Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu my08
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 cab chassis & from new has had an intermittent gearbox lock out issue with 2nd 3rd & 4th gear, I know it is associated with heat as it only happens when the vehicle is hot i.e has been driven for about 4 hours in hot weather, the ute then just does not even allow you to find the gate to get into gear & it is mostly 3rd & 4th that lock out so I have to drive with 2nd & then staright to 5th which is difficult esspecially when towing...:mad:
When I can get what feels like the initial gate to get say 3rd gear although it will not engage the gear if I pump the clutch when trying to put the gear lever into gear the gearstick bounces back & fourth but still does not engage at all, if parked up & let cool the gear shift works fine again until it gets hot...
Have been told to try redline oil in the gearbox & I am going to get some this week but thought I would put it to you guys to see if this is an issue with any other patrols at all. Nissan dont want to know about it as it is an intermittent fault I have been told to just deal with it as 90% of the time the ute is great....
Any help or ideas would be great
Thanks
GTB

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
For plushness, the patrol manual is not great but admittingly I have been spoilt with the gearboxes in cars I have had in the past. Mine use to make a definite 'grate' when grabbing 4th, especially when under heavy load and at high revs. Once or twice it wouldn't engage. With these gearboxes, I think you have to make a obvious pause when in neutral between gears and not grab it too quick (not so easy from 3rd-4th where its a big gap in the ratio's and you loose too much revs/momentum)

I have used redline shockproof lite in many cars (race, performance etc) and have it in the GU. It most certainly fixed the issue and I would be surprised if it didnt help your situation. If your's is heat related, then the oil is thinning out too much and the film thickness is inadequate.

Trick with redline is that it has a very high lead content and as such, needs changing more often than other oils as its cakes a bit and water will cause issues. 40,000ks is what the oil will work for in my experience. Another oil is elf HTX732 which I have also used a lot but is extremely pricey and hard to source.

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
ive had a simular problem with an 09 model triton . the problem with it was the clutch plate sticking onto the input shaft splines . it had mud inside bellhousing . mitsubishi couldnt find fault as it was intermittent and they said it was fine and to keep an eye on it.
the strange thing was that it would only lock out of gears when really hot. some old bushy told me to try starting it in gear a few times to "shock" it free and after doing that a few times it hasnt done it again. not the best idea and was only a quick fix but its done the trick so far

1 - 3 of 3 Posts