Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y60
114 Posts
Love it :D I also think to made my own arms when i put 4 inch lift on my gq. So im waiting how U make arms :D

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Been slow progress on the 46" project, my times been split between two other projects. A 6.5 swapped y60 on 44" and an old dodge ram I have on 38".
I have however managed to do a couple of things.
Managed to fabricate the links for the rear. Just welded some bolts to some square tubing for a cheap jig and cut the 50 mm heavy wall pipe to fit between the bushing tubes.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with this first attempt at a triangulated four link
I also quickly tossed up four body mounts onto the frame as to locate the body when it goes on. I will then bolt the other new mounts and weld them to the frame after the body is on, seems easier this way.
The mounts at the rear need to be moved forward 15 cm because of the frame extension and all of them will be raised 5 cm as a body lift.

These mounts are not finished. Gotta drill out the plates on the two near the center of the frame and brace the ones at the rear. But all in all it's coming along.
Funny seeing as I go along how tall it's going to be. On the 46" baja claws I suspect the floor in the rear will be at my shoulder, standing at 186 cm. It may introduce problems later on but I'll deal with those when the arise.

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Quick update on the GQ. Been fiddling around with the panhard on the front axle and the steering

I stared at this for a good long while and finally settled on this after 3 different brackets. Because I've moved the axle so far forward, space is at a premium as to not foul the steering

I'm using the steering box out of the donor GU Y61. Mostly because it's a lot less worn. I'm gonna need a new drop arm for it, have to get that from a company here in Iceland that makes them. It's one of the very few things I'm not allowed to make myself. That arm has the same drop only the link goes up into the bottom of the arm not down into it.

I'm also gonna have to make a new high steer arm because this one is meant for a y60 axle and apparently the Y61 axle has more angle on the spindle inwards. I'm not sure I'm allowed to fab it myself but I'm gonna do it anyways.
A lot more small details different between the generations than I thought.
Just gotta keep going, no such thing as can't do.
As always open to any critique or suggestions.

·
Registered
115 Posts
On my truck project I had the taper recut on the other side of the Y60 pitman arm, I used a tie rod end that I found with the M22 thread. The recut taper still left more meat in the pitman than was on the Y60 original arm.

I can probably find out what the tie rod end came off, I think it was a landcruiser or Hilux...

Here is a drawing that clarifies it;

Tie rod.JPG

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
On my truck project I had the taper recut on the other side of the Y60 pitman arm, I used a tie rod end that I found with the M22 thread. The recut taper still left more meat in the pitman than was on the Y60 original arm.

I can probably find out what the tie rod end came off, I think it was a landcruiser or Hilux...

Here is a drawing that clarifies it;

View attachment 527649
I had considered that. Might even experiment with that before I buy the other one.
The only problem with the original Y61 arm is that the arm itself is a bit spindly and cast steel. Especially with the 46" tyres, guys here have been breaking the arm.
Now I'm gonna be running a hydraulic ram to assist so it might be fine. Just not sure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had considered that. Might even experiment with that before I buy the other one.
The only problem with the original Y61 arm is that the arm itself is a bit spindly and cast steel. Especially with the 46" tyres, guys here have been breaking the arm.
Now I'm gonna be running a hydraulic ram to assist so it might be fine. Just not sure.
Yeah I understand. The y61 one is massive compared to the y60, but I'm only running 33s so it will be more than enough.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts