Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a few weeks back I picked myself up this project - 1985 MK LWB SD33T. I looked for one for ages in Perth but the only ones I came across in my budget had severe rust throughout their bodies. This one too has some rust, but nothing compared to the others I looked at.

I was always concerned the roof will be too far gone and still fear it might be. The rest of the body has some rust but nothing I cant cut out and weld new sections in. Now I have cut into the roof to see the hidden damage and get some opinions if its repairable.

To get a little deep and meaningful, I want and NEED a project to keep me occupied and have been set on an MK/MQ for a while. I am a Veteran recovering from various mental health injuries from my service (PTSD etc) so this project is part of my recovery process.

I am not afraid of a challenge but at the same time am fully aware sometimes things cant be repaired. Now if you are still reading, what are your thoughts on the roof? I have a mig and am fairly confident in my welding.
I considered a GQ rood swap, but they all seem to have some amount of rust these days too and I dont want to end up chasing my tail with that one down the track.

Grille Plant Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting
Gauge Speedometer Odometer Measuring instrument Auto part
Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle Steering wheel Wheel
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Window Motor vehicle Fixture Automotive exterior Shade
Wood Fixture Automotive exterior Vehicle door Window
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Fixture
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
19,388 Posts
Did they come out as a soft top? Just an idea.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
19,819 Posts
Pardon the pun but you have got your work cut out.. ;)
I recon if you are good with a welder and as you said, you are up for a challenge, just go for it ..

Reactions: tisch

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
Anything is fixable, you have to decide if its viable to fix.
To pay someone to fix it, absolutely not, to fix it yourself and sell it off, probably still no. But if you plan on keeping it a good while, the rest of the car is decent and you have the skills/tools, it can't hurt to give it a crack depending on how much time and effort you want to spend on it. Since the roof is already cut, may as well give it a crack.

Outside of the severely bad the sheet metal, the rest of an MQ/MK isn't too bad. From memory yours had a rebuilt engine? The SD turbo is a good reliable old thing as long as you don't expect big power from it, the rest of the driveline is solid and parts availability for engine and cooling service parts, seals, bearings, brakes, clutch etc etc is pretty good either through Nissan or aftermarket.

Did they come out as a soft top? Just an idea.
Funny enough, they did as a military variant. Either an open back single cab with a soft top or a fibreglass canopy similar to an shorty, or as a full soft top with a folding windscreen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately, the early Patrols, including the GQ/Mavericks, have a rust issue. Finding one without it is rare as I have found out. I just bought a shorty Maverick, low ks, stock, and a bit of rust.
Hopefully not a lot once I check it over properly. I am also looking for something to do to keep me out of the fridge and get my brain moving in the right direction. I hope you have fun, and also learn
some skills while being motivated at the same time. Keep us up to date with your progress. :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
has been a bit slow going, but all the roof frame rust has been gutted and new sheeting welded in place. I was lucky enough to be able to save the rear gutter. I had new side gutters bent up and are spot welded on and my attempt at shaping the front slope worked out ok.

Top of the skin and window frame needed to be replaced, which is now finished along with working on the corners and getting the shape close enough with the tools and skills I have. Hopefully my bogging skills will finish the job whenever that time comes.
Next major step is joining the new sheet bends i have to the roof skin, then spot welding that into the gutters and finishing the corners.
I havent touched the rest of the car yet besides stripping the interior, I dont want to waster time on the rest of the car yet until I know the roof is going to work out, the more I work on it the more confident I am getting that it will work out.
Have been poor at getting pics, but here are a few I do have..
Vehicle Light Window Car Motor vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Wood
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Mode of transport Wood
Hood Car Vehicle Wood Motor vehicle
Wood Workbench Hardwood Automotive exterior Beam
Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

·
Registered
nissan patrol
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So good mate, whats future plans for it

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
Just to get it into decent shape and looking and driving nice. Once all the rust issues are sorted I'll start playing with the driveline.. Dont really want to turn into into a bush rig, for now :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts