Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, want some better cooling capabilities when low speed driving in my TB42ET patrol.

Currently has a nice alloy PWR radiator, but found that really slow labouring brings the temps up. For reference, I was going slow on a track and found that it was warming up - so I used 4L and just that difference in engine speed cooled the car back to where it should be.

I have been looking at the davies craig 16" thermo kit, would pull the clutch fan out, and install the thermofan.

I would retain the shroud, and if there are any gaps I have a fiberglassing mate to 'seal' the fan on the shroud.

Would this be a viable solution to keeping temps in check while going slow? Also I want to keep the factory shroud and do not want to use falcon thermos! lol

Thanks in advance.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i would be looking at spal fans over davis craig

and all you can do is try it , personaly i think you might be pushing it with one 16 inch fan , it wouldnt pull half the air a clutch fan can draw, and you might get overheating issues

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

I would fix the problem rather than fit electric fans. I had a bad experience with a Davies-Craig set, and would never buy another. Working properly the original fan will move a lot more at at higher engine revs. Electric may be good in colder areas, given you can disable them for water crossings but if electric were better in a 4wd they would be factory fitted like cars.

My view B M

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not a problem as such, its a turbo petrol, with a massive PWR radiator, to me that pretty high end cooling right there. Done a full coolant flush, new thermostat, and running 50% glycol mix with a new radiator cap as well.

Just want more airflow when idling and slow track driving.

I can remember talking to the previous owner who was running twin thermos, and he said they binned them as it was running too 'cold' so maybe that may be the case to run twin thermos again like it was previously.

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Hey all, want some better cooling capabilities when low speed driving in my TB42ET patrol.

Currently has a nice alloy PWR radiator, but found that really slow labouring brings the temps up. For reference, I was going slow on a track and found that it was warming up - so I used 4L and just that difference in engine speed cooled the car back to where it should be.

I have been looking at the davies craig 16" thermo kit, would pull the clutch fan out, and install the thermofan.

I would retain the shroud, and if there are any gaps I have a fiberglassing mate to 'seal' the fan on the shroud.

Would this be a viable solution to keeping temps in check while going slow? Also I want to keep the factory shroud and do not want to use falcon thermos! lol

Thanks in advance.
It has been mentioned here before, if you are going by the factory gauge, and say it's going to half, or 3/4, it's not really hot, only 2,4 or 6 degrees hotter than when it read 1/4.

Most of your problem (if there is one) could be answered in your following observation;
"so I used 4L and just that difference in engine speed cooled the car back to where it should be."
Laboring a motor unnecessarily will cause it to run hotter than normal.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Hi,

I would fix the problem rather than fit electric fans. I had a bad experience with a Davies-Craig set, and would never buy another. Working properly the original fan will move a lot more at at higher engine revs. Electric may be good in colder areas, given you can disable them for water crossings but if electric were better in a 4wd they would be factory fitted like cars.

My view B M
Alot of modern 4wds are going this way, fyi, and they don't have too many major problems (apart from water/mud/dust killing the electric fans).

So I reckon give it a go! There's nothing stopping you from having both fan options (apart from space I think).

Only issue is that old engines like the TB and TD do not run as efficiently as modern engines and when they get hot they do not dissipate their heat well.

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
as much as you dont wanna do it falcon thermos do a fairly good job. and have been somewhat proven. as they pull a fair bit of air. where as a single 16" fan will never pull the same amount of air as what was there.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
Depending on the size of the radiator , twin 14 inch spal fans or a 16 inch and a 12 inch spal fan should fit, and im not sure how it could run too cool ? , as with a thermostat fitted it should run at the minimum temp that the thermostat opens at least ,
plus you would have the fans turning on and off via a temperature switch

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah taken all in, thanks. I should actually get another autometer guage with the temp readout so i can see variations in real world figures. I couldnt understand why he said it ran too cool either, the thermostat will control water around the engine... but anyway.

If there is only a few degrees variation in that then i am probably worrying over nothing.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
YOM,
Yes many new cars are goin electric fans factory
But theres no way in hell youd get a clutch fan in an AU Ford engine bay
So maybe they go this way for,
1. Restricted engine bays
2. More engine power (less drag on the engine,albeit the alternator has to work harder)

Neesmo,
If its low speed cooling maybe go a fixed fan,although they rob power at highway speeds and are very inefficient,it mite keep it cooler at high revs,low speed,low air flow
Just a thought

·
Registered
846 Posts
Are you still running the factory ECU? If so, have a look at the ECUTalk display. That will tell you coolant temperature as well as a whole lot of other things like timing, fault codes etc.

I have no connection with them except as a very happy customer.
ECUTalk - Consult LCD Display

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Running a stand alone Haltech E6K.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts