Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering which is best size to go running 33" maxxis bighorns, also taking into account ill be getting 35's for next set of tyres.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Just wondering which is best size to go running 33" maxxis bighorns, also taking into account ill be getting 35's for next set of tyres.
There is another thread running at the moment that will answer all your needs (I won't spoil the suprise).
You will need to decide on the width of tyre you want too.

·
Registered
nissan
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's 15inch rim they only make one width in bighorns with the 33's and 35's thats 12.5inch

·
i like it dirty
nissan patrol
1,325 Posts
I asked the question long time ago,

and got this simple answer

15x10s for 35s

15x8s for 33.

and ive stuck by that since then( i hope it not wrong) :S

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts

15x10s for 35s

15x8s for 33.

its not the height of the tyre its the width. so thats totally wrong.
you wouldnt put a 35x9.5x15 on a 15x10 ever.
same as you wouldnt put a 33x15.5x15 on a 15x8

YMMV

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts

15x10s for 35s

15x8s for 33.

15x10 on 12.5 inch wide tyre looks cool but they are useless offroad when you air down.
15x8 on 12.5 inch wide tyre work well offroad when aired down.

15x10 are perfect for tyres 13.5 - 15.5 inches wide, these will work well when aired down.

·
Registered
nissan
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ended up going with some 15x8 Sunraiser's with cruiser offset which is -24 i think, but yer the width of tyre dosnt changed from 33 too 35.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
i had 35x12.5x15 cooper stts and MT baja claws on 15x10 rims ran 5-8psi on the beach and never popped em off the bead
:/

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
277 Posts
i had 35x12.5x15 cooper stts and MT baja claws on 15x10 rims ran 5-8psi on the beach and never popped em off the bead
You must be one of very few.

I have 315x75xR16's.
I'm looking at getting knew rims. 16x10's is what I want but the general consensus on this forum is that 8' wide rims are better offroad as they are less likely to pop the bead.

I have posed this same question on another forum yet most replies indicated that popping beads on a 10' rim happened no more often than on an 8' rim.

After searching all the threads on this topic on this forum over the years, the favour of the 8' rim against the 10' is overwhelming. So much so that it now has me leaning in favour of getting the 8' rim.
I also noticed that sim79 features prominently in favour of the 8' rim in nearly all threads. (conspiracy?????:))

Anyone else out there running 10' rims with no bead breaking issues???

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Wow thats surprising as I have seen and had too refit multiple 10s that popped off at around 20psi.

I am fan of how the 10s look and almost bought a set until I went on 4x4 trip and seen first hand how useless they are offroad. Everyone with 8s had no issues and everyone with 10s had popped beads or slow leaks.

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Wow thats surprising as I have seen and had too refit multiple 10s that popped off at around 20psi.

I am fan of how the 10s look and almost bought a set until I went on 4x4 trip and seen first hand how useless they are offroad. Everyone with 8s had no issues and everyone with 10s had popped beads or slow leaks.
popping a bead has nothing to do with rim size.
It's has to do with driving skills, cornering speed and tire gripp.
And some tires are a tighter fit around the beat than others.
Also rimprotectors are a cause of leaks at the bead due to entrapment of sand and mud.

said so, I would choose for the 15x8 rim.
on a 8 inch wide rim you can mount up to 14 inch wide tires without problems.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

ah well my old rims are gone.. have picked up another set..
will keep yas posted on how that go

oh yeh the rims tyres i was taking about were on an MQ 380hp 308 driven as a pure offroad toy..
only trouble i had was the tires going out of balance when you flogged it :cool:

·
Registered
nissan
20 Posts
people dont realize, that with 10" rims, you need not to air down as much to get the same coverage of rubber on the ground as you would with a 8" rim. . .

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,708 Posts
people dont realize, that with 10" rims, you need not to air down as much to get the same coverage of rubber on the ground as you would with a 8" rim. . .

Hehe.

Footprint grows front to back, not side to side:rolleyes:

10" rims are good for **** all but looks on a 12.5" wide tyre

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
10" rims are also great at putting a s##t load more load on your wheel bearings! lol
While I agree with you ( I've fallen for the 10rim crap back in the day ) I think it needs a little clarification .

Offset is what will smash wheel bearings . 10" Rim with nutral offset is no differant that an 8" of nutral offset .

most people refer to 8" with -22 or -11mm or something like that . if you have a 10" Rim that is also -11mm or -22mm it's the same load . most 10" Rims will be -44mm or something rediculas . so all the extra width is outside of the CL of the flange face . ie more load on the wheel bearing's kingpins ect .

its all about the back spacing . But like others have all said . 10" is to big .
last wheel I brought where 17x9" with -6mm . and they're great .

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2004 gu iv
8 Posts
I've run 16x8 with 33 MTZ for about 8 years, never had a drama & found it to be perfect compromise between onroad handling & offroad performance..

Regularly drop em down to 6psi when towing the camper up calcup !!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
I see its an old thread and I was under the impression 15" rims were all but dead. Many manufactures don't cater to that market any more, the trend from the US is bigger is better, even 16" is dwindling.

As for 8" or 10" wide, I have a set about 25 years old of 15x10 and only use them as road rims, they do have a 13.5 wide tyre on them and years ago when I did use them out bush they never gave me any grief. And yes the off set is not extreme.

Personally believe 8" wide rim is perfect for my needs, they air down well and loosing a bead is not a problem with beadlocks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts