Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I spent some time separating all the plated parts. A few items I even stuck in their final resting place. Amazing to me how these 50yr old parts came back to life. To me this is what restoring is all about! I am sure I have said it before but much of this hardware gets painted body color. Nissan however plated most if not all of these parts before paint. Something I didn't fully know until these items got sand blasted. While blasting you could see the plating under the paint. Our point in doing the plating is so if/when items get chipped they don't bleed rust. Probably the same reason Nissan plated it all.

old vs re-newed, seat slider lever

not bad for a 50yr old ashtray!

Cheers

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #102

Cheers

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Only a matter of time till the phone call from Nishi-ku, asking to buy this old girl for their museum :)

Reactions: RMP&O

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
So working through my punch list to finalize the 64 chassis now that everything came back from the platers.

NOS detent balls and zinc plated springs. In front of my hand is the cap bolts which I had zinc/yellow chromate plated. This if for t-case shifters, restored to like new condition and it works like brand new!

Just about finalized with the trans & t-case

50yr old trans dipstick restored

fully restored e-brake, works like brand new! Brand new Spicer u-joints went into the driveline, spec'ed for a dana44, I modified them slightly to fit. New felt slip joint seal also went into both drivelines, custom made by myself. :)

:)

Cheers

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Bit of info on this one...

Early (pre-66) oil filter housings base did not have a check valve built into them. This particular housing base is from a later model Patrol P engine due to this. Without the check valve the oil drains back down into the sump and every time you start it, it is a dry start. This was an obvious oversight/design flaw by Nissan early on in the G60's By 1966 it had been re-designed. As such we felt it critical to use the later style oil filter base with the check valve. Yet, to keep it authentic for the early year of the truck we went for retaining the early style oil filter housing and center rod. It is slightly different then the later style. The oil filter housings are made from pot metal/alloy and I think I will remove this one, polish it up with the wire brush and clear coat to finish it off. As you see it the housing base it simply sand blasted and is in raw form. I had the pin and guts for the oil filter housing zinc plated to re-new the parts. I plan on having the stock sticker found on the housing replicated to finish it off. Little details that I feel make all the difference in a restoration like this.

In addition to this we upgraded the t-case nose cone and speedo pinion drive gear and flange in the t-case. Early Patrols (pre-1966) came with a very sub-standard pinion on the speedo and it was set up in front of the t-case (before free wheeling hubs) plus was a "crush" sleeve design which honestly plain sucked. By 1966 Nissan had re-designed this to correct the crappy design, a major improvement being a splined gear for the pinion which rides behind the 4wd drive flange in the t-case nose cone. Uh-ya, f/w hubs are no probs now! Early on f/w hubs were simply not something offered so pulling the speedo pinion from the very front of the t-case worked but f/w hubs are being used on this truck so it had to be upgraded. We felt it was an important upgrade not just for the use of f/w hubs but also in the overall design of the speedo & it's pinion which obviously Nissan did too so we upgraded the t-case and speedo pinion to the post-66 style. Not 100% correct for any anal pursuists out there but upgrades we felt important and needed in this project. Bonus for use was the parts we used are suited for 7.50 tires due to speedo pinion teeth count while the trashed and worn out one we had from the 64 was for 6.00 tires. We are running 7.50's on this truck.

Cheers

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Well, starter and generator are fully rebuilt and re-furbished. Down to the last washer! :)

The before picture

and finally mounted up on the engine

I guess didn't take any pics of the generator yet. I will today. Water pump is also permanently mounted up on the engine along with it's pulley installed. Geez, that means I am just about ready to install this 50yr old NOS fan belt!

Cheers

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Simply stunning !

Thanks for taking the time to put up so many good photos and information.

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Thanks guys, here is a few more items recently rebuilt.

Cheers

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,958 Posts
Fantastic work as always!

·
Registered
nissan
338 Posts
I have this build thread going on a few forums on the internet. But ya' know I just realized if it should be on any forum it should be on this one! We are already pretty far along with the build, 2yrs so far so I will just do post what has been done so far and then add to it as I go along from here.

I have been around on the forums a long time. Here, Outerlimits, Pirate4x4 and others. I had my own Patrol forum for ten years and only recently let it go. I been into Patrols for longer, over 20yrs now. I am in the USA, we got 60-series (g60's to you guys) from 1962-1969. All we got were short wheel base soft top and hard top trucks. Total numbers sold in the USA were 2616, of that about 950 were soft tops.

I bought this 1964 Patrol in 2003 from a guy in New Mexico, I live in Wyoming, about 1,000+ miles away. I drove down and picked it up and brought it home, on a trailer. It sat for a year or so and then I got a restoration started on it. I took it to a guy who restores muscle cars. About $5k into it and I ran out of money due to some medical issues. So I yanked the truck from the resto and put it back in storage. There it sat until late 2011. During this 10+yrs I had been collecting many things for the truck, I must have parted out 5-6 Patrols and I kept all the best bits from those. I bought all kinds of NOS parts over the years too. Basically I amassed a large stash of stuff for the project. Well in 2011 I decided to let most of my trucks go and try to consolidate down to one or two trucks. At that time I had like 6 trucks from crazy built rock crawlers to parts trucks. So I sold the 64 Patrol to a guy, this included all my old 60-series Patrol stash.

It was winter time so not really the best time for the owner to get the truck from me, lot's of snow where I live. The new owner of the truck and myself began to discuss finishing the restoration. So he contracted me to do this work and the project got started in the spring of 2012. I am not doing the body work on this truck, that has been subb'ed out to a guy I know who restores cars for a living. I didn't rebuild the engine or the trans. Everything else I am doing or have already done.

In the summer of 2012 the body man took the truck from me, fitted the body to make sure everything aligned and was good to go. He then kept the body pieces and gave me back the rolling chassis. As far as I know there in no other Patrol in N. America that has been restored as completely as this truck. There has been a few resto's in the country but most if not all have been a low mileage truck that just got the body pulled off the chassis and fresh paint. I am not aware of a single Patrol in N. America that has received a full rebuild of every single component, yet that is! On top of this 40-series Land Cruisers have been selling for upwards of $100k in the USA if fully restored correctly and I wanted this truck to rival those. When we began this project though it was unknown and undecided if the restoration would go all the way to completed or if we would pass it on to the owner to finish. Well, it has pretty much turned into a full turn key restoration.

So here we go, on with the pictures!

Picking up the Patrol in Silver City, New Mexico in 2003. Supposedly Billy The Kid is buried there.

The stash of parts included many rare or impossible items along with lot's of original items in great condition.

PTO box

mint!

rare!

These Warn f/w hubs were an option on USA Patrols. These are brand new in the box, 50yr old hubs! I paid a pretty penny for these.

many NOS items for the build like this

The owner of the truck selected and bought these Michelin XZL tires in 7.50x16, an original size on Patrols.

We had a company called Alcan make us new leaf springs, with a 2" lift.

More stash I had collected over the years that went with the truck's sale.

Guess what...engine trouble in my mq 160. Know anyone in Maine? Augusta region?
Thanks,
Adam

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,958 Posts
Any updates on the old girl?

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Any updates on the old girl?
I have had a lot of other stuff going on. I picked up another project for a client. He has two Patrols and they were delivered here to my shop back in September. Since then I have torn both Patrols down to rolling chassis and have cleaned up both with a hot water pressure washer.I needed to get this done before i got back into the 64 soft top.

Soon the 64 will be happening again. it's wheels are at the sand blaster right now and after that get painted and then the new tires mounted up. Steel brake lines shall be ran soon, I had some hold up on that which I will get into more when I do the install and pics. Early Patrols had the wiring harness wrapped in grey so I have some grey tape in route, had to order it. A good harness is being stripped, cleaned up and then re-wrapped with new tape. Few other little things I need to do to the chassis and then it is back to the body shop with it. I am leaving for a one month trip in January and the 64's chassis will be at the body shop before I go, the plan is not long after I return it comes back to my shop for final assembly.

More stuff is going on like seats and new soft top made as well as all the rubber for these old Patrols being reproduced. That stuff though will get shown in time as the resto progresses.

By the way here is a couple pics of the other two Patrols I have been working on.

before cleaning

And after

Cheers

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I left last month and went on a trip on down to Baja in Mexico. A 3-week overland trip in my v8 80-series Cruiser. Right before I left the 64 Patrol went back to the body shop. The body guy is just about to paint. Next week he thinks. The tub, floor pans and firewall are being installed and painted. I will then get it back and start on assembly. Brake lines are done in the back of the chassis along with the fuel line. All new stuff, quality and we even went as far as to replicate the original rubber sheath on the steel lines. Rear wiring harness got new wrap in the correct grey colored tape. I did that before I left. Good harness that checked out great so it simply got new wrap.

Seats are nearly done, upholstery shop has new stuffings and hardware on them and they are restored. Just need to get the correct covering and they will get finished. Stock covering is very thick, 1/16" vinyl so right now they are sourcing that and then seats will be a done deal. Soft top canvas has been selected by client. That took some work to find the right grade and color. I should have his selection back to me in the next couple weeks. After this we can get the new soft top started.

New rubber parts are in production too. A Datsun guy here in the USA I have been working with is re-producing all the rubber for these old Patrols. Super stoked on that!! He already has one batch done and things are looking really nice! Can't wait to see this truck with all new rubber. It has been a monumental task to make this happen and get it done.

Sorry no pics yet but you can be sure they are coming. It is going to be one hell of a restored Patrol too! Literally a brand new 1964 Patrol soft top!

Cheers

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
All the other pictures are gone?

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
All the other pictures are gone?
They are all hosted on facebook. Not a reliable host. So ya probably gone from the thread, still on FB. As the build gets farther along I will perhaps host the pics on a different site, which should make them more reliable.

Cheers

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
They are all hosted on facebook. Not a reliable host. So ya probably gone from the thread, still on FB. As the build gets farther along I will perhaps host the pics on a different site, which should make them more reliable.

Cheers
You can host images on this site. It's a real shame we have lost these pics.
I hope we can get them back..... The build is a credit to the forum and patrols everywhere.

101 - 120 of 143 Posts