Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
All work done the hard way
496 Posts
Can't wait to see your DIY radius arms. Keep up the good work! (y)

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I am totally gobsmacked by your work!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So I didn't manage to finish the radius arms this weekend but managed to make some mockup ones and sort of finalise the designs. Also managed to do most of the lathe work making the pins for the back and the bushing thingies. Still have to finish them and cut the plate for the body of the arms.
The two biggest reasons why I'm doing it like this is to avoid massive dropboxes from the frame acting like anchors in the snow and I'm gonna be making 3 different sets of the plates that bolt to the axle so I can set the caster and pinion angle as well as I can.

I will admit I am taking heavy inspiration from the arms from superior engineering but I like to think I'm putting enough of a spin on it to be able to say they are unique .

Hopefully I'll be able to finish them this week. So I can get going with the rest. Can't do anything until I fasten the front axle and to do that I need to finish the arms.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OMG :D I love it :D 46" and RD28?? U have 6" coils with blocks?
The 2.8 is not forever. I do have a 12mm piston for the injection pump and a new turbo to see what it can do but I know it's not gonna be good.
Until now it only had the 6" lift coils but It's gonna be lifted an extra 4" by moving the spring mounts and then 2" body lift my making new body mounts for the frame.

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I finished the radius arms. About 7 cm longer than the original and a built in 150 mm drop. Still need to finetune the plates that bolt them to the axle, thinking I make a few sets with different caster angles and when I find the one I want I just weld that to the axles.

I turned the sleeves for the bushings on the lathe at work, also made some stand in bushings so that I can test fit it without pressing in the bushings.

Then it was just a matter of cutting the body of the arm from some ST52 steel plate, 30 mm thick.

Welded the sleeves on a jig I made and went to test fit them. Everything looks good but I need to make some proper plates to bolt them to the axles.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i want that coils too :D :p
How its driving with tuned pump and turbo? (new stock turbo or hybrid?)
It's not finished yet. Still just the bare frame in my garage. Still have to fit the turbo and mod the injection pump. Want to finish all the grinding and welding first. I bought a GT2560r turbo, a little bigger than the original but I didn't want to go as big as the GT28. Trying to keep the boost at a lower rpm.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y60
114 Posts
yeah im also fighting with rust and welding... put some pics when U "touch" engine ;)

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
such an awesome build, well done that man..........
Thanks. I'm trying to do it different from how most guys do it. I don't like buying bolt on kits because anyone can do that. This one is gonna be unique.
Not a show car or some pristine build but unique nonetheless.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Epic, will follow this build.

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Had to put this project on a hold for a few weeks while I got my other rig ready for winter. Just to have something for when the snow hits.
But I finally had some spare time to get the replacement axles from a junk Y61 I had lying around.
Yanked the rear axle out from under the frame and tossed it outside.

Always funny how small the axle looks with these tyres.
I just started with cutting the spring perches off the frame and doing some cleanup. Measuring and marking to move them down. No need to move them bacl since the frame extension takes care of the 15 cm axle move back.

I

Made some gussets, welded and formed them to the radius of the perches.
Moving them down like this is a cheap and easy way to lift it and solves the problem with the rear perches tearing from the frame.
Now I'm just mocking up the axle to start fabricating the new link mounts.
The idea is to go with a triangulated four link
or an a-frame style and skip the track bar in the rear.
Might take a while.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
That's a very cool mod 👍

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Looking forward to see what you do for the links and mounting points.
Yeah me too haha.
I'm still trying to decide, keep switching back and forth between a triangulated four link and the a-frame. Not sure which is better. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ok so I finally got going with setting up the rear axle. I'm using the axles from a Y61 that I had lying around.
Just started by getting it centered between the frame and parallel to the front axle. Set the height from the frame what I suspect the ride height will be to set the pinion angle and link angle.
When I had everything set I just welded it to the frame and left it there while I started with the four link.

Then I just started cutting everything off that wasn't gonna use. Which is basically everything.
I cutt off the inner link towers on the axle and frame and the outer link mounts on the frame but kept them on the axle. Also cut off the sway bar mounts because nobody needs sway bars.

Finished cleaning the frame around the extensions and finished boxing it

Maybe I mentioned it before, I don't like buying kits. So I make my own.
Went down to work one day and drew up a kit for a semi triangulated four link for a Patrol.
Cut it out on the plasma table and used the press brake to bend what needed to be bent.
All in all took about 5 hours.

The truss on the axle is 10mm plate and the mounts are 6mm
I also made some plates to spread the load from the frame side mounts.

Bunch of measuring ensued. I had however set my mind on making the lower links 1 meter long. Dunno why just because.

Getting everything tacked together and double checking avery little thing. Took a while but it seems to have worked out.
These are only temporary arms, going to be making new ones when I get around to it.

So this project is taking a while but let's hope it's decent when it's finished. Next thing K have to do is move the mount for the shock absorber on the axle. Finish moving the body mounts on the frame. I'm going to be implementing the body lift by actually moving the mounts up. So plenty to do and not enough time.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts