Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

I have ben looking to bring the old girl into the 21st century and update the stereo.
I want Android Auto and offline mapping in one easy solution.

I've come across a couple of options.

Option 1 is the Polaris Maxx

Option 2 is a no name unit with better specs and incredibly similar looking package for about 200 dollars less

I'm leaning towards option 2 with installation of Ozi Explorer and Hema Maps

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,560 Posts
Think carefully about this type of unit. Since the screen is bigger than a Double-DIN slot, the screen obviously sits outside the slot, which means it’s going to obstruct something else in the dash.

Also, I can’t see this being very ergonomic in either a GU or a GQ because of the low standard position of the audio unit. Having the screen poke out an inch in front of the dash isn’t going to help either.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the Polaris Maxx and really like it. The large screen combined with the ability to adjust the angle means it is always clearly visible even in bright sunshine. I got the Hema and offline maps included, so I can run apple play apps when in phone range, or street maps or Hema when out of phone coverage or off-road. Yes the screen sits out from the dash, but this doesn't impact anything really - I can still get to all the required controls, and the big screen is excellent, particularly when using the Hema maps. The only down side is I think the sd card needs to be sent back to Polaris for updates if needed, but I haven't really looked into this yet. I've had a number of 6.2" in dash units and none of them were very good in bright sunlight because of the angle (I have a series 3 GU) and the small screen was next to useless for Hema maps. Overall, I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Polaris stuff seems to have been sponsored by several YT around, that's the only place I've seen it. But I presume it's decent.

I would strongly suggest you check out a brand called "joying" Chinese but they've been around for several years, take on board customer feedback when developing models. Actually provide customers with support (videos on YT people having small issues and they've fixed it). My mate got one of their units for his BMW e46 and we both have Pioneer units in our other cars. He said he's thinking to swap it out given how fast it loads (cold boot), functionality and all the extras bluetooth OBD etc.

·
Registered
2012, Nissan Patrol Y61 SWB, TB48DE
46 Posts
Recently the style/design of this screen has caught my interest, it's a good mix of large screen and physical controls.
Not sure about specs but definitely looks good, obstructs the upper storage cubby slightly but no biggie.

Product Output device Communication Device Plant Portable communications device

·
Registered
Nissan
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the Polaris Maxx and really like it. The large screen combined with the ability to adjust the angle means it is always clearly visible even in bright sunshine. I got the Hema and offline maps included, so I can run apple play apps when in phone range, or street maps or Hema when out of phone coverage or off-road. Yes the screen sits out from the dash, but this doesn't impact anything really - I can still get to all the required controls, and the big screen is excellent, particularly when using the Hema maps. The only down side is I think the sd card needs to be sent back to Polaris for updates if needed, but I haven't really looked into this yet. I've had a number of 6.2" in dash units and none of them were very good in bright sunlight because of the angle (I have a series 3 GU) and the small screen was next to useless for Hema maps. Overall, I'm very happy with it.
Everyone that I've seen with the Polaris is happy with it. Especially offroad

·
Registered
Nissan
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Polaris stuff seems to have been sponsored by several YT around, that's the only place I've seen it. But I presume it's decent.

I would strongly suggest you check out a brand called "joying" Chinese but they've been around for several years, take on board customer feedback when developing models. Actually provide customers with support (videos on YT people having small issues and they've fixed it). My mate got one of their units for his BMW e46 and we both have Pioneer units in our other cars. He said he's thinking to swap it out given how fast it loads (cold boot), functionality and all the extras bluetooth OBD etc.
I have seen these and Atoto?? I think it's spelt. They look like good units as well. I'll check them out again

Link to Atoto

·
Registered
Nissan
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hmmmm, they look good. But the buttons are on the wrong side for Aus. I.e. we need the "hole" on the right side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Recently the style/design of this screen has caught my interest, it's a good mix of large screen and physical controls.
Not sure about specs but definitely looks good, obstructs the upper storage cubby slightly but no biggie.

View attachment 542863

Looks is one thing, but functionality is more my concern. Check out Joying, only negative is physical volume control. But we have steering wheel control's anyways.

·
Registered
NISSAN Patrol N-TEC 2016
74 Posts
One thing I could say about all this is recently I was looking for a replacement head unit for my 2016 Y61 Gu and was recommended the universal LUXX from Polaris and not sure what else to look at purchased and installed, but then had atrocious troubles with it crashing and taking long time to load up.
So as I said before did not know what to purchase but wanted backup so to a trip to Polaris to see the Tech ( I fortunately only live 10km away) after him spending 2 hours reloading everything now works fantastic so my advice is not everything comes out of the box and works so aftersales backup is a consideration!

·
Registered
Nissan
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One thing I could say about all this is recently I was looking for a replacement head unit for my 2016 Y61 Gu and was recommended the universal LUXX from Polaris and not sure what else to look at purchased and installed, but then had atrocious troubles with it crashing and taking long time to load up.
So as I said before did not know what to purchase but wanted backup so to a trip to Polaris to see the Tech ( I fortunately only live 10km away) after him spending 2 hours reloading everything now works fantastic so my advice is not everything comes out of the box and works so aftersales backup is a consideration!
That's awesome support!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’m running a joying 10” unit .
Exploroz for off road maps , hema was crap and OSMAND for free is better .
On road I use Waze or google maps .
Has android auto/ Apple CarPlay.
Didn’t like the joying interface so use Nova launcher which is much nicer.
Can pretty much customise to suit what you want
Plant Automotive navigation system Map Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Nissan
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m running a joying 10” unit .
Exploroz for off road maps , hema was crap and OSMAND for free is better .
On road I use Waze or google maps .
Has android auto/ Apple CarPlay.
Didn’t like the joying interface so use Nova launcher which is much nicer.
Can pretty much customise to suit what you want
View attachment 542923
How do you find the joying? They are more of a fixed position screen? How do you find it offroad?

·
Registered
Nissan
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
63 Posts
How do you find the joying? They are more of a fixed position screen? How do you find it offroad?
So far so good , fixed screen but screen size and no issues with viewing angle.
Off-road works great with ExplorOz traveller , the screen clips into the body with 4 decent clips so doesn’t shake .
I’ve mounted the gps antenna outside and in heavy timber still get really good signal.
I wouldn’t go any larger screen mounted in this position.
I didn’t like the joying interface/launcher so use Nova launcher which I like the feel of.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far so good , fixed screen but screen size and no issues with viewing angle.
Off-road works great with ExplorOz traveller , the screen clips into the body with 4 decent clips so doesn’t shake .
I’ve mounted the gps antenna outside and in heavy timber still get really good signal.
I wouldn’t go any larger screen mounted in this position.
I didn’t like the joying interface/launcher so use Nova launcher which I like the feel of.
Thanks for the feedback. That's the beauty of android. You can change to what you like

1 - 20 of 25 Posts