Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a fairly beat up old '81 MQ that has three different types of wheels on it. three are 15" and one original 16". Obviously something needs to change. I live in the Amazon basin of Peru and am trying to get this rig up to more usable and reliable condition for us to go to town etc.

My question is if anyone knows whether new stock steel Nissan frontier or Toyota Hilux wheels will fit a fairly stock old MQ (KL160). I tried a Hilux wheel on the front today that a friend has and it fit ok with the hub hole ground out a little, but it only had 205 16 tires on it and the tire was a centimeter away from touching the strut mount. I am looking at buying a set of INSA Turbo Dakar M/T's to help us pass the road to town when it's flooded. What most of you do for fun is just a trip to town here in the rainy season. Anyway, the offset of the Hilux wheel looks too far inward to me. Anyone have experience? I know someone with Frontier rims for sale, but really need some answers before I spend the money. Things can be difficult to get here.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
nissan
281 Posts
Just some quick thoughts. In general Toyota rims fit Nissan with a little opening up of the hole as you describe, but Nissan don't fit Toyota. The reason is that Nissan rims have a -ve offset so they foul the Toyota brakes. Conversely if you fit Toyota rims they will have +ve offset which increases your track - which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I played around with various rims a few years ago to fit my various tyre sets and did some measurements which I recorded below. They might help you.

David

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's great! I'll take a closer look at this. Thanks! We are hoping to get this up and usable soon, right now we don't feel safe going to town after dark and yesterday was the first day in over a month that there wasn't water over the road (red clay road), we'd had up to a meter in a couple places for a few weeks. Boats only.

Blessings!

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts