Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. hopefully yous can help me out with my patrol. i drove it about 10 minutes the other morning to drop a friend at the bus station then when i got around to the other side of the shopping centre i had no brake pedal pressure and basically no brakes. they did work abit and got me home but they dont work very much at all.

if i pump the pedal heaps of times it starts to come up with pressure but then goes down to the floor pretty much straight away.

i read a thing on here to test where you pump the pedal heaps until it goes hard then start the car and see if the pedal depresses abit. it does depress as soon as the car starts. i couldnt understand what this result meant properly wheather it means one thing or another is stuffed.

can you guys tell me whats most likely wrong and where to check for bits that may be broken.

i think i had this problem in the bush one day but not sure if it was the same thing coz it was at a water bit so might have just been wet brakes that time. they came back good as usual that time and have been working properly for few months since so dunno if this is related or not.

thanks for any help mates.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I suspect the rear brakes, to much worn drums and brakelining and the wheel cilinders start to come out.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Don't forget to bleed after checking these

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
First clean everything up
From front to rear

Get someone to pump the brake pedal
Start looking for a leak
From the front to the back,everywhere
(Have water handy just in case ya get some on you or in your eyes)

I broke a rear brake line right where it bolts into rear wheel cylinder
Took a while to find by myself,so a mate does help

Too many variables at this stage
Has it slowly got worse ???
Or has it just suddenly happened ???

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. il start checking it for leaks.

it was fine on the way to the shops then when i got to the other side of the shops there was no brakes. like one time i pushed the brakes it was all good then the next time i used them there was no brakes. didnt gradually get worse or anything.

the brake fluid holder seems to be full still but i cant remember how full exactly it was

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
The shorty here just dropped pedal pressure and it was a broken brake line

Fill the master cylinder right up,and pump the brakes a few times
If the fluid drops , yep a leak
A broken brake line will squirt fluid every where
IF ya cant find a visual leak,rip the rear drums of , could be leakin from the wheel cylinder

neRoK,
Handy tip re safety glasses
IF ya like me it takes longer to find the bloody things than do the job

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the help so far. i cant see any obvious leaks but there was fair bit of mud over everything under there. im in the process of giving it a full clean underneath so i can check it properly.

il refill the fluid holder so i can see if its losing any. good idea.

i just went around the block then and i can pump the pedal up quickly like 5 times and it gets pressure. but by the time i se if i can hold the pressure ive pretty much come to a stop.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok guys. its coming from inside the front left hand side brake calliper. any ideas whats wrong?

ps. i possibly have no brake pads left in there. couldnt tell but theres fair bit of metal filings in there. will need to clean it of all the mud and crap tomorrow and have a better look.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Take off front wheel, it may all become clear, if not remove caliper to check if seals are gone. (place bit of wood across gap where disc is normally and get someone to push pedal to check if caliper piston in leaking.) Nerok's wiki link will have relevant section from manual on removal. While you are there and have the front wheel off check front wheel bearing play and swivel hub bearing play search this forum and you will find how to check them.
Also if side is worn out the other side is about to go too, take the other wheel off and check pads and disc.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i checked it all out. the outside brake pad is totally missing.

what is that big cylinder thing in the middle of the brake setup? is the seal around that one of the seals that could be leaking?

and the boots on the i think it the pistons on the top and bottom. are they where it could be leaking? there not pressure seals i dont believe.

maybe it was just a bad pedal coz the brake pad fell out?

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Serious trouble dude!
Pads just don't fall out, you probably still have the pad backing plate just the compound is worn right down. Your disks have probably had metal to metal so will need re-surfacing.
Have a look at the exploded diagram from neroks site
http://nerok.info/general/service_manuals you can then understand how it all goes together.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for that.

il need to buy some brake discs that are within spec if anyone has some to sell. will also buy brake callipers especially if theyve had the piston seal replaced recently or anything like that.

i have put a ad in the sale section in the mk mq forums also

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I had this too a couple of times. The discs and pads are to worn and the pad falls out. Just replace the discs and pads. Check the caliper if the dust seal is still ok, otherwise replace the caliper or rebuild it (easy job).

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
is it possible it was only leaking coz of no brake pad in there and the piston was coming out too far?

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
will it possibly be sealed again if i just put new rotors and pads in?

will brake fluid wreck my new pads if i wanna just try my luck for leak if it gets on them?

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
can i use anything else to just do the piston seal? like just get a o ring from a shop that sells heaps of o rings? all the rest of the rubber boots and crap look good.

wanna try avoid spending $50 for caliper kit if i can

1 - 20 of 24 Posts