Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

481 - 497 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,129 Posts
@jackbyo For running Tillix + 3 needle arrangement (without needle 1 downstream of Tillix).

No need mate to set needles with compressed air source .

As stated:
1. Set Tilliix @ max boost say around 20 psi _ to set this close boost needle 2 and set spool needle so lever just touches vane limit stop screw @ idle. Do as conventional manual boost control.

2. After happy with max boost, just open needle 2 a small amount say 1/2 turn off seat and go for a drive and from there just change needle 2 incrementally and observe MAF/MAP at different RPMs and EGTs. Trial and error to find sweet spot for your eng set ups.

Work either side of needle 2 baseline set point and identify the change trend and home in best settings. Try for max MAF, as an idea try for say MAF rate 50-60 g/sec at 1500rpm say 80-90% eng load 4th gear and the adjust spool needle for early response. Needle 2 adjustment will influence eg: spool, cruise boost, EGT.

Remember may need to adjust Tillix for max boost and spool needle relative to vane limit stop

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,215 Posts
I also found a tillix will more closely reflect what you set with the pump when used on the vehicle. The dawes seems to need to be set quite a bit higher with the pump than what's achieved on vehicle

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
@jackbyo For running Tillix + 3 needle arrangement (without needle 1 downstream of Tillix).

No need mate to set needles with compressed air source .

As stated:
1. Set Tilliix @ max boost say around 20 psi _ to set this close boost needle 2 and set spool needle so lever just touches vane limit stop screw @ idle. Do as conventional manual boost control.

2. After happy with max boost, just open needle 2 a small amount say 1/2 turn off seat and go for a drive and from there just change needle 2 incrementally and observe MAF/MAP at different RPMs and EGTs. Trial and error to find sweet spot for your eng set ups.

Work either side of needle 2 baseline set point and identify the change trend and home in best settings. Try for max MAF, as an idea try for say MAF rate 50-60 g/sec at 1500rpm say 80-90% eng load 4th gear and the adjust spool needle for early response. Needle 2 adjustment will influence eg: spool, cruise boost, EGT.

Remember may need to adjust Tillix for max boost and spool needle relative to vane limit stop
thanks mate. The more times I read the instruction the more it clicks.
But to be clear, at this point I should also be resetting my spool needle so the actuator is just barely at the top of its stroke after each adjustment I make with the boost needle (needle 2), in order to limit variables.

And may need to adjust Tillix for max boost as required if not reaching correct peak boost after above changes

sound right?

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,215 Posts
So do you just pump until you hear the hiss from the Tillix/needle and then check the gauge?
Watch the guage as you pump. You shouldn't need to pump too hard. Mine has a definite point where it breaks open and dumps the air, though it leaks a bit just before it breaks open.

You still may have to adjust it a bit on your vehicle

Reactions: jackbyo

·
Registered
Nissan patrol y61 3000 2007 3doors
122 Posts
Nothing will show you more than putting a gopro or similar under bonnet to watch the actuator in real life driving.
I have a 2 din car radio with mirror link ...so I was thinking to put under the bonnet an old smartphone to see what the actuator does...the only issue is the too short cable...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
thanks mate. The more times I read the instruction the more it clicks.
But to be clear, at this point I should also be resetting my spool needle so the actuator is just barely at the top of its stroke after each adjustment I make with the boost needle (needle 2), in order to limit variables.

And may need to adjust Tillix for max boost as required if not reaching correct peak boost after above changes

sound right?
Yep that is it and all will become easier as you learn.

Must say I have stopped recording my MAF/MAP runs a week ago (will recheck down the track), doing adjustment now for drivability _ but I observe the output on the fly with on board UltraGauge EM Plus.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
Yep that is it and all will become easier as you learn.

Must say I have stopped recording my MAF/MAP runs a week ago (will recheck down the track), doing adjustment now for drivability _ but I observe the output on the fly with on board UltraGauge EM Plus.
Thanks.

I did several runs today. I did the baseline of boost needle closed, spool needle set for actuator to only just touch stopper. Then opened boost needle to several different levels (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full open etc) Each time I also reset spool needle to have actuator just touching stopper again.

Set up my camera at gauges again and did runs of 110kmh on a flat highway leading to a 90kmh zone of a fairly steep hill (M4 Penrith area going into blue mountains). All done with cruise control to eliminate variables.

I can't say my results are fantastic, but it's a slight improvement over vacsol or traditional tillix+needle.

The only time I was able to get my 110kmh flat boost level under 16psi, my EGTs skyrocketed on the hillclimb. MAF and boost were both lower on these runs. I can't say I ever noticed a time when my MAF was able to rest higher than the boost when compared to traditional setup. So far from my testing on the hill, MAF and boost seem almost linear measurements.

Was definitely interesting to see just how drastic EGT is affected by a 1/2 turn on the boost needle. At one point I had cruising boost of 11.5psi at 110kmh, MAF only 85 and EGTs sitting at 500 on flat. I didn't even bother with the hill at that setting, knowing my EGTs would skyrocket to dangerous levels.

At this point I'm settled with my 110kmh flat crusing boost at about 16.5-17psi, with the hillclimb test returning the same MAF values and EGT results as traditional tillix+needle (with most aggressive spool).

I feel exhausted lol

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,037 Posts
Thanks.

I did several runs today. I did the baseline of boost needle closed, spool needle set for actuator to only just touch stopper. Then opened boost needle to several different levels (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full open etc) Each time I also reset spool needle to have actuator just touching stopper again.

Set up my camera at gauges again and did runs of 110kmh on a flat highway leading to a 90kmh zone of a fairly steep hill (M4 Penrith area going into blue mountains). All done with cruise control to eliminate variables.

I can't say my results are fantastic, but it's a slight improvement over vacsol or traditional tillix+needle.

The only time I was able to get my 110kmh flat boost level under 16psi, my EGTs skyrocketed on the hillclimb. MAF and boost were both lower on these runs. I can't say I ever noticed a time when my MAF was able to rest higher than the boost when compared to traditional setup. So far from my testing on the hill, MAF and boost seem almost linear measurements.

Was definitely interesting to see just how drastic EGT is affected by a 1/2 turn on the boost needle. At one point I had cruising boost of 11.5psi at 110kmh, MAF only 85 and EGTs sitting at 500 on flat. I didn't even bother with the hill at that setting, knowing my EGTs would skyrocket to dangerous levels.

At this point I'm settled with my 110kmh flat crusing boost at about 16.5-17psi, with the hillclimb test returning the same MAF values and EGT results as traditional tillix+needle (with most aggressive spool).

I feel exhausted lol
Who did your remap?

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,215 Posts
Thanks.

I feel exhausted lol
Mate I feel your pain.
I think you have it right, we just need to find a way to bring down cruise boost (purely for better fuel consumption).
That's were I've come to anyway......

Edit: I'm thinking of trying this setup with a second tillix/dawes on the boost needle line (I have two now, just need the time to try it)

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
Who did your remap?
ECPT, who if I'm being honest I have lost some faith in. Not that I think there was anything necessarily wrong with my remap, but I have questioned a lot of their rationale since Harley left. I don't want to be too disparaging of a small business publicly, but am happy to discuss in private if anyone cares to ask.

In any case, the fact that I have a remap is an extra unknown set of variables in the equation. Still good as it means I can test any arrangement and have never run into limp

I think you have it right, we just need to find a way to bring down cruise boost (purely for better fuel consumption).
Yeah that was probably the biggest "wow" moment for me when I switched back to tillix+vacsol. My boost being so much lower also had a really positive impact on my cruising boost and speeds under 100kmh. But the tillix+vacsol(+remap) was useless when it came to highway.

On my last test run, I reset the scangauge trip monitor which returned a fuel usage of 11.2lph for the 56km trip home, combined 110kmh highways, 80kmh tunnels and stop/start city traffic. Too soon to judge but definitely positive.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Is this with needle 2 set at 1/2 turn off the seat and how did it compare against 1/4 turn off seat?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
OK so what arrangement and settings were you running ?
(with most aggressive spool)

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
Is this with needle 2 set at 1/2 turn off the seat and how did it compare against 1/4 turn off seat?
no that particular high EGT run was with needle 2 much further off seat. I think maybe 1.5 turns total.

OK so what arrangement and settings were you running ?
my final satisfactory run was needle 2 just 1/2 turn off seat (your baseline recommendation actually)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
my final satisfactory run was needle 2 just 1/2 turn off seat (your baseline recommendation actually)
OK what are the results then:
MAF/MAP behaviour(General observations)?
Spool up/response?
Cruise boost(100kph / 50-60% eng load)?
EGTs (cruise/hauling solid)?

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
OK what are the results then:
MAF/MAP behaviour(General observations)?
Spool up/response?
Cruise boost(100kph / 50-60% eng load)?
EGTs (cruise/hauling solid)?
Ok so keep in mind I am making comparisons only to my own test runs which had two parts yesterday

1. Flat highway 110kmh zone
2. Long hill climb 90kmh zone
Both with cruise control locked exactly on the speed limit (per speedo) in 5th gear (manual). No inputs on pedals

Max boost about 21psi, although didn't hit peak during test runs
Spool/response still felt good, although I haven't got a good way to test this other than the bum dyno (mine isn't particularly accurate)

On hill climb saw tied best EGT of the day, same as traditional tillix+needle. Measured by landmark exactly where I hit 550 alarm. MAF was at 115

Cruising at 110kmh on flat had MAFs of 145, boost at 16.8-17.5, engine load about 45%, EGTs 300 or below
Cruising at 100kmh I didnt have camera recording unfortunately, but my boost was around 15psi. Can't recall other numbers but favourable.

For reference, with traditional tillix+needle at 100kmh I had cruising boost of 21psi (max set by tillix).

So overall I feel I have retained the lower EGT benefits of traditional tillix+needle. I also have lower cruising boost, especially when sitting at 100 instead of 110kmh. This is definitely positive for me, as on the last trip (tillix+vacsol) I really struggled with EGTs alarming all the time

For reference, tillix+vacsol had 100kmh cruising boost of 13.5-14psi. This was before I found how to setup MAF gauge. I wouldn't return to tillix+vacsol

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Spool/response still felt good, although I haven't got a good way to test this other than the bum dyno (mine isn't particularly accurate)
(y)

Cruising at 110kmh on flat had MAFs of 145, boost at 16.8-17.5, engine load about 45%, EGTs 300 or below
Cruising at 100kmh I didnt have camera recording unfortunately, but my boost was around 15psi. Can't recall other numbers but favourable.
Compared to running traditional tillix+needle you have improvement cruise _ this is good, one of my goals was to at least obtain same EGTs as Tillix @ max spool_no needle (I have slight improvement hauling over my own traditional tillix+needle/setup). This is reason why I ran an elec solenoid valve on boost side of needle 2 so I could compare actual results back to back on the fly (with and without needle 2 influence) and also gives me opportunity to close vanes further if required. Must say I am not doing that either now much. Later think about a Throttle Control Unit so to adjust TPS signal to ECU(CRD are drive by wire_IMO great result for different drive conditions). Not for you just yet.

You have got it close would recon_very good.

Try closing needle 2 very small amount say 0.45 off seat watch EGT and then compare by opening spool needle so lever just comes off stop (say 1mm)_note though my lever is just touching stop.

481 - 497 of 497 Posts