Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
For 9yrs I have run a UFI 18g turbo (non billet), a CC top mount intercooler on my silvertop TD42, a modified high-rise inlet courtesy of UFI as well with zero issues. Originally had a DC3 but switched to a DC6 maybe 4yrs ago. Have always run 30psi max.

Over the years I routinely changed oil and filters every 5k, never used any oil or needed topping up whatsoever!.

But...lately, I've had comments about my truck blowing 'blue' out the back as opposed to to the usual black lol. Also I've noticed what seems to be oil 'splatter' on the white number plate above the exhaust. Before the last trip away...I had to top the oil up according to the dipstick by at least 2l which is highly unusual, got back home from that trip towing a trailer with zero oil used. BUT.....there's still blue smoke apparent on the open road and no loss of power.

Engine has maybe 300,000km.
Obviously I need to get it checked out - but advice or input as to where I should start would be welcome.

Cheers Jamie.

Reactions: GR-sharky

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,166 Posts
Do you run a catch can, if so does it collect much oil? I'd say you need to check how bad the blow-by is. It might be valve stem seals or it might simply be wearing out.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah mate, a Provent 200. Have always had around a shot glass of oil drain out of it every oil change since 2012 til now. I've never put a new filter in it but I do clean it out periodically.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,387 Posts
No mention of what oil you are using. Have you always used the same oil, or do you use different brands occasionally??

I reckon a proper oil flush using the CEM product and a quality oil would be a good test for the next service or two, and see if there is any difference.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No mention of what oil you are using. Have you always used the same oil, or do you use different brands occasionally??

I reckon a proper oil flush using the CEM product and a quality oil would be a good test for the next service or two, and see if there is any difference.
Yep, only ever use Delo 400 and Ryco Z9 filters.
Except with Delo 400 changing I now have to use the modern equivalent of Delo 400.

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I have not bought any Delo for a while (will need a drum next service) but last time I looked there was still two variants.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Delo 400 has changed it's product since I started using it in 2007. Now it's called Delo lmx or something.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Delo 400 has changed it's product since I started using it in 2007. Now it's called Delo lmx or something.
MGX.

First I have seen of it, so looks like they have changed the names of a couple of them.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MGX.

First I have seen of it, so looks like they have changed the names of a couple of them.
Correct, It's now Delo 400 MGX, still 15W40. I've run Delo since 2007.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't get me wrong, the Safari still gets off it's arse and hauls. Doesn't ratttle anymore than a normal TD42, doesn't overheat or anything.
Just puffs some blueish smoke and a bit of oil splatter out the back.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I would do a CEM oil flush and see how it goes, or alternatively get a compression test done.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would do a CEM oil flush and see how it goes, or alternatively get a compression test done.
Sweet as mate, I'll do that..cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts