Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an interesting issue with my ZD30 2004 Patrol, which I am pretty sure is the immobiliser based on what I've read in these forums but just want to check if anyone has any other ideas (or can confirm it is indeed the immobiliser).

Every once in a while i will go to start my car and it will crank no problem but wont start. Sometimes I just try again and it starts second time, sometimes I turn the key over and try again and it starts, sometimes i try 5-6 times and it still doesn't start, then come back an hour later and it does.

I know for a fact it isn't the batteries, starter motor, alternator or crankshaft position sensor as they are all new. I have tried two keys - one original and one aftermarket - and it happens with both equally. I live in the Pilbara so no issues with cold weather either. And yes, I wait for the glow plug light to go out before starting every time. Manually pumping fuel doesn't help either.

Auto sparky said a fault code was coming up for the crank position sensor and immobiliser, but the Nissan dealer refused to hand codes over to him to see if they were related so I took it to Nissan who just replaced the sensor. Problem not solved though so surely it must be the immobiliser yes?

Last point I should make is the drivers side door is jammed shut, lock isn't working after a nasty bump on a 4wd track so I am getting in Dukes of Hazzard style atm (i.e. not opening the door). Could this affect the immobiliser at all?

Anyone have ideas on specific issue causing this, costs involved etc.? I am thinking of just bypassing the immobiliser as I don't plan on ever selling it (the body is so scratched I doubt I ever could :D).

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
I'd put money on it being the NATS (immobiliser) mate. That's exactly how my issues started. Try disconnecting the battery for a while as some say it can help. It didn't for me. The issue with NATS is it can be a fault anywhere from the key to the injector pump. It is quite common for the key reader in the barrel to fracture apparently but thet wasn't my issue either. I ended up bypassing and fitting aftermarket immobiliser.

You mention your door lock being jammed. I don't think this would effect NATS but did the problem you describe start after this big knock. I'm curious.

Catcha;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi there,
I had the same issue on my Patrol and the problem was a malfunctioning relais.
Check the relais behind the cover on the drivers side where all the fuses are.
There are 3 which you can see easily,but there is another one above them on the right,you only can see it when you look up from the floor.
This one was faulty and did not switch power to the immobiliser. You can exchange it with one of the other relais to check.
Mine is a 2007 model so maybe it is a bit different on yours,but in principal it should be the same.
Cheers and good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts