Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
41 - 60 of 143 Posts

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Loving the build up so far, so much attention to detail!!!!

You going to add anymore today? I keep refreshing but no more new posts!! :(
heh, sorry bud, that is as far as I am with the build right now. In the coming weeks and months I will post lot's more pictures and info on the resto. Two years going so far, going to take more to finish it up.

Big fan of all your builds.

Do still have the portal patrol?
Thanks. More or less yes I still got it. It is not the truck it was as I sold the easy bits to sell. It has been sitting for awhile now. I will be using some other stuff from it (axles) in another build. I just don't really need a trailer queen in my life and that is what the Portal Patrol was.

Thanks to whomever made this thread a sticky, I feel honored!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,023 Posts
Thanks to whomever made this thread a sticky, I feel honored!

Cheers
No worries Ian. Some decisions are so easy they just about make themselves :)

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Thanks. More or less yes I still got it. It is not the truck it was as I sold the easy bits to sell. It has been sitting for awhile now. I will be using some other stuff from it (axles) in another build. I just don't really need a trailer queen in my life and that is what the Portal Patrol was.
I had forgotten, your landcruiser build project . Is that finished?
Got a link to that build?

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,417 Posts
Incredible work mate. The detail that you have gone to is amazing.
I'm a fan of the old 60 series Patrols. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

I find it very interesting how many little things changed over the life of the 60 series, please keep posting up the small changes.

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I had forgotten, your landcruiser build project . Is that finished?
Got a link to that build?
No not even started it yet. I had a lot of bits to buy, got the NV4500 transmission and Atlas t-case last summer. I am down to steering box, clutch and suspension and I am ready to build it. I will post a link when the time is right.

Incredible work mate. The detail that you have gone to is amazing.
I'm a fan of the old 60 series Patrols. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

I find it very interesting how many little things changed over the life of the 60 series, please keep posting up the small changes.
Thanks! Let's be honest, the old Patrol is not going to be the best off-road and can't be modified much if trying to use stock component. They are not all that great on the HWY these days or for long trips. Not that you can't use them for that but a MQ/MK/GQ/GU is much better. What the G60 Patrols have the others don't is HUGE amounts of charm and fun. They are great fun to drive around town or in the country. Great for the back roads. Just all around fun trucks and actually perform pretty well at slower speeds or on dirt tracks. Easy and fun to work on too. Built really well and meant to last a lifetime, which I think shows in this build.

In my opinion the 1950's Patrols were crude and not much of a step up from a WW2 Jeep. Nissan changed them a lot in the 50's with a lot of models. One of which, the 4W66 only ran for 6 months and is one of the shortest runs of any Nissan vehicle ever made! By 1960 and the release of the 60-series they had defined the truck more. New engine, new trans (although odd that the 1950's Patrols had a 4spd and the G60 a 3spd), new t-case and just a complete re-design of the trucks. However, even seen today, when a new model comes out it might take a few years for them to iron out all of the details/issues and get it up to par. They also tend to re-define the manufacturing process. From 1960 to 1970 this happened a lot with the Patrol as I have shown a bit in the thread. Things like the half doors, hand prime on the fuel pump and set up for rear PTO were discontinued. They even changed the door handles and latch mechanism three times in the 1960's! By 1970 most changes had been made and most issues worked out. A lot less changes made in the 1970's but there were a few. You guys first got the Patrol in 1963 in Aus. but the 1960's ones seem to be a lot rarer for you than the 1970's G60s. Since all we got here in the states is the 1960's ones we see a lot of the changes on our trucks.

Cheers

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
So I uploaded some more pictures to fill in the gaps.

This is stuff we had chromed.

The fuel tank before resto

A big stash of glass parts, really hard to come by this stuff.

Most Patrols had a single horn, this Patrol came with dual horns!

These are really cool and very good condition. What is really cool is you can adjust the sound of one of them via the rubber plug on the left and an adjusting screw inside it.

The knuckle ball after I polished them up.

Brake shoes after removing old pads and sand blasting

Painted and ready for new pads

Brake shoe and e-brake band after new pads. On the e-brake band I used NOS pads.

Cheers

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,417 Posts
Thanks! Let's be honest, the old Patrol is not going to be the best off-road and can't be modified much if trying to use stock component. They are not all that great on the HWY these days or for long trips. Not that you can't use them for that but a MQ/MK/GQ/GU is much better. What the G60 Patrols have the others don't is HUGE amounts of charm and fun. They are great fun to drive around town or in the country. Great for the back roads. Just all around fun trucks and actually perform pretty well at slower speeds or on dirt tracks. Easy and fun to work on too. Built really well and meant to last a lifetime, which I think shows in this build.

In my opinion the 1950's Patrols were crude and not much of a step up from a WW2 Jeep. Nissan changed them a lot in the 50's with a lot of models. One of which, the 4W66 only ran for 6 months and is one of the shortest runs of any Nissan vehicle ever made! By 1960 and the release of the 60-series they had defined the truck more. New engine, new trans (although odd that the 1950's Patrols had a 4spd and the G60 a 3spd), new t-case and just a complete re-design of the trucks. However, even seen today, when a new model comes out it might take a few years for them to iron out all of the details/issues and get it up to par. They also tend to re-define the manufacturing process. From 1960 to 1970 this happened a lot with the Patrol as I have shown a bit in the thread. Things like the half doors, hand prime on the fuel pump and set up for rear PTO were discontinued. They even changed the door handles and latch mechanism three times in the 1960's! By 1970 most changes had been made and most issues worked out. A lot less changes made in the 1970's but there were a few. You guys first got the Patrol in 1963 in Aus. but the 1960's ones seem to be a lot rarer for you than the 1970's G60s. Since all we got here in the states is the 1960's ones we see a lot of the changes on our trucks.

Cheers
I don't think anyone could expect an old G60 to be the best car off road, or on the highway because the design of the model is over 50 years old, and cars have come a long way in that time. But that doesn't matter, because as you say, they are fun and have a whole heap of character. Hell, even my old MK has a lot more character than any new car (and it still sucks on the highway!) If/when I get my way and I get an old 60 series it wouldn't be a car used every day or on long trips, but it'd still go off road and get driven around. It's designed to do so and I see no point in having one sitting around if I can't use it!
I've not had a whole lot of experience with them, but like many older cars its evident that they were built to last which unfortunately is not a quality that is often displayed in modern cars.

From my reading on the history of Patrols I did notice that there were quite a few models produced between 1950 and 1960. In a way the 60 series broke the mold by being around for 20+ years albeit with many changes in that time. I like the idea of the half doors! I haven't seen them before but they are very cool!
I could never understand the logic behind Nissan going back to a 3 speed after using a 4 speed in the 1950's models, maybe the 3 speed was stronger, or the 4 speed didn't accept PTO? Just speculating there.
And I have noticed that are very few 1960's Patrol's in Australia, the vast majority are mid-late 70's models. I saw one advertised as a 1964 model, but it looked to me like a model from sometime in the 70's as it had both parkers and indicators in the fender, and 3 windscreen wipers. As far as I know these were both changes sometime in the 1970's.

Reactions: Squalo

·
Premium Member
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,023 Posts
Great info James.

At least one of our members who owns a late Patrol has invested in a G60 recently, and I am super interested myself... for all of the above reasons. I still have the 1969 Kombi that I bought in 1988, mainly because it is so fun to drive! so I fully understand that aspect of G60 ownership.

For the next few years most of my trips are going to be to Fraser Island and/or Teewah Beach, so a G60 would actually do the job for me. Especially if it is a soft top... I am more than happy to rough it on the 2 hour trip between my place and the Fraser barge. On the island it simply doesn't matter :)

I do want a GQ though, for more serious travel, and for play days with the forum clowns (you know who you are).

I can't own both because I intend to register two motorcycles this year, and the budget has to have a limit somewhere.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,417 Posts
RMP&O is the man with all the good info mate. Doubt there's many out there that know more than him.

If you're debating between a G60 and a GQ, the MQ is the logical option.... Its the one in the middle, and still leafy with a removable roof, like a 60 but with some of the comfort features of the GQ... Like power steering... on some variants. Haha. In all seriousness, a G60 would do what you require and it's be quite a sight too! Not too many getting around any more. And the P engine has heaps of torque down low!

Reactions: Squalo

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
A G61 is the best! ;)

MQ/MK P40 engine and 4spd trans and t-case and axles. C200 front axle and H233 rear unless light duty than it is a C200 rear. What this means is you have the old school body of the G60 with MQ/MK drivetrain. The G61 though has drum brakes up front, no power steering and a 4spd trans. However, disc brakes bolt on the MQ/MK C200 front axle (may need knuckles from an MQ/MK), power steering is bolt up but you may have to use MQ/MK box as I don't think the G61 box is tapped for the lines. An MQ/MK 5spd bolts up tot he P40 if you modify trans mounts. ARB air lockers for MQ/MK work no probs. Gears for the axles from MQ/MK work too. You could even swap in an SD33T!

So hands down a G61 is the best 60-series Patrol Nissan ever made!

Cheers

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So I ran into some dramas with the steering box. For going on a year now I have been trying to find the seal. It is NLA at Nissan, they don't even show it in their system. Nothing at my local auto parts store, no cross reference numbers, nothing. Last summer I went to a bearing supply house, we put calipers on the seal and I bought the closest match I could find. Well I am just about to rebuild the steering box so I tried test fitting the seal. Won't work, it is just a touch to large. On top of this the seal I fund is single lip while stock it is a double lip seal.

So as a last ditch resort before I have to get some machining to the steering box done in order to fit a seal we have here in the USA I contact my good friend in Colombia, South America. Sure enough OEM seal available down there and it only costs $6!!

All I can say is man having resources like this when doing a restoration are invaluable! You guys may have this seal in Aus. but it is completely NLA in N. America.

Cheers

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Wow absolutely amazing! You sure have a talent!
Thanks a bunch!

I am sure I mentioned it earlier in the thread but the 64 Patrol was torn down over 10yrs ago. All the original hardware was bagged and tagged. However, a fair amount of it is busted, to rusty or lost. I have parted out at least 5 or 6 Patrols in the last 10yrs. The hardware from those trucks got tossed in small containers or in my big huge nut & bolt stash, ya know that big bucket full of mixed up hardware. I really had no idea how much I had. I dug through most if not all of my stash of hardware. Most of this is for the body on the truck. The original hardware has "dp" stamped on the head of it. So it is kind of important to try and use it on the body.

Here is the stash I found.

The big piles on the right are what I really need. That is the majority of body hardware. Actually more than one trucks worth is my guess. The rest of it is items I need to bag and tag for the owner of this truck and any future needs he may have. I am not sure if this hardware will get plated or painted. However, it was needed. On the far right bottom you can see what is a unique locking washer. They have tabs on the outside of them. I really needed about 4 of these for the new Warn hubs. They are the original locking washers for the hubs and I was short 4 of them.

Cheers

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
So I have been ready to mount up the manifolds for a while now, see previous pics when I painted them up. However, there is a pesky little alignment sleeve on two of the intake manifolds. All I had was one sample that was trashed from the machine shop. So I made new ones out of stainless steel.

Crappy cell phone pics but here we go!

They came out real nice.

And fit perfectly into the manifolds.

Manifolds are on for good now! Lot's more going on, more pictures to come!

Cheers

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
This doesn't have to do with the 64 but I thought I would share it none the less, it is just to awesome not to!

This is a 1967 Nissan Patrol WLG60. The "W" is for wagon, "L" for left hand drive and the "G" means built on the MWB chassis. Out of about 1/2 dozen body types/wheelbases of the 60-series Patrol this is the only one that has a unique body. Think of it as your FJ45LV. I guess the same applies though to the pick ups. Any ways, this truck hails from Alaska. It showed up on craigslist a few years back and then a year later a second time. I know the guy who bought it and know where it now lives. This is the only one of these known to exist in N. America and I am pretty confident this truck was originally sold in Alaska, not an import. I have been into Patrols over 20yrs and I have only ever heard of 4-5 wagons in existence. I only know for sure of one or two others. I have actually found more 1950's Patrols than wagons! It is that rare!! For a Patrol enthusiast this truck is more than the holy grail.

The truck is a little rough but looks savable. I am told the floor boards are not that rusty, mostly that is pine chips in there from squirrels living in the truck. It is virtually untouched and not raped, even still has the original snap in vinyl floor mats! Many other unobtainium unique to this model items are also present, ie tire carrier inside truck, all interior panels and door handles/window handles, most of the seats, rad support with provisions for the triple chrome strips and more. It looks to have lived a fairly rough life up north but has survived! Very exciting to see for a guy like me.

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
A few more.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,023 Posts
Very cool, thanks for the history lesson - I love this sort of stuff.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,417 Posts
Wow, that's the first MWB wagon I've ever seen!
The only other one that I know of (I think I learned of it from your old site) was a LWB, 4 door wagon in South America... Colombia maybe? From what I remember it was used as a vehicle to transport nuns.

The wiper setup is interesting, I've not seen a model where the wipers rest in that position on a 60 Patrol before. I also find the build plate interesting, I thought the 145hp motors came about in the early 70's? Just yesterday I saw a '75 model advertised over here with a 130hp motor, which sturck me as odd also.
Do you have any plans to buy or restore this truck Ian? Being such a rare car it would be worth saving it, and from the pictures it needs a bit of rust work but looks to be salvageable.

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Ya the wagon you mention a buddy of mine took pictures of it in Colombia, South America. It is silver. I do not believe that truck to be a factory wagon. Rather, a custom built body in Colombia. I could be wrong but to me it just doesn't look like a body made by Nissan. It is also a 3-door, with one door on drivers side and two on passenger side. It was indeed used by nuns at a church for many years though and as such I call it the Nun Patrol.

One of the only other wagons I know of is featured in a Dutch magazine article. At least I think it is Dutch. I have the article (digital images), perhaps I will post it. I kind of recall a guy in Sweden saying he knows of one at a Nissan Dealership in pristine original condition. I have never heard of one being in Australia but it is fully possible. I have seen some very rare Patrols in Aus such as the long bed pickup and Deluxe hardtop, models only available in 1979. I have one picture (not sure what country it is from) that shows a 4-door wagon. It is exactly the same as the one pictured above but it is an LWB and a 4-door. It is the only picture I have ever seen of one and the 4-door LWB is not listed in any parts books. A special order perhaps. Any way you cut it though there is not many of these WG60's anywhere in the world.

The 60-series Patrol engine hp ranged from 125-145 during the 20yrs run of the trucks. I think Nissan changed the compression a little over the years and smog equipment also effected it in the 70s. Toque is usually 235ft lbs but I also recall 245ft lbs. 7-main bearing crank inline-6, like most inline-6's.

I know who owns the truck, the possibility of it getting restored is very good. That is all I can say about it at this time.

Cheers

41 - 60 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.