Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

hopefully someone out there can give me some advice on my 2008 CRD ZD30 (DDTI) GU patrol.

i have recently noticed black smoke from the exhaust when taking off from the lights in first and second, once i hit third the black smoke is gone except when driving up a decent hill in third there is more black smoke untill i'm off the hill.

I have checked a couple of older threads and they all lean towards injectors/fuel/ECU. i have changed the air filter and ran some injector cleaner with no result.

i'm up in Darwin and one of the dealers up here dont have a verry good rep in the service department so i dont want to take it somewhere and have them tell me its a normal thing and have the engine explode one day after the new car warranty runs out.

If anyone has some advice or knows of anyone decent to take it into it would be appreciated.

cheers.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
recent fuel filter change??

if so reset ECU (reset fuel pressure data). not sure how they do it on the patrols. moderatly comon problem with navaras so i would expect patrol to be similar.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
recent fuel filter change??

if so reset ECU (reset fuel pressure data). not sure how they do it on the patrols. moderatly comon problem with navaras so i would expect patrol to be similar.
Disconnect the battery and leave disconnected overnight - this resets the ECU.

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

I have checked the MAF and it is clean, also disconnected the battery to reset to ECU.
after everything i've done it seems to have improved a little.

I spoke to a mechanic about it. he's has had a few patrols with similar problems and seems to think it is normal, although i have been watching other cars on the road and i'm not seeing much smoke.

I have ordered a boost and pyro guage with a double pillar mount so i will be able to monitor a bit more.

My next step it to take it to Nissan and see if they can diagnose it with the computer.

cheers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have an 08 CRD and mine does the same. Just accept it, its normal.

Have a look behind a Landcruiser V8 when it takes off next time, it does the same.

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
Mine does the same as well, but not 'every time' i'll keep an eye on this thread to see what other's have said too.

i'll also reset the ecu over night tonight and let you know how that goes on mine

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
i'm not sure that the ECU resets after disconnecting the battery on the CRD models. usually there is a procedure to follow (eg tap throttle so many times in certain length of time).

what tends to happen on some vechiles is the ecu compensates for the fuel filter clogging up (less injection pressure). but then you change the filter and you get more injection pressure which means more fuel, hence the smoke. it can take some time before the ecu learns the change.

also it could be your just running crap fuel. throw some 2 stroke oil in there :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts