Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys very new to the site but a long time Nissan fan (there's currently 3 in the driveway)
And am looking at getting an unreg 86 model swb mq with the l28 motor as something to have fun in on the weekends.

The car has just ticked over 300k panels seem fine for the age and kms and power steer and a/c still work.

What things should I be looking for when inspecting the vehicle?

The owner said the carby has been replaced with a 350 holly and takes 30 mins to run properly in the winter which sounded a bit funny the car started fine when we went to see it.

Thanks

Sam

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
is this the car in mandurah, that bloke has been selling for nearly a year! i remember my mate rang him when he was shopping for a new MQ, the bloke wouldnt stop talking about the holley lol.

are you going to re-register it, coz if so then check all the fiddly little things like rubber bushes on the suspension, seat belt condition, chips in windscreen, oil leeks etc. too many of those things means it will cost a small fortune to get back good condition. if your just going to thrash it in the pines or something, then who cares, just get the right price. same mate mentioned before sold his rusty pos lwb with 253 in it and rego for 1200 before he started shopping for a new one, so consider that if shopping for a real basher.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This guy has owned it for Bout 8 months so not too sure. Not in a hurry to register it but will take all the above into consideration. I have decent mechanical knowledge but no experience with carbys just don't want to end up with a lemon. From what I have read the main problem seems to be rust with these things.

Just looking at this as a way to get into the 4wd scene and see more of wa!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,691 Posts
30 mins to run properly when in winter
What is it a jet ???
Seems to have an incorrect maybe jetted carb or even over carbed for the engine
(seems a common problem,bolting on incorrectly jetted holleys arent the answer)
The L28 are a good motor and take a good beatin,thou they are the cheaper end of spectrum in the MQ/MK range
Rust issues
Front floor pans,behind the seats in cabin,sills,rad support panel,body mount sections (where chassis and body bolt together)
Panels,roof gutters ,around windscreen (gutters and screen area a major issue in the earlies)

If the price isfair for its condition and bashin it off road is the object
Dont pay alot,go buy it and go for it

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like this thing sold anyways.

Thanks for the help guys have been browsing this forum and gaining some more knowledge, now looking for a SWB GQ....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts