Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Trying to get to the bottom of an engine noise coming from my 3.0 litre patrol engine.
Car has done 45,000 kms and at 20,000 kms it developed this vibration/squeek/noise from the engine bay. Since then it has gotten increasingly noticeable and i have taken it back to nissan a total of 6 times to get it fixed, yet they still haven't figured out what it is. Ive had the following replaced:

Clips on air filter box
All exhaust components (muffler, cat converter e.t.c)
Fan belt
Fan belt tensioner
Fan belt tensioner dampener
Fan belt tensioner pivot point
Complete alternator.

The problem is opon start up, if i flutter the accelerator between 800 to 1100 rpm the engine produces this rasp/wheeze sounding rattle/vibration which is proportional to the revs. Once i hold or rev over 1100 it goes away. It happens on start up with a cold engine AND whilst driving with a warm engine (can be heard in cabin when driving sometimes) and is still there with clutch in or out.

Has anyone had any similar problems with their 3.0 litre?
Any guess as to what it could be?

I have given the nissan dealership who are looking at it a stern talking to and requested that they fix the problem or replace the engine (to which they replied good luck). Which they then prompted to blame it on one, water/mud in the engine bay (haven't done any decent 4wding in it yet), and two, a characteristic noise of the 3.0 litre common rails (as in its normal).

I mean, you buy a 50,000 dollar car with proven reliability and expect it to be trouble free for at least the warranty period? go figure.....
And im not just crying about a little squeek.... ive had dashes replaced, faded flares resprayed, seat mounts changed/altered, wheel nut indicators installed, dash squeeks fixed and oil leaks fixed!

any responses would help!

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
I mean, you buy a 50,000 dollar car with proven reliability and expect it to be trouble free for at least the warranty period? go figure.....
And im not just crying about a little squeek.... ive had dashes replaced, faded flares resprayed, seat mounts changed/altered, wheel nut indicators installed, dash squeeks fixed and oil leaks fixed!

any responses would help!
Its pretty pi$$ poor. It amazes me how a car that has relatively been unchanged for decades can still have terrible basic problems like this.

I would have a look at the turbo. Surely with a scope, they should be able to isolate the origin of the noise,

Airbox clips....WTF. Talk about picking something that is cheap to replace first up. Did they change your wiper blades as well?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHA! i reckon. they opted for new wiper blades last service! When i saw how much they were i told them where to go!

Turbo has been checked for play in the shaft and i was told that its within exceptable tolerances. I am hoping they find the source of the noise, i dont want to blow up and demand a new engine, but i will if i have to. 'The squeeky wheel gets the oil'

It seems every nissan dealership have a "replace one part at a time until we get it" kind of outlook on problems like this. tell me how is that the easiest and most cost effective way to fix my problem?

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
silver pig
Does it happen with the a/c on or off
Try climbing under your patrol just behind your left hand front wheel and following the cat up you will see number 4 (port) on you exshust manifold just besides that you will see a pipe about a inch and a half round that is your egr pipe look around and see if you can see black soot its fairly common for the egr pipe to crack and make that particular sound or if there is black soot all around number 4 on the exshust port you will have a warped manifold wich will make the same sound
good luck

·
Registered
nissan patrol Gu6
1,275 Posts
I have 08 crd and the noise you are describing sounds very similar to the noise my warped exhaust manifold was making prior to its replacement. Nissan thought it was the turbo and removed it to examine and found the exhaust manifold stuffed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts