Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought another MQ.
Given I went to inspect it, and I've bought all but 1 MQ/MK I've looked at it I suppose its not all that surprising.

A bit about it:
  • 07/1980 build
  • SD33 NA, 4 spd, 448,xxx km on the odo
  • 24v electrics with, what I think, is a 24-12v converter.
  • 97.5% of the drivers seat material and cushion is missing.
  • has a cassette player and 2 whole speakers so I can smash out some 80s pop idol mix tapes.
  • Factory air con and power steer, pretty rare on a ute this early, especially since it was never wide wheel pack to my knowledge.
  • it has a glorious factory tub (reason #2 for buying it)
  • and a Thomas PTO winch (reason #1 for buying it)
  • the brakes are pretty much non existent. Dunno why.
  • the radiator has corroded through and leaks.
  • theres a battery isolator switch because it apparently has electrical issues.
  • it was originally blue, and has been reprayed twice, first blue then white.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Given the multitude of issues, and the beaten up body work, it was going to be a parts car. But I don't have another ute to drop the tub onto, so this one will hang around and the search for a parts car that I won't attempt to revive continues.
Plus its also currently the only Patrol that I own that runs. It also idles when its cold, which for an SD makes it a unicorn.

I won't be doing a nice resto on it or anything, there's way too many dents for my level of patience or skill. I'll probably end up replacing or least beating the big dents out of the doors and fenders.
I think I'll wet sand the paint back, sort of want to see it'll look like sanding it back to blue or primer in some areas.
Wheels are going to be key to this whole thing, tossing up between something like a round hole ally wheel like a Mickey Thompson Classic, and seeing if I can get some black steel smoothies with chrome caps that'll fit.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
19,819 Posts
Looks tidy mate..

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,039 Posts
Brings back memories. NA five speed. Armstrong steer and no air so your is a lux pack. This would have been 86 or 87 when I still had the time to wash my car lol. Thomas pto winch. And a swing away rear wheel carrier. The spare originally was underneath in the original cradle. The nissan dealer let the tyre down to jam it in. Found that out the hard way. It was a wide wheel pack but I took off the small flares as they were collecting to much crud - well mostly sand as it did a lot of beach work.

Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire Car

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,533 Posts
Well I bought another MQ.
Given I went to inspect it, and I've bought all but 1 MQ/MK I've looked at it I suppose its not all that surprising.

A bit about it:
  • 07/1980 build
  • SD33 NA, 4 spd, 448,xxx km on the odo
  • 24v electrics with, what I think, is a 24-12v converter.
  • 97.5% of the drivers seat material and cushion is missing.
  • has a cassette player and 2 whole speakers so I can smash out some 80s pop idol mix tapes.
  • Factory air con and power steer, pretty rare on a ute this early, especially since it was never wide wheel pack to my knowledge.
  • it has a glorious factory tub (reason #2 for buying it)
  • and a Thomas PTO winch (reason #1 for buying it)
  • the brakes are pretty much non existent. Dunno why.
  • the radiator has corroded through and leaks.
  • theres a battery isolator switch because it apparently has electrical issues.
  • it was originally blue, and has been reprayed twice, first blue then white.

View attachment 535309

View attachment 535308

Given the multitude of issues, and the beaten up body work, it was going to be a parts car. But I don't have another ute to drop the tub onto, so this one will hang around and the search for a parts car that I won't attempt to revive continues.
Plus its also currently the only Patrol that I own that runs. It also idles when its cold, which for an SD makes it a unicorn.

I won't be doing a nice resto on it or anything, there's way too many dents for my level of patience or skill. I'll probably end up replacing or least beating the big dents out of the doors and fenders.
I think I'll wet sand the paint back, sort of want to see it'll look like sanding it back to blue or primer in some areas.
Wheels are going to be key to this whole thing, tossing up between something like a round hole ally wheel like a Mickey Thompson Classic, and seeing if I can get some black steel smoothies with chrome caps that'll fit.
It just amazes me how you keep finding these gems. And IMO that one is rare, so it needs a full resto. :sneaky: I'll take the white shorty off your hands if you need to make space. :whistle:

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,628 Posts
It just amazes me how you keep finding these gems. And IMO that one is rare, so it needs a full resto. :sneaky: I'll take the white shorty off your hands if you need to make space. :whistle:
I'd be happy to appreciate the ute for him by taking it off his hands.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unreal mate. Unobtainium with the tray.

There's one rotting around the corner from me. I've tried to buy it but no Bueno.
I've found offering way too much money often works lol.
Shame its left to rot, is old mate one of those "I'll fix it up one day" sorts? Because I'm one of them, and its a downright lie lol.

Looks tidy mate..
Hopefully that's just my excellent photography skills. But it's more likely the flat paint.
Because its really bad. Both front fenders are junk, one is caved in, and one flaps around in the breeze because the mounting points are broken. Both doors are full of dents and have rust in the lower corners, and the tray has more dents than flat metal.
Not that I really care, I'll only fix stuff that I need to. Its just going to be used to get firewood and cart stuff around in something a bit different. It'll never be a show car.

Hell yeah that's awesome!!! Would kill for an mq/mk ute or shorty but in reality I know ill never find one
There's still a decent amount floating around. Finding a decent one for sale is the hard bit, most are hacked up, trashed or overpriced because some bloke thinks a rusty Datsun is the next A9X.
If you want something a bit different, a shorty is the pick of the bunch, and L28s are very very underrated in these things. Bottom end is fantastic, low compression head and tiny carby let it down though.

I'd have thought you had that out of your system by now. 🤣
I thought so too...
But the rose coloured glasses may as well be retinal implants at this stage.

@james008 ; how’s the wagon going? Is it close to getting back on the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've done nothing to it. A broken shorty, lockdown, moving house and work car with no towbar means I can't go and get it.
I have a few parts here ready to be fitted, and I've already worded up the local engine builder about it, who surprisingly has experience with SDs.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
12,171 Posts
I've found offering way too much money often works lol.
Shame its left to rot, is old mate one of those "I'll fix it up one day" sorts? Because I'm one of them, and its a downright lie lol.

Hopefully that's just my excellent photography skills. But it's more likely the flat paint.
Because its really bad. Both front fenders are junk, one is caved in, and one flaps around in the breeze because the mounting points are broken. Both doors are full of dents and have rust in the lower corners, and the tray has more dents than flat metal.
Not that I really care, I'll only fix stuff that I need to. Its just going to be used to get firewood and cart stuff around in something a bit different. It'll never be a show car.

There's still a decent amount floating around. Finding a decent one for sale is the hard bit, most are hacked up, trashed or overpriced because some bloke thinks a rusty Datsun is the next A9X.
If you want something a bit different, a shorty is the pick of the bunch, and L28s are very very underrated in these things. Bottom end is fantastic, low compression head and tiny carby let it down though.

I thought so too...
But the rose coloured glasses may as well be retinal implants at this stage.

I've done nothing to it. A broken shorty, lockdown, moving house and work car with no towbar means I can't go and get it.
I have a few parts here ready to be fitted, and I've already worded up the local engine builder about it, who surprisingly has experience with SDs.
He must be old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brings back memories. NA five speed. Armstrong steer and no air so your is a lux pack. This would have been 86 or 87 when I still had the time to wash my car lol. Thomas pto winch. And a swing away rear wheel carrier. The spare originally was underneath in the original cradle. The nissan dealer let the tyre down to jam it in. Found that out the hard way. It was a wide wheel pack but I took off the small flares as they were collecting to much crud - well mostly sand as it did a lot of beach work.

View attachment 535335
Lucky you don't still own that, I'd be relentlessly attempting to buy it.
White suits the old girls well when it's in good nick.

Not 100% on it being a deluxe model, vinyl floors, vinyl bench seat and no factory radio suggest its a pov pack which would be common for utes, I also haven't found evidence of the wide wheel pack which was the most common way to get power steer.
I'll do some digging through old brochures to see if I can figure out its options and spec..

Yeah the tub certainly makes it uncommon, I suspect many rusted out as mine is in the process of doing.
Full resto isn't on the cards, for now it'll just be preserved as is, maybe make the big dents into smaller dents, fix the loose body parts etc. And probably make it blue again.

Oh, and shortys staying. It's a pile of junk but I love it. That actually will be getting a proper resto once the wagons done.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,442 Posts
Lucky you don't still own that, I'd be relentlessly attempting to buy it.
White suits the old girls well when it's in good nick.
:)

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Back to the ute.
I had a good look over it to try and piece together a bit of history.
As I said in the original post, its been painted twice. The colour change to white is pretty obvious, but there's little signs like overspray on seals etc that suggested it's been resprayed blue.
Gave the paint a wet sand, and it so far appears to be a full respray, not just touch ups.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Paint clearly shows 2 layers of primer and colour over the original paint.
Not gonna lie... I don't hate the look of the paint half sanded.

There's a sticker in the glovebox stating it was purchased 2nd hand in 1988 with just under 200,000km on it. And a couple of windscreen stickers for S.A desert parks passes from the 90s.
That could line up with the story I was given about it's history, a couple bought it and used it to travel around Australia, then their son bought it off them and used it to travel before retiring it to a farm ute.
The bloke that I bought it off bought it a couple of years back and never did much with it. So I'd be the 4th owner.

Tyres are 2002, so its a reasonable bet it was still on the road then, fuel filter was last changed in '06 at 445,xxx km. It's now at 448,xxx, km. So it was likely pulled off the road around that time.

Based on a couple of receipts it seems to have spent some time in the suburbs as well before moving to East Gippsland where I bought it from.

As a nice little aside, I believe I've found the 'electrical issue' the little rubber pad that contacts the brake light switch to turn it off is gone, so the brake lights stay on constantly. Nice easy fix.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
7,084 Posts
In 1982 I went around Australia with the family for 6 months in this ^^^^. Well not that exact one but exact same colour shorty with the exact same decals down the door.

Gotta a proper link @GUEY

Reactions: rgren2

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,281 Posts

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
341 Posts
1 - 20 of 111 Posts