Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4.8 Petrol GU under the bonnet and I need to find a 12v supply switched by the ignition.
It's for the Split charger. Where's the easiest/best place to tap into?

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? The book says to use the wiper motor feed but does that mean cutting into the loom?

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,988 Posts
that's right. the wiper motor feed switched by the IGN...

either run a wire from the wiper motor through a relay coil or directly power it from the wiper motor circuit. I would use a relay

·
Registered
nissan
196 Posts
^^ x2 use relay so you get a decent feed.

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
how much amps does the split charger use
if its under 2 amps don't really need a relay

there is also ign near the fusebox near the battery in most patrols
ign power for reverse lights

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The unit is a Piranha DBE180s that needs an ignition switched supply. I don't think a relay is nessesary.
I'm hoping to find that reversing lights pickup. What about the charge light from the alternator? Would that work also?

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
No
Charge light has the light wire a battery feed wire

Just go down to gbox and find reverse switch if its manual
One of the wires will have ign when u turn key to ign
Then find this wire in the 3 or 4 chunky plugs in fusebox up near battery
White and red colours ring a bell

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Reading your various threads in the past Streaky this is new car for you yes? In the future you'll probably want more ignition feeds, so I would suggest solder a wire in to the wiper power line (or whatever you choose), use that as a relay trigger and using decent sized cable run the output to a fuse box under the dash, then for future use you have a few more ign power supplies all seperately fused and in the one place.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Reading your various threads in the past Streaky this is new car for you yes? In the future you'll probably want more ignition feeds, so I would suggest solder a wire in to the wiper power line (or whatever you choose), use that as a relay trigger and using decent sized cable run the output to a fuse box under the dash, then for future use you have a few more ign power supplies all seperately fused and in the one place.
Good advice!

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for the pointers. Yes, I'm new to Nissans having been a Land Rover Addict for the past 20 years.
I was able to tap into the wiper motor loom.... very easy actually!
I've run a cable to a distribution box for live feeds, next is to do the same for an ignition switched supply per mr L's advice.

Something that confused me today when installing the solar regulator..... is there a reason why I can't just use the 12v distribution point as the battery feed for the regulator? Afterall, the cables all go back to the same auxillery battery anyway!

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
No problem at all, that's exactly what I've done.

An 8 way fuse block down the back - one to solar and one to ctek 240v charger.

A fuse doesn't care which way power is going :)

Reactions: Streaky
1 - 11 of 11 Posts