Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the earlier (99-03) models have a tendancy to let go.
We all know what we can do to minimise the risk.
This thread isnt about that.
This thread is to get a rounded answer on if the ZD30 has infact been made reliable or not.
It is generally said that models from 04 onwards can be considered reliable as Nissan sorted out the issues and the problem has been solved once and for all.
So, for those of you out there that have a Patrol with a ZD30 that was built in 04 or later, i would like to hear what your stories are as to reliablility.

Word of warning though, this thread will not become a 4.2 is better than a 3.0 thread, not interested in hearing the B.S at all. :rolleyes:
Only want a broad rounded view of what the public thinks of the later ZD30.
Past and current owners really need only reply. :cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
I've got an 05 GUIV, and havn't had any problems with the actual donk itself, I have however had the Clutch, DM Flywheel, Hubs, Turbo, Waterpump, Aircon Compressor, Starter motor, alternator all replaced (thank god I payed for the aftermarket warranty :D)

Some of the Parts failures I've put down to the previous owner (Grey Nomads) I don't think 4wd had ever been engaged so the hubs didn't get lubed properly so the first time they were engaged they started playing up, The DMF/Clutch/Turbo I put down to lugging a caravan around Australia.

The aircon/starter motor I think may have been from when I got stuck in a water hole for a while :rolleyes:

I havn't got any of the NADS stuff fitted yet BUT all the parts for it are either sitting on my desk or in transit to be fitted in the next 2 weeks

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
569 Posts
As my signature says, I own a 2006 ST-S. ZD-30 Manual TD. It has over 196,000km now, and had 194,000km when I bought it. I am the second owner, not a single Nads mod or bling mod has been done. Yet!. It was owned by a guy who owned his own business and was a lease vehicle. Has had new clutch and brakes and regular services. Chem tech diesel additive has always been used since new and I will continue to do so too.
The owner never new about the grenade nickname, the zd30 issues and was surprised when i questioned him so seriously, almost interrogated! No limp mode or any other issues except a blown fuse when the factory fitted spottier are switched on when highbeam is already engaged.

I have all the NADS goodies to go on, starting with ProVent catch can and get gauge on Wednesday. ECUtalk will be fitted tomorrow, just to keep a close eye on everything. I will also be getting a oil pressure, oil temp and water temp gauge when ready from Autron. EGR will be blocked in a few weeks and a Dawes and needle valve will be fitted within the next month. The major service coming up will be a chance to have a real good look at everything in the whole drive train. The front wheel bearings were done about 3000kms ago.

I have also ordered some BFG Km2. A 2nd 3 inch EFS lift is going to be done when the tyres arrive!

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,789 Posts
Can we also include past models we had ?
I had 2005 Patrol SVE Y61 LWB all standard sold it 2009. Only misc items like wipers,tires and filters not a single problem 50K on the clock. Only used it on the motorways around Europe never went off road in it.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,255 Posts
my 2 cents here:

i am going to go on a roundabout way to explain about my now 04 model patrol i own.
my patrol ownership started 5years ago with a 00 model patrol,when i bought it with 140k on clock,the owner had clutch/dmf/engine replaced so i bought it with new engine the previous owner said it had just 10k done,over all veichle milage at my time of purchace read 140k, i clocked up to 170k and head went again,P.O.S,that was overall only around 30k miles that new engine done.

so i went and bought an 04 patrol with 130k on clock last year.
now with around 180k up,when i bought it was very neglected,and was needing a service badly,the DMF was just done and clutch @ 80k, im driving it sinse then with now 180k up and the engine is fine,but the hubb seals need to be done now as they are leaking,the door hinges need to be replaced and a rear roll bars need some bushing replaced,but these items are expected.

it is going well but i am a paranoid owner,i do see some changes to older one i owned like shorter-smaller sump,with oil of 8,2 liters up from 6.2 liters,so the engine has better lubrication.... and i think as far as i know nissan put another oil sensor on the head of this model and other small changes.

i don't know as i say i baby it,i do tow a lot heavy traliers of wood,sand and building materials but i do baby it.

so far so good,but i never trust it like i did with my old landcruiser.

IM0 the patrol is a heavy machine with a small diesel engine for it's size tuned fairly high,it needs to
be respected and looked after,hard driving whilst towing in my opinion is what killed most of them
as they just can't keep cooled good enough with the extra weight,i don't care what's said but this is
the only explaination,i hear of most that have went 'bang' were used pretty hard,i havn't heard about one that hasn't towed and suffered a failure.

i honestly think if one of these were used as a 'car' and not worked too hard it could last a very long time
nissan bought the expectations of the patrol to a very high level,then they were abused,but i don't care about size
and power,everything needs to be minded.

when i tow heavy loads now with mine i drive very easy,never passing 45mph,depending on weight!!

my last 00 patrol i remember being able to do 150kmh with full load on tow,no wonder the head went in her ;):rolleyes::confused:

just my 2 cents!

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,345 Posts
I personally know of several 05 models that have expired in the same way (holed piston or 2) and a few with cracked heads. In fact, one went only last week that belongs to a work colleague. Still waiting to hear the diagnosis, but it sounds like a holed piston. This one had done just over 200K and a mates 2004 expired at 165K’s, both with no NADS.

It seems they are getting higher K’s than the earlier ones, but I don’t think anything was fixed after 2003, at least up to the CRD models in 2007.

·
Registered
nissan patrol Gu6
1,276 Posts
I don't think any of the pre CRD patrols are safe. I think the CRD patrols have been sorted. Between 2005 and the crd there also seem to be quite a few reports of significant head issues.

In saying that I owned a 2004 zd30 with 160000kms and sold it without any issues.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
43 Posts
G'day All,

I own a 2004 May build ST wagon with manual transmission. Bought it with 14000 k's on the clock about 5 years ago and now about to turn over 135000 k's. Vehicle is mainly used for bush and camping with the occasional road trip to work etc. The vehicle has no mods to it just stock standard and has been serviced regulary every 5000 k's. At this point in time touch wood here I have had no issues with any mechanical electrical component of thge motor or vehicle.

Cheers..Damo..:bananaro::victory:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The son has an 04 ZD30 now done 136000k, serviced every 5000k including cleaning the MAF and new air filter every 10,000k. Apart from glow plugs at 100,000k and an intercooler replacement under warranty its still running sweet. Clutch is getting very worn so that will be soon, apart from the little things that need a bit of attention during services he is very happy with it, it has warranty till 200,000k so if its going to let go he's praying it does so before the warranty expires.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
16,525 Posts
The 06 I bought for the conversion was blown (hole in piston), was owned by a divorced soccer mum and used as a shopping trolley, kiddy bus for scouts in the local area (she gave the run down when I bought it).

Full service history till it went bang at 92k kms, maybe she just floored it straight out of the garage and that did the damage, I have no idea, rest of the vehicle was in excellent condition but Nissan would not come to the part on warrantee.

Bad for her, good for me as it was very cheap. She had obviously cleaned out the ex as she replaced it with a 200 series Sahara.

Edit; left out "not" on nissan warrantee sentence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an Oct 2004 build ZD30 auto.
Vehicle was bought in June '07 with 61,000kms on the clock and has now done 170,000kms.
I bought an extended warranty and had a leaky rear wheel seal, serpentine belt tensioner and blistering dash fixed under warranty with no probs.
Vehicle gets a book service every 10,000 kms and is stock standard but for a Dawes Valve fitted around 150,000.
Mechanic has told me the shocks are pretty well stuffed so will be replaced next service with Konis.
I am a carpenter and use the vehicle for work and tow a tradesman's trailer every week day as well as 4x4 driving when I can. Longest trip was into Rudall River National Park for 2 weeks in 2007.
I am very happy with the vehicle and will be keeping it for the forseeable future.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
928 Posts
I think the statment after 2004 ZD30 DI motors are safe is missleading. They appear to be better but im still convinced the Grenading problem is there. My mates 2005 GUIV holed a piston at 90km. He was strapped for cash so we brought a low milage second hand engine from a 2004 car and fitted it. Been fine but he wishes he listened to me and fitted the nads soon as he got the car.

Also i'vr heard members talking about different capacity sumps. As far as i know all the sumps are the same just the later ones had a shorter dipstick so they held more oil at full.

In conclusion. Not all ZD motors appear to **** themselves but they are large numbers that do. My personal recomendation. Fits NADS to ANY zd30 DI you know.

·
Registered
nissan
1,729 Posts
I have two friends with zd30 patrols that know nothing about the cars at all except just drive them (not into 4wding or anything, just shopping trolleys).

The 2000 model has 370000kms on the clock with no issues at all.
THe 2003 models has 300000kms on the clock with no issues to speak of.

I thinks its just that we only hear of the ones that do pop.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
102 Posts
05 ZD 3.0 140,000. No problems since new and only problems with the rest of the wagon is the rear barn door and the dashboard which nissan have finally puleed their finger out and replaced.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi there

I have 260,000km on a 2004 GU3. The only problem that I have had was failure of the MAF shortly after I got it. I have now fitted NADS, blocked the EGR, fitted a catch can, and resolved the overboosting with the VNT stop screw. Last mod is sitting in the garage, a 3" exhaust to go on.

It is still going strong, touch wood.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts