Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ppl,

I picked up a 1997 Y60 TD42 few days ago, and have noticed 4 issues.

1) BLUE smoke on cold start up - if I give it three glow plug cycles NO smoke.

2) engine top end RATTLE at idle and during in town driving. I have had many td42s but this is more noticeable than others ( I have 2 other td42s at the moment and will try to compare cold start noise with them)

3) Vibration through chassis when setting off in first, changing to 2nd/3rd (howver if I accerate harder just before releasing the clutch there is almost no vibration)

4) a knocking noise from front left wheel area when going over speed humps / potholes, possibly a ball joint?

What do you think?

Heres a pic of the offending beast:

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
3.) is it just when the revs are low? If so should do this in reverse as well?

Your rig is a TD42 and not a TD42T? How about some engine bay piccys?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
211 Posts
As for the clunk, Id definately be checking your body mount. I had a body mount near my bullbar that let my panels clunk up and down. Took me ages to find where it was coming from.

Also check radius arm bushes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3) Yes this vibration is there even in reverse...... so what does that mean? idle speed too low?

Yes it is a TD42 none turbo 5 speed manual ... 30mpg :)

I have made a video with sound at cold start and under bonnet etc >>>> See video here

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
You can ship that low roof to me if you want....

I'll listen a few more times and think about it.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Most likely the top of the shock is broken off.

From the videos you posted I cannot hear any difference between the 2 engines other than the high roof with the black rocker cover has a loose or worn belt and maybe needs the valves adjusted.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a feeling that these shockers are wrong for this vehicle.....they look recent but possibly wrong.

I will check the belts in the morning.

Is there a "how to" for adjusting valves / tappets on the TD42?

I am getting a feeling that I like the high top and might want to hold on to it for my family use..... especially as its only used £15 of diesel (12 litres approx) to do 110 KM around town this week (I was using a Granvia 3.0TD auto last week and that used £30 for similar mileage:roll:)

I am willing to ship it to ANY location you want..... at the right price.

That low roof had a single owner since 1993 and he has kep it clean and tidy, leather, ac, manual TD42, factory difflock ....Its the cleanest Y60 I have seen in the UK.

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
1) most likely valve stem seals. If you leave it idle for a bit and rev it do you also get smoke.
2) valve clearances need adjusting. I think there's a manual in a sticky top ofthis section.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK-update

I did try the 2stroke oil..... didn't notice much difference.

If left to idle for a few minutes then revved results in no noticeable smoke - so I think its not valve seals.

However, I have found a leak which I think is from the fuel pipes coming from the fuel tank - video here
HTML:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-lVGASISR8?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-lVGASISR8?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Could this diesel leakin cause BLUE smoke on cold start?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I have had it a few weeks now and feel this is the one I will definetly keep for own use. yes it needs a little work and minor attention but it is one of the last Y60 TD42 safaris ever built.

I dropped the engine oil, oil, diesel,air filters - IT SURELY WAS OVERDUE! the oil filters had RUST on them! the air filter was black and the diesel filter had a coating of slime!

Fitted 33x9.5x15 DFgoodrich ATs

Collecting the +2" ironman suspension tomorrow and will do the brake pads axle/box oils on the weekend.

What type of diff oil / gearbox oil should I use? its done 245,000 kilometers now.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1) most likely valve stem seals. If you leave it idle for a bit and rev it do you also get smoke.
2) valve clearances need adjusting. I think there's a manual in a sticky top ofthis section.
1) no it does not smoke if left idle a while then revved - not stem seals BUT I found a load of sand/dirt in the fuel filter.

2) tappets will be done this weekend.

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
528 Posts
Faz,
The blue smoke on start up will be due to the metals in your cast iron engine not yet being expanded up to operting temp. When the engine is at the right temp (95-100degrees) it will assist teh burning of diesel, but when cold, it can't assist so more unburnt diesel goes out the chamber.

modern electronic engines compensate for this - mechanical engines cannot.

don't worry about smoke on start up if it goes away in a minute or two.

I am keen to hear how you went with the chassis vibration though, so i will keep reading.
Owen.

OK-update

I did try the 2stroke oil..... didn't notice much difference.

If left to idle for a few minutes then revved results in no noticeable smoke - so I think its not valve seals.

However, I have found a leak which I think is from the fuel pipes coming from the fuel tank - video here
HTML:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-lVGASISR8?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-lVGASISR8?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Could this diesel leakin cause BLUE smoke on cold start?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts