Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am new here I thought that I might as well give you all a bit of a history of my Patrol.

I bought the Patrol in 2009 when it was 11 years old. At the time of the sale it had a new MOT certificate. (Mandatory yearly inspection) So on paper all looked good.

11 months later I took the truck for its yearly inspection and it failed on 3 pages (A4) of defects. Most serious being the corrosion of the chassis rails behind the rear axle.

It was that rotten that you could just stick your finger through the chassis rails at various places.

Initially the plan was to take the body off and repair the damaged sections. However it became quickly clear that it was better to swap the whole chassis.

Bought a secondhand SWB chassis from a breaker.

Removed most of the interior to make the body as light as possible.

At that moment we rented a property with no garage so everything had to be done outside.

Removing the body with the help of some 2x4’s and some hollow concrete blocks.

And the body is off.

More to follow.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,259 Posts
That’s a big effort for a 12 year old.

Reactions: CEJM and werley

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a big effort for a 12 year old.
I couldn’t agree more but the previous owner was a farmer who lived on the coast. Lots more salt deposits in the ground along the coast, which was then picked up by driving through the field. The chassis was packed with mud, which is far from ideal. Especially as Nissan’s corrosion prevention is not that brilliant to start with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything going back on the truck was cleaned and painted.

Axle

Tow bar and fuel tank protector.

And finally it started all coming back together again.

The body was refitted in the same way as it was removed. Refitted the dash.

Whilst removing the oil cooler a fitting sheared off. Nissan wanted $1000AUD for a new cooler so I made my own.

Also rewired the tail lights, now the light clusters in the body also light up instead of just the bumper ones.

·
Premium Member
1999 GU Wagon ST RD28
536 Posts
Great thread. Keep it coming
We don’t have the SWB in Oz unfortunately.
Would have some sales down here for sure.

Reactions: CEJM

·
Registered
GU 3L '03
28 Posts
Haha, that's just great. I feel better about pulling the head off in the park because I also have no garage living on a boat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Garages are overrated!, 😂 Since the work above was done we have moved and I now have a garage. Having said that, I am rebuilding the engine with the truck parked outside (Engine still in the truck), head and sump are both off at the moment. A job that was going to take a few days is now taking at least 4 weeks. All the parts were ordered and at home when I pulled the first piston out. Only to find that the new rings didn’t fit. Thanks to a very helpful member on this forum the rings should be dispatched from Australia before the end of this week.

The head went of to an engine shop to have the glow plugs removed. Initially they said that it would take them a day. 3 came out with a bit of persuasion and the other 3 sheared off. It seems that these glow plugs are quite difficult to remove compared to other makes. Hence, 2 weeks later and they still have the head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts