTalk - News is a great tool to have as it measures the MAF voltages, great with the situation that you currently have.

While I can not see the pictures at work (internet filters), if the MAF is dirty/dusty, this would indicate dust getting past the air cleaner (obviously).

Did you possibly get a bad batch of fuel?

What air cleaner are you running?

If you are using genuine, which way is the rubber seal facing, up or down?

Did you clean the MAF with a cotton bud?

Do you have an EGT gauge and if so what temps were evident during this bad economy run?

How many km's on the motor?

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What voltages should it be measuring and how do I do that? I can look for athread if thats easier.

I got it serviced by Campbell Motors, so unsure of what sort of air cleaner. I can check that though. I beleive the dust thats on there has been there a while, its red dust from old mates paddock, been there long enough to discolour the plastic as far as I can see.

No, didnt clean MAF with a cotton bud, is this a good thing or bad.

No EGT gauge, although I know I should. Havent got there yet.

Motors into the low 190's.

Still has maintained the bad economy (just remembered), went to Biloela, 130k's each way and used over half the main tank.

Could this be the computer relearning after battery disco and MAF clean?

It looks like the MAF needs to be binned anyway.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Post 5 from this thread for MAF testing.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...ference-document-zd30-owners-look-here-31418/

Do not clean the MAF with a cotton bud, there has been known problematic issues with the MAF when doing it this way.

I would not expect the bad economy to be there after changing the MAF, resetting the ECU and doing some 260km.

You may have a faulty MAF from new, which has been know to happen in the past.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Post 5 from this thread for MAF testing.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...ference-document-zd30-owners-look-here-31418/

Do not clean the MAF with a cotton bud, there has been known problematic issues with the MAF when doing it this way.

I would not expect the bad economy to be there after changing the MAF, resetting the ECU and doing some 260km.

You may have a faulty MAF from new, which has been know to happen in the past.
Hey mate, haven't replaced the maf yet only cleaned it. Maybe my attempt to clean it had the opposite effect and has stuffed it.

I'll get my bro and his multimeter round to check voltages.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
great thread, starting to find im getting a little average fuel economy after fitting dawes/needle setup. max boost is 15/16psi. havent cleaned maf or intercooler yet (on the list). provent fitted too. didnt disco battery after dawes/needle, guess i should have?

ill be watching to see what happens with yours adamski

thanks in advance

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Hey mate, haven't replaced the maf yet only cleaned it. Maybe my attempt to clean it had the opposite effect and has stuffed it.

I'll get my bro and his multimeter round to check voltages.
I'd say the MAF may have been stuffed or on its last legs if its the original (190k), & after cleaning it, it may have finally died.

People like Chaz are changing them at 100k intervals for peice of mind, or when the are showing signs of incorrect voltages.

Get onto Nizzbits from the forum & get a new MAF, cheap insurance to stop the grenade going off.

This is one of many reason to have a Pyro fitted. With excessive fuel usage under normal driving conditions, the EGT's would be considerably higher and be evident on the gauge.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well MAF has been ordered from Nizzbits. I'll report back about how it goes.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$255 as quoted by Nizzbits for genuine item express posted. Cheap insurance.

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
just a comment....recently disconnected my battery o/night for the first time. Never did it when installing and playing with needle/dawes set up, and I have not recovered my economy yet, has been about 1000km. Have gone from 13lts/100 average to approx 14. She had been as regular as clockwork 13lt/100 for the last 10k. Maybe it takes a few ks to settle in again?

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info gents.

Has been the same through a couple of tanks of fuel now and easily 1200-1300 kms.

Also the maf probably needs to be replaced anyways, looks like the original item and as you can see from the pics it looks like crap

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well a bit of a development, heading to a mates for a BBQ and coming round the roundabout heading out of rocky and lost all engine power, only lasted 5 seconds or so and now all good again.

MAF can't come soon enough!

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got home from work and MAF is here, will put it in and disco battery tonight. Hopefully will have a new animal tomorrow.

Thanks Nizzbits for your speedy service.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just put MAF in and took it for a drive, all I can say is WOW, she's back....power wise anyway. Have disco'd the battery for the night. The mrs is taking it on a highway run tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
nissan
1,335 Posts
I put a new maf in last year chasing economy, didnt do a thing, to late to suggest save your money.

I did an oil change recently and didnt put the usual low ash oil in it and have lost about .6 to .8 litres to a 100, i'd say check which oil they used.

I'll be replacing mine real soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well just got back from an overnight trip to the olds, first time since new MAF. Fuel economy is definitely back. Towed my brother in laws big box trailer down to pick up some timber and still managed 310 km out of half the main tank, approximately 14l/100k.

Towed probably a tonne home and still have a quarter of the main tank left (used sub) loaded like this.

Very happy, MAF definitely made a lot of difference. Next trip after Xmas is without the trailer and with one less adult so should be good. Just wish I had cruise control like the white patrol had.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts