Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 definative standard Nissan patrol test.

As per title, I have decided to keep and not upgrade my current 04 ZD30 patrol,this has proven it self so far as been the best vehicle i have ever owned,It is a standard patrol with no modds,no nadds and i intend on keeping it standard.

I don't do anything only the normal service stuff,I do clean out my airfiler every 2500miles (approx) with compressed air and run the patrol on dipetane mix.

So,I have just hit 200,000 miles (equivalent to 322000kmh) and this patrol has worked very hard,the patrol was never touched and has a full history as uk import,no mechanical work ever carried out only was DMF taken out and replaced with a solid unit,I am on first day Maf,I AGAIN got it tested last week with nissan just as a precaution and it's 100percent.

This patrol works very hard every day,off road towing large loads of hardwood,As i mainly am stuck in tree care work,I am mostly in fields and towing out wood everyday,this patrol had itself paid for over and over........been faultless other than the normal wear and tear items like links and seals and the usual small things...

My plan now is to keep it on the road and see how many KMH'S i can achieve with it.

Hope this thread intrests some and i think it should be intresting,hope i don't jinx the old beast now lol....

As of now it's driving the same if not better than when i first got it,gearbox,engine and to drive is as comfy as first day i got it,It just proved to be a great vehicle.

The only other thing i can say is using the dipetane changed the patrol,it made it more consistant,less laggy on the throttle and far more power.

As i hit the 200000 mile mark i decided to give it a good wax/polish!
I hope this thread don't turn in to a debate this or that,it is what it is and please take it as it's intended.

will update,hope i can get to 500k's :grin::wink:

-Dan

Attachments

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts
Good on you Dan (or as we say here in Oz, "onya Dan"), the vehicle is a credit to you, where's the trailer you pull?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi geeyoutoo,

Thanks,for those sitting on the fence and considering getting a ZD30 patrol,I would say go for it,a great vehicle,I am very happy with this one.

For those on the fence considering getting a ZD patrol here is the past work i had to do.

Seemingly all these parts decided to pack up around the 150000miles mark (not kmh) not to confuse,so calculate to KMH yourself.

Expect these to be the normal wear & tear patrol items if you use it all the time.

- @ 80000 Miles Solid mass flywheel fitted and new clutch
& From 150000miles onwards the Following items changed.
- Powersteering box changed
- Front king pin bearings both sides
- Front drag link bar & damper complete unit
- Front hub seals both sides
- Rear Electrical stabi unit changed
- Diff lock actuator changed
- New alternator fitted
- Belt tensioner & pully fitted
- Diff lock control module removed/Unplugged (now switch it on manually myself from outside)
- Bonnet struts replaced
- Passenger door hinges replaced.
- Drop links all round changed
- Rear brake discs fitted
- ABS speed sensor fitted
- Coolant expantion tank changed (watch these as they crack & can leak)
- On third battery (Bosch,they last only two years everyday use)

If other stuff comes up that i can't think of right now i will add to the list,I must admit i did get a scalding at the 150000mile mark,cost a nice few euros to rectify the old beast but most of my work is done offroad so that most likely would account for extra wear & tear also.

Geeyoutoo,

Here is the tralier i tow,It's a 9x5 twin axle and old,i deliberately use it as it's light and restricts me to towing 3tonnes max of hardwood (High clamped up load) which i don't like to exceed in any case,I have two other larger traliers but try not to use them cause i know i could go to 6tonnes easy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Few more shots,Interior isn't pretty as in i rarely ever clean it,floor is always dusty ,drivers seat is torn and needs to be replaced,that or a decent seat cover,again this is a workhorse and not something i want spotless inside....The nature of my work means i'm always sitting in covered in mud and sawdust anyway....lol saying that there is no interior damage other than the seat bolster,nothing that can't be cleaned up.

One thing i will credit myself though for is the outside,the body work is mint,not a scratch or dent nor mark,I do like to mind my 4x4's.

To do list....

- leaky intercooler
- drivers seat replaced
- rear stabi link ball joint replaced
- As i have intercooler off i might take off intake and inspect/clean maybe

Some pics.....

Out of all the 4x4's i owned this is the most ecocnomical and powerful of them all,I would credit dipetane for some of that power too though,No black smoke ever and far more power!

I have owned the following:

- Isuzu Trooper 00 model
- Toyota Landcruiser 90 - 99model
- Nissan patrol 00model
- Nissan patrol 04 model (current)

-Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main reason for this thread was to show the typical maintainence to newer patrol owners,or lads sitting on the fence,well when you are working and using the patrol everyday in light to moderate offroad conditions expect this to be the normal wear and tear items.

I think please god in a few years (fingers crossed) this thread will make intresting reading when i update along the way.

Thanks for looking,
-Dan

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This old beast always has to work hard,the tralier i use may seen small but there is a lot of mass/weight in hardwood!

This tralier does the job and it's light,when you are lugging out hardwood constantly from soft muddy fields etc i think it's enough of weight!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So as this is the patrol ZD engine section my aim is to see how the engine performs post 200000 miles,So far engine and box hasn't missed a beat.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone think it's a good idea to keep the thread here,I though it might be of intrest to update stuff on it along the way and the mileage i will be able to achieve with it.

If you feel the thread is irelevant then you can delete it,I though it might be of intrest and proove what a normal unmodified and unabused patrol in european conditions can achieve.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,671 Posts
Keep up the updates mate.
Love the trailer loads. What is the timber used for?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts
Does anyone think it's a good idea to keep the thread here,I though it might be of intrest to update stuff on it along the way and the mileage i will be able to achieve with it.

If you feel the thread is irelevant then you can delete it,I though it might be of intrest and proove what a normal unmodified and unabused patrol in european conditions can achieve.
Mate go for it, this is our ZD30DI section, builds as such do have their own section but I have kept one in here as a reference. Your situation is quite unique in a few ways and like you I think environment plays a big part in your longevity.

So we will leave it here.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good stuff geeyoutoo..

I bet you fell in love with the interior when you saw it :grinroll:

yeah that's what i was thinking,as of late my trips are starting to get longer and longer,my recent work was almost a 300mile round trip with 3tonne on tow both ways,so it's working hard IMO constantly. I know in australia you lads would only laugh at that trip and your patrols would not even be warmed up yet,I normally look after it and drive easy whilst towing but sometimes i can tend to drive it on hard even when towing,depending on how much of a hurry i'm in.

I am intrested to see how long it keeps going for without any grief,first day IP in there also,If anything was to go first my money would be on that,not sure if the dipatane would help prolong it or not,who knoes,we'll see how she goes.In many ways it's a risk also using dipatane constantly like me,I don't have any proof of it's longterm effect on the fuel system,It is reccomended to do it all good but you never know,It definately feels like it's helping the engine in terms of power and cleaness etc.

I obviously won't be bumping the thread regularly,I will report again if anything happens/breaks or when i achieve the 300000 miles mark.(Fingers crossed)

It's just had it's 200000mile service two days ago.oil filters,diff /axle oils/gearbox oils checked and drive shaft greased up.
Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep up the updates mate.
Love the trailer loads. What is the timber used for?

The wood is for firewood,I sell that, as part of the way i opperate i get a call,remove a tree and normally get the wood as part payment for cutting the tree,only if it's good hardwood,softwood isn't the best here.

I do be clearing out land also a lot for people.At the moment i am clearing 100acres which have been neglected since the late 1800's..... lot of wood there!!

So i'm busy thank god in recession burdened country.

Hope it's ok to post the following link but if you want to see a lot of loads of wood here is a thread linked to some of my work on -->

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/land-clearing-with-husqvarna-365sp-440xtorq.189843/

Thread is huge,covers my own work and work i do for others started a few years ago so there has been a lot of updates on it,must update it actually as i have not had time to.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,671 Posts
Geez Dan. There is a lot of timber there. I've started reading your thread on the arborist forum. It will take a while. At least you have the right vehicle for the job.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Cheers skegbudley,

As the saying goes working with timber will warm you 4 or 5 times before you start to burn it :p

We have been clearing out that place for the last four years and havn't even made a dent in the place,was an inherited farm for a young man who is in the process of cleaning it all up,so he got me in,on that thread shows a few massive over 100ft tall spruce trees which were a nice bit of work in to cut them up given the location and limited access to them.

As you will spot on my first pics there are no roads,i clear my way in with machines and the rest is up to good old miss ann patrol herself to make her way in,HAH trust me you should see some of the places the old girl goes,I'm heading there today and the place is saturated.

I only run on A/T tyres,Imagine a lift kit on her and full mudds...... But unfortunately i need practicality too for all the road driving i have to do so A/T is as good as it gets for us here.

We are mainly copicing here as it's all hardwood/ash no softwood thank god. Hardwood are seriously regeneratable,Some of the first trees i cut 4 years ago are almost back already lol.. Fine tall shoots now.Given the wet irish climate and now hotter summers we have been getting the rate of re-growth is enormus.

Have to hand it to the old patrol though,serious torque offroad and never let me down.

-Dan

·
Registered
nissan
155 Posts
Hi Dan,

Great to hear that your Patrol is running strong, with only normal repairs and maintenance.
Hope that you get many more miles and smiles from your Patrol.

Cheers,
B&B

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Dan,

Great to hear that your Patrol is running strong, with only normal repairs and maintenance.
Hope that you get many more miles and smiles from your Patrol.

Cheers,
B&B

Thanks ;)

Hopefully.. So far it has been a super super vehicle,It has itself paid for over and over so no complaints here.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Nice work. If it's still going strong and reliably keep it, I say.

What kind of saw were you using in that first few shots ? Looked like a reasonable size.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah,that's for sure why change something that's going good.

The two saws i use are Husqvarna 365sp 24"bar & chain & a 445xtorque

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Decided to share this post with you lads as a warning to CHECK brake pipes regularly well at least every now and then for corrosion especially if you do regular offroad stuff in muddy conditions like me as it causes a lot of brake pipe corrosion.

Well me and my family (nicola and my son madyson) were very lucky we wern't killed,i was taking him to school this morning,(week ago now)it was very lucky i decided to go on this paticular day because nicola somtimes takes the patrol depending on what's going on with the car at home,anyway,we left for the short drive and driving down hill country road i met a van who was ignoring the fact that he was taking up the whole damn road!!!

So i had to obviously try to react and brake fast but nothing at all,so i had to react and mount the ditch and as soon as i did there was a drop of a few hundread feet down in to a forested glen,when i mounted the ditch there was a drain which i hit very hard,but the good old patrol bounced out of it and i held it.... THANK GOD...... :(

So between avoiding the van and the long drop in to the glen all been assisted by my hot cup of scalding tea all over my legs,it all worked out ok......

Please check your brake lines,mine burst going in to the rear valve over the rear axle.

spent the day reparing it mysef,was a nightmare to get the fitting off the damn thing....

Good brakes now though.You know the most annoying part was this is the second time this happened in the last two years!
Last time it was a rear pipe also near the caliper,you can't ever tell when they are going to go,i have a good mind to replace the damn lot of them.

'SIGH' We are just glad to be alive and to have avoided any incident,i'm just so glad it wasn't nicola on her own ......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And after the incident we were back to work again and the patrol was checked over and repairs made to the brakes.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 126 Posts