Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu iv
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys chasing a wistle from the turbo so far ive done the following mods but still cant hear the turbo spooling

4" stainless snorkel
Custom stainless airbox
Stainless right to the turbo
2 n half inch custon turbo inlet
3" straight through exhaust
Tillex kit running 25psi

Only thing is i have a new stock filter
Ive run out of ideas guys all i can hear is air sucking in

Maybe a different turbo???
And budget turbos i can fit??

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Maybe change the paper filter to a kn filter
Shouldn't make any difference, but if he dials in more boost than he can use then that may help. The downside is the flutter can eventually destroy a std turbo.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Im running 25psi, im sure thats well over standard boot
Hmmm! 25psi, is that a std turbo? what mods allow you to get to 25psi without limp at the MAFv/Rev confines? You don't mention anythings about remap or MAFv mods..

·
Registered
nissan gu iv
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats the setup up top, standard turbo, at 110 she sit on 10-15psi, water on 80'c and foot flat to 25psi overtaking egt climbes to nearly 500 then drops when i come down to 110 again, only issue is the egr block keeps setting off the engine light so i delete it with the scan guage for now until i do the mod on the pink wire on the maf, i travel over 1000ks a month, coffs harbour to Griffith and back and no limp so far, been doing this for a while now,ive had no remap or anything but will be going on the dyno soon

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Not sure how it is allowing you to get to 25psi without ECU interference, maybe just lucky, but it is not recommended for a std turbo to go past 22psi, again luck maybe on your side, but it was established many years ago that 22psi can be run without issue.

Coming from another direction, many years ago when we first started making many mods it was found that anything over 16/16.5psi had no performance gain, because the engine just couldn't use it efficiently, this was established on dynos by a few of us, yes that was mainly DI's but the CRD isn't all that different really and the turbo is the same as later DI's, as we made mods to allow better breathing we could up it gradually, 16psi to 18psi then 20psi and then 22psi.

Boost is not the be all and end all, how you utilise it is, indeed I can run 30psi on my bigger turbo and on the dyno I can see a difference but out on the road 30 over 25 wasn't spectacular by any means, I dropped it to 25psi and in driveability I can't feel any benefit.

My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
nissan gu iv
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just must be lucky with the setup mate, i can sit on 110 on around 13-15psi and put the the foot down she spools up to 25psi fast and overtake cars with ease pulling the whole time then backing off after overtaking, im planning on a dyno run soon as im definitely using more fuel then before all the mods but so far ive done well over 10k in highway travel without an issue, no high egts and water temps dont exceed 80'c,

As owning a few gu patrols the only guage on the dash i trust is the fuel guage(touch wood) i have a guage for everything else, i have 6 guages all up and are a lot more accurate then the standard dash cluster

·
Registered
nissan gu iv
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive owned skylines and supras most of my life until i started a family, now its all camping and adventure with the partner and kids, just really miss having a whistle, i was told maybe higj flow the turbo or upgrade to a ball bearing turbo

·
Registered
27 Posts
Iv noticed over a few stages of mods ie stock to 3 inch exhaust then more boost and custom tune my crd makes more noise in general but no huge whistles or flutters. Was looking at custom airboxes and piping etc (although refuse to run a stainless snorkel i just hate the look of them) but I can't justify the money tbh when it goes so good as it is, I put it down to its just the way these motors are, they do sound good screaming on boost though albeit without huge turbo whistle!! The np300 navaras make some bloody cool turbo noises even at low rpm!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts