Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1990 GQ Ute Leaf Upgrades

Journey of a 1990 GQ ute. Leaf spring all around, silver top 6cyl Td42 diesel NA, also known as a country mine spec for its 11" rear diff. In hindsight, I should've just sold it and got something a lot more suited to my needs, i.e.; a GQ wagon with coils and turbo. however I inherited this vehicle and as such I got complacent because there were no immediate upfront costs so it was easy for me "not to" think about how much I would end up spending in total.

The car had been sitting for 3 years by the time I got it, it had 190 000ks on it. Fuel pump was dodgy and needed all new tyres. Paint was ok. Since then it went to Fraser stock, and survived.no recovery gear but a thumper compressor for tyre pressures.

Serious upgrades started after that. 33's KO2BFGs on 16s and a 2inch lift. Lost the side steps as the tyres were catching. New injector pump and injectors, new fuel lines and engine mounts. new paint and upholstery in cab. new canopy. Custom drawers into tray. New AC unit, Extractors and 2.5inch pipe all the way through. New starter motor. New dipper switch and rewiring. Rats chewed out everything. HID light headlamp upgrade. LED parkers and indicators on front. New LED tail lights. New Alpine Headset and 6'' speakers on door cards. Onboard ARB twin compressor feeding airbags with wireless remote and digital gauge mounted under dash board

Pretty happy with it at the moment. Was considering turbo because of its sluggishness uphill, but learning to accept that it is what it is, and starting to trouble shoot with combustion intake and output as it feels starved sometimes. like its not breathing well. Either fuel mix or clogged muffler. Quite temperamental and have found parking on hill facing down makes it run better during the day.

I haven't found many write ups on these. If anyone has some info to share, please add to the comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Nice mate. Worth every cent you have spent on it. Looks heaps tidier than most of the GQ wagons at that age.

My brother had the exact same ute, except his was style side. Pretty rare to see the quarter windows on the doors as well.

Two of my mates both have GQ leafys as well, and in good nick like yours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The "park facing downhill" comment suggests there is air leaking into your fuel system somewhere.
Sound like your bang on the money there mate. Appreciate that. Im quite the novice so it was good to get pointed in the right direction. I think that'll be the first thing to go over. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely consider a turbo, you'll be surprised how much better it will drive with even a basic turbo kit with no pump mods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Andrew, I appreciate your opinion. Ive found that when its running fine without the "starved flow" issue so to speak, its actually quite nice to drive. Im happy to keep it as it is as that is how it was made I guess, but I'm looking into a wagon where no doubt ill be considering turbos to satisfy that need for boost. Thanks for your response

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice mate. Worth every cent you have spent on it. Looks heaps tidier than most of the GQ wagons at that age.

My brother had the exact same ute, except his was style side. Pretty rare to see the quarter windows on the doors as well.

Two of my mates both have GQ leafys as well, and in good nick like yours.
Hey Haggie, thanks for your comments mate. Was the style side the one with a hard sided tray? I think I've seen something like that before. Its def burnt a hole in my work ethic, but ah well. It feel good to drive it around.lol. Mate just quickly, with your mates that have them, have either of them upgraded their stock fuel tanks? As dKril had suggested, I might look into swapping out the old tank coz I'm pretty sure theres rubbish in there, and that way I can check all the lines are air tight as well etc before I even go at looking at the pump again. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hey Haggie, thanks for your comments mate. Was the style side the one with a hard sided tray? I think I've seen something like that before. Its def burnt a hole in my work ethic, but ah well. It feel good to drive it around.lol. Mate just quickly, with your mates that have them, have either of them upgraded their stock fuel tanks? As dKril had suggested, I might look into swapping out the old tank coz I'm pretty sure theres rubbish in there, and that way I can check all the lines are air tight as well etc before I even go at looking at the pump again. Thanks in advance.
Tanks are original as far as I know? They are both not turbo and go ok due to the factory 4.3 diff ratios. Yes factory hard side tub that could be removed and replaced with a tray. You do not see many around like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey mate, I know this post was from a while ago, but I was wondering if I could pick tour brain? I recently bought what appears to be an identical ute to yours. Completely stock standard. What did you do to upgrade the suspension?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts