Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

441 - 460 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
Pretty sure it will if OBD2 compatible, put MAF and MAP(use relative/gauged psi if this suit you better than absolute pressure) on the same screen (also load % and RPM along side).
I don’t think it does. Or at least, it’s buried in some very obscure xgauge coding and no one on this forum (or any others) seems to have found it. A real shame but I think I’ll have to sell it and get an ultragauge just to be able to tune these valves... the drama never ends

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,215 Posts
@jackbyo
Buy and elm3 bluetooth unit and the torque pro app mate.
I'm using the torque app at the moment and it has basically all the same stuff as my ultra guage

Reactions: jackbyo

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
@jackbyo
Buy and elm3 bluetooth unit and the torque pro app mate.
I'm using the torque app at the moment and it has basically all the same stuff as my ultra guage
The more I look, the less I understand how anyone with a CRD is monitoring MAF voltage while driving? It appears for the Di crowd it works simply with an ECUTalk

For CRD/OBD, the bluetooth units and the ultragauge only display grams/second, and I can't find any kind of conversion factor to volts/5 either...

I was under the impression that tuning to MAF voltage was ideal with these multi needle setups?

Sorry for the thread spam. Going nuts trying to make this bloody zd30 drivable.

·
Registered
04 GUIII ZD30 Manual
117 Posts
@jackbyo
Sorry can't help here mate. Will have to leave this one for the CRD boys

In my opinion though I would rather tune to grams/second than volts as it would have to be more accurate right??

·
Registered
04 GUIII ZD30 Manual
117 Posts
@jackbyo
Plus with your highly modified intake the MAF V wouldn't be all that accurate

Reactions: jackbyo

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
@jackbyo
Sorry can't help here mate. Will have to leave this one for the CRD boys

In my opinion though I would rather tune to grams/second than volts as it would have to be more accurate right??
Yeah would be happy to attempt to tune to grams/second but compared to the volt graph below I don't know what a good start or end point would be.

RPM MAF VALUE
1003 RPM 2,3934507 V
1503 RPM 2,9104263 V
2072 RPM 3,6049685 V
2526 RPM 4,1732563 V
3010 RPM 4,4575650 V
3257 RPM 4,4974873 V
would like to fine tune to some objective numbers rather than seat-of-the-pants.

Also any and all MAF reading info on this forum seems to be in voltage not g/s

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,215 Posts
Yeah would be happy to attempt to tune to grams/second but compared to the volt graph below I don't know what a good start or end point would be.

would like to fine tune to some objective numbers rather than seat-of-the-pants.

Also any and all MAF reading info on this forum seems to be in voltage not g/s
I think whatever you use, it is just a guide. Anyone with using a maf housing other than oem will not have accurate data, but the idea is the same. The bigger the number the more air going in.

Once you start logging, you will be able to compare differences in airflow as you make modifications too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guys, in Australia where is the best place to purchase Needle Valves?
I’m thinking of going down this route after I can afford a remap.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,129 Posts
Guys, in Australia where is the best place to purchase Needle Valves?
I’m thinking of going down this route after I can afford a remap.

Tim

Tim, no reason why you can not set up manual boost control before remap. Good idea to get it working before the remap anyway. Beneficial to have scan tool if U do not have one already.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry guys, I’ve got manual set up already. Set up the old single Dawes and needle on the car about ‘09’ so would only require an extra needle valve or two if I do go down this route.

Tim

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sorry guys, I’ve got manual set up already. Set up the old single Dawes and needle on the car about ‘09’ so would only require an extra needle valve or two if I do go down this route.

Tim

Ok buy 2 x tillix needles and if your dawes is not 3barracing(latest design), pm @geeyoutoo as he may be able to help you out with the latest dawes spring.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,855 Posts
Ok buy 2 x tillix needles and if your dawes is not 3barracing(latest design), pm @geeyoutoo as he may be able to help you out with the latest dawes spring.
Yes still got a few left over.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok thank you. I just got a new spring from Geeyoutwo a couple of weeks ago because mine had become weak over time.

Tim

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,037 Posts
The more I look, the less I understand how anyone with a CRD is monitoring MAF voltage while driving? It appears for the Di crowd it works simply with an ECUTalk

For CRD/OBD, the bluetooth units and the ultragauge only display grams/second, and I can't find any kind of conversion factor to volts/5 either...

I was under the impression that tuning to MAF voltage was ideal with these multi needle setups?

Sorry for the thread spam. Going nuts trying to make this bloody zd30 drivable.
I'd also like to know.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
@Marko_SJ To get some CRD MAF data (volts against flow rate) for @Phdv61, I located signal; wire behind MAF plug and hooked up a multimeter inside cab.

Personally rather read MAF rate (g/s) as range is between nom 0-250g/s as compared to 0-4.5V, and what ever units you use provides comparative data against a set baseline. So personnel choice.
Phil, located the CRD MAF "signal wire" was the Yellow w/Green stripe.
After identifying relevant wire, came in from behind MAF socket and gentle slid a small safety pin in under the shrink band of the insulated wire and made contact with the core conductor (no physical damage and taped down pin in place).

Used multimeter placed adjacent to onboard UltraGauge (EM Plus).
Readings with veh stationary G/Box in neutral _ eng at running temp.

Actuals observed:
MAF (volts) / MAF RATE (g/s) / RPM
1.8/17/750(idle)
2.5/35/1450
3.0/60/2250
3.5/96/2950
3.75/120/3330
4.0/148/4000
4.1/160/4330
4.2/172/4000

Had to accelerate up at a faster rate to obtain the 4.2v / MAF rate.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
I'd also like to know.
From what I have gathered, scangauge will only get you grams/second. Here is the xgauge code from another thread. The modification to that code for voltage did nothing for me, but the first one appears to display MAF as g/s perfectly fine

Have you tried the Engine Mass Air Flow (Grams/Sec) code:

TXD: 07DF0110
RXF: 04418510
RXD: 2810
MTH: 0001000A0000
NAM: MAF

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
I'm making my best attempt at a scientific(ish) test with as few variables as possible.

So I got MAF display working, cable tied my scangauge under my boost/EGT gauge and bought a "gorillapod" to hang my phone off the grab handle.

Result is pretty good actually. Displays Boost/EGT on the redarc gauge, scangauge shows boost, RPM, MAF(g/s) and Load. Can still just see the speedo and importantly signs/landmarks on the highway during video

So I did two test runs today with a long steady straight uphill (first big hill northbound on the M1 from Wahroonga/Sydney)

On both test runs, I set my cruise control at 110kmh before approaching a long, straight and gradual hill on the highway.

First test was traditional "2-stage" tillix + needle.
Tillix capped max boost at 22.1psi, needle wound all the way in for most aggressive spool up
  • Max MAF was 158, engine load 99% by the time I hit EGTs of 500
  • The MAF and Load did not change as I continued to ascend the hill at 110kmh. Hit 550 and eventually 600 by top of hill
Second test was tillix + two needles, same as what I believe @Bidja @04series3GU and @trev zd30 are running. (Same as the tillix + three needle setup in diagram below, but using tillix thread leak instead of "boost needle 1")
Tillix I did not adjust, and max boost stayed almost the same at 21.7psi
I followed the instructions on this post for setting up the two needles (with help from Bidja thanks)
  • Max MAF was 152, engine load 99% by the time I hit EGTs of 500
  • Hit 550 and 600 EGT slightly earlier than first test
  • Cruising boost at 80kmh was 12psi (improvement), but 110kmh was still high (18-19psi)
So I haven't yet seen an improvement over traditional tillix+needle other than mild decrease in cruising boost.
In fact there was a decrease in peak MAF value on second run compared to first.
I understand there's lots of tweaking to be done, but I'm still getting my head around what to try next. I feel like my MAF values at high load are overall pretty low, but understand my numbers won't be the same as others.

I have a remapped CRD with 4" snorkel/airbox, 3" intake pipe/MAF housing, 2.5" turbo inlet, stock turbo, 3" exhaust

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,215 Posts
Cruising boost at 80kmh was 12psi (improvement), but 110kmh was still high (18-19psi)
This is still my issue too but I've got my cruise boost at 100 down to 14-15psi

So I haven't yet seen an improvement over traditional tillix+needle other than mild decrease in cruising boost.
In fact there was a decrease in peak MAF value on second run compared to first.
This setup should improve response in lower revs as it opens the vnt vanes earlier to reduce EMP. I'm noticing very little difference in the logging I'm doing at full throttle above 2000(ish rpm)

I understand there's lots of tweaking to be done, but I'm still getting my head around what to try next. I feel like my MAF values at high load are overall pretty low, but understand my numbers won't be the same as others.
I agree your maf values are a little low but remember your intake is a bit bigger than std, so numbers will appear lower.

Reactions: Phdv61

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
This setup should improve response in lower revs as it opens the vnt vanes earlier to reduce EMP. I'm noticing very little difference in the logging I'm doing at full throttle above 2000(ish rpm)
Yes it does feel good down low. Similar to classic tillix+needle. Definitely much stronger than tillix+vacsol

I agree your maf values are a little low but remember your intake is a bit bigger than std, so numbers will appear lower.
I was a little more concerned that my MAF values actually dropped when changing from tillix+needle to the new setup

441 - 460 of 497 Posts