Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulling my hair out over what 265/70/17s to buy. I want a good touring tyre so looking at AT's. The pricing is all the same give or take $10 a tyre so its getting to the point of having to rely on the marketing! Will be going on a GU wagon.

So far FCII's are in the lead at $395 each. Also in the $385 to $405 bracket are

BFG AT's
Kelly Safari TSR
Cooper ATR and ST and ST/C
MT ATZ 4 and 5 rib
Goodyear silent armour

Stuffed it I know what to get. There isn't a great saving to be had buying one of these over another so its getting hard to pick one. Any suggestions?

Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would ditch the 17" and get some 16" steelie, you will get the rim and tyre combo for about $400 per wheel. Next time you change tyre, you will start saving and have more choices. 17" tyre is still hard to get in remote area.

If you must, I had BFG AT on my last pajero and they are good. Other than that MT ATZ 4 rib and Cooper ST are good too.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
So far FCII's are in the lead at $395 each
There isn't a great saving to be had buying one of these over another so its getting hard to pick one
So only price is important??

As said get 16inch rims and save.. or get 15inch rims and save even more - there were some tyres on ebay for $165ea new.

Out of what you have listed ATZ or FC2

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So only price is important??
No, what I meant was that out of the commonly reccommended AT's that I listed, I can't seperate them on price. They are all $400 +- $15 (I want to keep the factory 17"s).

Out of what you have listed ATZ or FC2
That is my conclusion based on load rating, ply and marketing. The FCII is more commonly available here according to the places I have rung hence they are currently my preference. Do you have other reasons for suggesting them?

Cheers
Craig

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Do you have other reasons for suggesting them?
I have FC's on my trailer and they look much better in life than on the interweb.. Mate on here pres of a club in SA ran em for yonks without issue. said to me they were what I was after.. also a great deal I got :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Always plenty of advice (and emotion) with tyre recomendations. I had ATZ 4 ribs on my 17" alloys but they started cracking radially like a retread would. I got them swapped for FC-II's in 285's and so far they have been great it terms of how the seem to work and their wear. Done ~25,000km on them so far. The ATZ's started falling apart at 17,000km.

From what you hear around both are good tyres. The ATZ's were probably a dodgey batch.

A lot of cars go up rims sizes to fit larger brakes. Is that the case with the later model Patrol's or do nissan do it just to give you the $hits when it comes to tyre choice. Like others have said if you go to 16's or 15's the world is your oyster and tyres are alot cheaper.

·
Part of the furniture around here
19,131 Posts
I recently replaced my 265/70 R17 MT ATZ five rib tyres that have done 50,000km, because I just didn't like the way they were performing. They would have definitely gotten 80,000km as claimed, but mainly because they were becoming rock hard. I've replaced them with Bridgestone 275/65 R17 D694 ATs and they are great. There's only a small difference in overall diameter (Bridgstones being about 5mm smaller), but they just handle a lot better. And at $282 per tyre, they are heaps cheaper than the MTs.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recently replaced my 265/70 R17 MT ATZ five rib tyres that have done 50,000km, because I just didn't like the way they were performing. They would have definitely gotten 80,000km as claimed, but mainly because they were becoming rock hard. I've replaced them with Bridgestone 275/65 R17 D694 ATs and they are great. There's only a small difference in overall diameter (Bridgstones being about 5mm smaller), but they just handle a lot better. And at $282 per tyre, they are heaps cheaper than the MTs.

Cheers

Ray
Did they start getting slippery under brakes, squeal when cornering etc as they got older/harder or other things?

·
Registered
547 Posts
i have a set of bridgestone 285/75/16 694's at the moment as well and i find them to be increadably good all rounders not good at all in absolute bog (obviously) but as a touring tire they are the best i have had on so far and for the price i cant complain at all. mate of mine did 75,000 on his last set and they were still going strong just changed them out due to going on a long trip and preffered new tires to old ones.

as for the 17" wheels i think (dont hold me to this) it was to make more room to clear the larger brakes on the 4.8 petrol but you can fit 16's with out a problem at all...

·
Registered
177 Posts
i would go th BFG AT's, but go a 15 or 16 if going to remote areas, 17's will be harder and more $$ to replace. Save the 17 till your back home.

·
Part of the furniture around here
19,131 Posts
Did they start getting slippery under brakes, squeal when cornering etc as they got older/harder or other things?
They'd lost most of what wet weather grip they had when new and with the rain we'd been having, I wasn't happy. In the dry they still held on reasonably well and there was no noise as long as the air pressure was kept up (around 35 or so).

Cheers

Ray

1 - 12 of 12 Posts