Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 rd28 patrol that when I got it it was running rough. I then changed the glow plugs waste gate hose, fuel filter, oil and oil filter. started easier but still ran a little rough. There was fuel getting to it. I also changed the fuel soleniod thought it may be sticky. So I took it down to a diesel mechanic and he had a look and said needs a new injector pump. Anyway I mangaged to get a second hand one offline and it looked in good nick. But didn't come with the front cog. So my mechanic friend pump this newer pump in and it is hard to start and won't idle. When it does run there is enough fuel going to it. He put the timing cog same place as the old one so it should be fine? Anyway it seems sound better but it won't idle or stay on and hard to start. What would be the cause? Should I change the fuel solenoid from the old one to my new one or is it something else? My mechanic friend was going to get a gauge to adjust the fuel at the back of the pump or something! What do you guys think? Thanks guys

·
Registered
Nissan
3 Posts
Hello I would do a search for "advance timing plate" on this forum. In my case it cured my green lump of a car. I just soldered a 4mm thick disc on the regular timing plate and now it acts like there never was a problem

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
You sure the second hand injector pump isn't shagged? Is there a way of getting it tested? (Did the diesel mechanic test it at all?)
I mean if its running rougher than before, and the pump is all you've changed, then everything points to the pump IMO.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
You seem to be focusing on a fuel issue. It may well be, but an air leak somewhere in the system will have the same effects. Have you checked for any air leaks in the fuel system? ;)

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But we cracked the injectors and there was heaps of fuel coming out when I got the pump it didn't have the front cog on it so we put it on exactly as the other one was on lined up maybe it s on the wrong spot for timing? The engine when runs runs better then the old one the old one did idle but it ran really rough if that makes sense I don't know what to do

1 - 6 of 6 Posts