Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this has been covered many times, but there seems to be no definitive answer.
I can get hold of a 2.75" outback exhaust relatively cheaply and was wondering whether i should go for it or just stump up for a 3" exhaust.
I have a bigger intercooler, dawes, egr block, catch can, usual basics done so far.
Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
70 Posts
What engine do you have?
I have a similar question.
Does anyone know for each type of engine, the appropriate pipe diameter?
I have stainless steel pipes, but they are 50 mm diameter.
I consider making an exhaust pipe out of them.
Is that enough for the ZD30 engine?

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,510 Posts
i know this has been covered many times, but there seems to be no definitive answer.
I can get hold of a 2.75" outback exhaust relatively cheaply and was wondering whether i should go for it or just stump up for a 3" exhaust.
I have a bigger intercooler, dawes, egr block, catch can, usual basics done so far.
Any advice will be appreciated.
I think the main reason why there is no definitive answer is because people's experiences differ quite a bit. The mods you have will play a significant role as no two Patrols are the same once they get to the point where yours is now.

My interpretation of it is that 2.75" is safe, easy to do and shouldn't have any major dramas. The benefits of 3" over 2.75" is debatable and some people start having issues with fault codes and check-engine lights when a 3" is coupled with additional mods. I don't believe it's anything that cannot be overcome, but you need to be aware that you might be up for some additional work to get it to run properly again with your existing mods.

If you plan on squeezing more power out in future, go for the 3". If you think you've achieved what you want with the current setup, a 2.75" will do and 3" is probably not worth the extra effort.

What engine do you have?
I have a similar question.
Does anyone know for each type of engine, the appropriate pipe diameter?
I have stainless steel pipes, but they are 50 mm diameter.
I consider making an exhaust pipe out of them.
Is that enough for the ZD30 engine?
The standard ZD30 exhaust is 50mm, so if you just want to replace the current setup, you'll be fine. But if you plan on doing any mods in future, you're better off going for something a little bigger.

·
Registered
nissan
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the main reason why there is no definitive answer is because people's experiences differ quite a bit. The mods you have will play a significant role as no two Patrols are the same once they get to the point where yours is now.

My interpretation of it is that 2.75" is safe, easy to do and shouldn't have any major dramas. The benefits of 3" over 2.75" is debatable and some people start having issues with fault codes and check-engine lights when a 3" is coupled with additional mods. I don't believe it's anything that cannot be overcome, but you need to be aware that you might be up for some additional work to get it to run properly again with your existing mods.

If you plan on squeezing more power out in future, go for the 3". If you think you've achieved what you want with the current setup, a 2.75" will do and 3" is probably not worth the extra effort.

The standard ZD30 exhaust is 50mm, so if you just want to replace the current setup, you'll be fine. But if you plan on doing any mods in future, you're better off going for something a little bigger.

Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately my patrol is an auto, so pretty asthmatic at best.
So it seems 3" is the go.
Thanks for the adivce.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
70 Posts
In my car European version made or assembled in Nederlands the exhaust is 60mm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts