Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly looking at getting a 20 12 which has factory lockers in it, are they any good, does it replace the lsd in the rear? The switch looks like it is only on or off, how does this affect steering in tight corners?
Overall, what are people's opinions?

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan patrol gr
920 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Firstly it only has one locker, in the rear.

Yes it replaces the LSD. The LSD is incompatible with electronic stability control which was made mandatory in passenger vehicles a few years ago.

Locked is locked, i think it'd be just as reliable as an ARB/TJM.

Offroad the locker is better, when it is engaged. The downside is that you need to remember to engage it, whereas an LSD you just forget about.

On road you won't notice much of a difference between the two. In carparks/ tight turns a locker will handle better. The main advantage of an LSD would be occasions on road when you can't operate the locker. On some steep hill starts or turning into traffic in wet weather an LSD can help traction, which is partly why a lot of RWD cars have an LSD (eg. commodores) - they arent just for hectic burnouts.

·
Registered
nissan
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PhysicalGraffiti: Thanks very much for this, I am stoked that I asked the question as I had thought that it meant front and rear - means it looks like I can start looking at 2011s as well - cheaper and more bits on them :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
A big downside is that it can't be engaged unless your in 4wd low. Considering the mighty Patrol struggles to spin wheels anyway, you will notice a better drivability day to day, unless it's gravel or wet (maybe uphill). People that I know that have a newer Patrol with the ESC have better fuel economy. I do fail to see why ESC and an LSD couldn't be compatible in a Patrol considering it's done in Commodores ��

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
A big downside is that it can't be engaged unless your in 4wd low.
Are you serious, How does Nissan manage to come up with this madness... why oh why do they think that we would not use it in High range 4x4... I would be finding that switch and bypassing it...

Patrolit

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are you serious, How does Nissan manage to come up with this madness... why oh why do they think that we would not use it in High range 4x4... I would be finding that switch and bypassing it...

Patrolit
I was driving a company car offroad and thought I might engage it in high. A light on dash kept flashing, I could only stop it from flashing whe I engaged low. So I asked a mate that just bought one and he confirmed it. Your thoughts were the same as mine :rolleyes:

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
I was driving a company car offroad and thought I might engage it in high. A light on dash kept flashing, I could only stop it from flashing whe I engaged low. So I asked a mate that just bought one and he confirmed it. Your thoughts were the same as mine :rolleyes:
Sorry but after an hour or 2 since my last reply I am still gobsmacked... Just spent a fortnight on Fraser... limited slip and high range, you go most places... I wonder how far you get high range single spinner....

Heck often I run 2 wheel drive, when I should really be considering 4. And I put it down to good LSD and tyre pressure.

I am sorry but the person who designed that at Nissan should be jammed in the rear diff housing and made to hold the 2 axles so they drive together, when the little green led comes on that I install for him to know when to grab the axles.... :bananaro:

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Its to do with the dynamic stability control crap I would say. Its the reason the lsd is not used it needs an open diff on the highway thats all I got.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
If someone locked the locker and then travelled at high speeds handling would be severely compromised.

Most ********s in workplaces can't fathom the operation of manual hubs, let alone a locker.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are you sure about that? Mine definitely works in 4 Hi & 4 Lo
Absolutely, a little orange light flashed till it was in low.

Maybe Nissan Australia specified different to UAE. Then it maybe possible to disable it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Yep vehicle stability control is not compatible with LSD in Nissan's and other brands. To get around not having LSD some brands fit diff locks and some use traction control systems. In the case of the Hilux some overs reckon the traction control systems are an improvement over the Toyota LSDs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts